SFA Hall of Fame

garrellburn

I hear on tonights BBC scottish News that Glenbuck village has been nominated for the SFA hall of fame. Has anyone associated ONLY with junior football ever been nominated, and if not, who would you put forward, living or dead, for inclusion. Stand aside for the rush of Talbot fans to make their nominations.

Not a lot of nominees so far! Looking back over the years since the introduction of the awards the overwhelming majority are players as you would expect, with a fair sprinkling of managers, many of whom had also been players. Other than that we have one referee, one female footballer and one whom we might term back room boy (Stewart Hillis). It seems to be the norm to induct about 5 or 6 each year now.

There are no administrators listed, rightly or wrongly. A few players who played virtually all their football in England and although they did get Scottish caps there are plenty of others who had far more who don't get a mention. 

I can think of at least a handful of junior players and officials who at least merit consideration and I would include a certain Talbot manager amongst them! I will put forward my own nomination and that is Alex Querrie who played most of his junior football fior Kilsyth Rangers. His achievements include 260 goals in six seasons for us, I know a few others have scored more than that, but over a much longer period. His main claim to fame though is that he became the first player ever to score four goals in a Hampden cup final in 1955, beating a certain Mr Puskas by five years. Also the small matter of a record number of goals scored in one years competition of the Scottish Junior Cup and scoring in every round in the same season.

I look forward to your own choices and perhaps next year we can agree to put a couple of them forward and see what happens.

34 minutes ago, garrellburn said:

Not a lot of nominees so far! Looking back over the years since the introduction of the awards the overwhelming majority are players as you would expect, with a fair sprinkling of managers, many of whom had also been players. Other than that we have one referee, one female footballer and one whom we might term back room boy (Stewart Hillis). It seems to be the norm to induct about 5 or 6 each year now.

There are no administrators listed, rightly or wrongly. A few players who played virtually all their football in England and although they did get Scottish caps there are plenty of others who had far more who don't get a mention. 

I can think of at least a handful of junior players and officials who at least merit consideration and I would include a certain Talbot manager amongst them! I will put forward my own nomination and that is Alex Querrie who played most of his junior football fior Kilsyth Rangers. His achievements include 260 goals in six seasons for us, I know a few others have scored more than that, but over a much longer period. His main claim to fame though is that he became the first player ever to score four goals in a Hampden cup final in 1955, beating a certain Mr Puskas by five years. Also the small matter of a record number of goals scored in one years competition of the Scottish Junior Cup and scoring in every round in the same season.

I look forward to your own choices and perhaps next year we can agree to put a couple of them forward and see what happens.

There's a wonderful irony here. In the OP he stated "Stand aside for the rush of Talbot fans to make their nominations" and then nominates someone from his own club. Priceless.

7 hours ago, TFW said:

There's a wonderful irony here. In the OP he stated "Stand aside for the rush of Talbot fans to make their nominations" and then nominates someone from his own club. Priceless.

By mentioning a certain Talbot manager I acknowledge the great achievements of that club and its players and officials but I will stop short of actually nominating him, its up to someone else to do that. As the nominations for this year have already closed then its too late anyway. But why not for next time? It would do a lot to raise the profile of the junior game if we actually had a nomination accepted, who makes the decision anyway? I suspect a cabal of high officials within the SFA who can then enjoy the "fantastic dinner" which seems to be an important part of the awards ceremony, with no doubt a few drinks as well.

Junior football has been a very important part of Scottish football for more than a century and we might be about to see its demise, so would now not be the time to get some recognition of that.  I strongly suspect we will see another couple of women players nominated very soon,  going by their high profile on media at the moment.  As for the 'rush' of Talbot fans which has failed to materialise there are not slow to talk up their club and its players on other threads, why so shy now?

Talbot's success has always come as a result of the team, rather than any individual. It's still the same now as it's always been. Yes, we have had some cracking individual players - and they adorn the walls of our very own Hall of Fame in the Social Club, but it's always the team first.

players seem to get too much recognition,  i would like to see the SJFA having a thank you dinner for the unsung heroes of the game, the committee persons, have a big shindig for each club and its fans to nominate 2 people to enjoy a right good night and have their names recorded. For the winton of those still alive I would say Willie Kean and Bobby MacNamara. 

Archived