SPFL Reserve League 2018/19

Today was the day all Scottish football's problems ended as we returned to a Reserve League.

The league has 18 teams playing each other once, with additional games made up through a new Reserve League Cup. Most games are scheduled to kick-off at the fan-friendly time of 2:00pm.

This week's games:

• Celtic 3-0 Dunfermline (Jordan OG, Henderson, Duffy)
  • Dundee 3-2 St Johnstone (Moussa, Bradbury, Moore; Hendry, Hurst)
  • Falkirk 0-3 Morton (Johnstone 2, Purdue)
  • Hibernian 4-1 Partick Thistle (Mackie, Shanley, Woods, Gullan; Fitzpatrick)
  • Kilmarnock 4-1 Hamilton (Thomas, Cameron 2, Millen; Mimnaugh)
  • Motherwell 2-0 Hearts (Newell, McLaughlin)
  • Queen of South 1-2 Rangers (Murray; Kelly, Dallas)
  • Ross County 0-1 Aberdeen (Anderson)
  • St Mirren 5-0 Dundee United (King 2, Glover 2, Cooke)

Full fixture list: https://spfl.co.uk/admin/filemanager/images/shares/pdfs/SPFL Reserve League Fixtures_WEB.pdf

Current table: https://spfl.co.uk/league/rl1/table

How did your side get on? Dundee beat St Johnstone 3-2, with ten men. Hendry and Hurst on target for Saints at Links Park (Kane missed a penalty); Moussa, Bradbury and Moore netted for the hosts.

Edited by Radford

Just now, accies1874 said:

Are Scotland great at football yet? 

Believe every young player has improved massively in the course of one afternoon because they played against some first team fringe players. Glory days are back.

17 hours ago, Radford said:

Today was the day all Scottish football's problems ended as we returned to a Reserve League.

I may well be wrong but I have a sneaking little suspicion you might not be a fan of the Reserve League. Why's that? 

12 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

I may well be wrong but I have a sneaking little suspicion you might not be a fan of the Reserve League. Why's that? 

I would fully support a return to a proper Reserve League but this is struggling to even be as structured and professional as the Development League, which we kept getting told wasn't working.

I think the environment is almost as important as anything for the young players. I'm not advocating the IRN-BRU Cup as a testing ground whatsoever but that was a real test last week for the young players of both Saints and United, in a proper stadium in front of 700 fans. Clearly you wouldn't get that many supporters at run-of-the-mill Reserve League games but if they were played in proper (home) stadiums and reasonable times then you would create a better environment. I haven't seen all the venues from yesterday but if they aren't already, bigger clubs will be playing these matches on their training grounds in the afternoon before the season is out, I can almost guarantee it. How does that prepare young players for first team football? I also think there is less of a hiding place for senior players if these games try and replicate a first team environment with fans present, they can't just go through the motions as some undoubtedly will effectively behind closed doors. Again, how do young players benefit from that?

Rather than being against the Reserve League, I'm more just sceptical that this is any big change from the U20 or Development Leagues that came before it.

15 minutes ago, Radford said:

I would fully support a return to a proper Reserve League but this is struggling to even be as structured and professional as the Development League, which we kept getting told wasn't working.

I think the environment is almost as important as anything for the young players. I'm not advocating the IRN-BRU Cup as a testing ground whatsoever but that was a real test last week for the young players of both Saints and United, in a proper stadium in front of 700 fans. Clearly you wouldn't get that many supporters at run-of-the-mill Reserve League games but if they were played in proper (home) stadiums and reasonable times then you would create a better environment. I haven't seen all the venues from yesterday but if they aren't already, bigger clubs will be playing these matches on their training grounds in the afternoon before the season is out, I can almost guarantee it. How does that prepare young players for first team football? I also think there is less of a hiding place for senior players if these games try and replicate a first team environment with fans present, they can't just go through the motions as some undoubtedly will effectively behind closed doors. Again, how do young players benefit from that?

Rather than being against the Reserve League, I'm more just sceptical that this is any big change from the U20 or Development Leagues that came before it.

That's fair enough. I'd agree with virtually all of that. I thought it was the whole principle of the Reserve League you were against rather than just the application.