Berwick v Annan

First of all 0-3 flattered a bang average Annan side. Stupid goal to give away early in the game when we were on top.
Second Half we looked like we'd come out of it with a draw at worst, should have had a penalty when the Annan keeper punched Murrell. Didn't get the breaks at vital times and Olly's goal looked on-side. 
Second goal killed the game, great cross when Adams was stargazing between the posts.
Another flury from Berwick followed including the pass of the game by John Neil but as per the first 9 games there was nobody to get on the end of it.
Lead-up to the third goal was comical defending, Ross Brown left one short to Fleming who lunged at his opponent on the edge of the box. Well taken free kick but Adams was slow getting down.
Hugely disappointing result in a winnable game. More experienced players again dreadful. O'Kane can't pass wind, Phillips and Murrell want ten mins on the ball and three fields to play in. Brown has quickly played a wonderful part of the invisible man.  Todd and Healy were by far our best on the day.
Now we have the pleasure of certain locals that don't go to games telling us where we are going wrong. 

Good summary of the game. I also though Lavery did well when he came on and created a few chances, though we don’t really have anyone to put them away. Our corners were also fairly good.

It wasn’t a 3-0 kind of game, but we’re mistake prone at the back and although Healy had a good game and you couldn’t have asked for much more, we will struggle to score. Granted this was my first game of the season against opposition of our level, but I thought the full backs were probably our weakest position. Whether that was confidence I don’t know, but neither seemed that interested in looking for the ball when others were under pressure. Desperate for new bodies before the deadline.

Or we could ditch it all and start again, watching Neil Oliver, hot on the heels of his outstanding success at Duns and Coldstream lead a bunch of plucky young locals to League One. Hmm.

I tend to agree with Robbies view that it's a young back 4, and constantly changing with suspension and injury; along with the goalkeeper. I hope the defensive unit has a chance to form, and play together and they will improve as a unit. IMHO both full backs worked hard, defended pretty well and caused problems up front. Continuity is the key for me.
I hope that starts next week and optimistic it will.
What these boys need is positive suport rather than talk of need for wholesale changes. I'm generally seeing that , apart from one guy in the ducket yesterday bawling negativity at every opportunity. Everyone's entitled to their opinion however, some balance might have been good though.

Berwick fans, don’t beat yourselves or your team up. Berwick is a young team that will improve with time and will pick up points, which will lead to mid table at least.
From what has been said on this post Annan appear to be doing what it does best. Soak up the pressure, hit on the break and get back on the bus leaving the opposition wondering how they lost the game .

It doesn't seem quite so bad 24 hours later.  (Someone should take my phone off me till the beer wears off).

Several positives - Willis should have scored in the first and Lavery in the second after 2 superb passes. Great save from Cook's header, quality corners, good effort throughout 90 minutes, stonewall penalty, goal chalked off for dodgy offside. 

The negatives were the really silly mistakes especially for the crucial first goal and the poor passing from our senior midfielders. 

The club has however, (imho), turned a sharp corner off the pitch. We will see signings and new Directors/investment and the future is more positive.  Will take time of course but I'm confident we will have a much stronger team before Xmas, and can certainly win at Albion next week.

8 hours ago, Emfaefifeyahoorsur said:

Berwick fans, don’t beat yourselves or your team up. Berwick is a young team that will improve with time and will pick up points, which will lead to mid table at least.
From what has been said on this post Annan appear to be doing what it does best. Soak up the pressure, hit on the break and get back on the bus leaving the opposition wondering how they lost the game .

Hmmm more possession, more shots and 3 more goals. Some of the comments do not seem to add up? Queens Park said the same, but again the vitals show different. I think in all but one league game we have had most of the possession, which suggests, we do not soak up pressure and hit on the break. If this was the cas our percentage would be much lower than the oppo. 

5FD66426-A988-4DAB-87D6-19BE5B1F8773.png

D98E1A96-33D6-4681-AD78-01F220B39704.png

2 hours ago, Emfaefifeyahoorsur said:

Match statistics mean nothing. They can be interpreted any way you wish. The comments from both QP and Berwick fans tell the story. They both thought they did enough to get something from the games but didn’t. They lost and don’t know how and that is exactly where I am coming from.

The captain of the Titanic didn't think it was sinking . He told everyone it wasn't .

2 hours ago, Emfaefifeyahoorsur said:

Match statistics mean nothing. They can be interpreted any way you wish. The comments from both QP and Berwick fans tell the story. They both thought they did enough to get something from the games but didn’t. They lost and don’t know how and that is exactly where I am coming from.

I would not say they mean nothing. They do not mean everything. But if your team lose at home 0-3 and have fewer shots and possession, you cannot really say you do not know how you did not get anything from the game. 

Maybe if it was 0-1 or even 0-2 and you had more shots on target, you may feel you should have got something. But 0-3, fewer shots and less possession, nope. 

I will say that Queens Park, could have and should have been 1 up at half time, but only one team in it during the 2nd half. 

I think rose tinted glasses by many for their own team. 

2 hours ago, the philosopher said:

Annan  have played Berwick twice this year.Aggregate score Berwick 0 Annan 7. How many more do we have to score to convince  you  we are simply a lot better  than you this year.

We are all  just gobsmacked to have found an Annan fan that can count to more than 5 

On 27/08/2018 at 06:45, dougster said:

We are all  just gobsmacked to have found an Annan fan that can count to more than 5 

Oooooooo look at you. 

Maths A level, qualified accountant, credit manager ICM qualified (degree) oh an a Annan fan. You would be amazed. 

But im sure a lot of Berwick fans have had to learn how to count quickly, with the amount you lot are shipping! 

On 26/08/2018 at 23:01, Emfaefifeyahoorsur said:

Match statistics mean nothing. They can be interpreted any way you wish. The comments from both QP and Berwick fans tell the story. They both thought they did enough to get something from the games but didn’t. 

Can't speak for the Berwick game but QP weren't exactly impressive either. Yes they were heavily on top in the 1st half but their best player was the wind, and both teams knew it. The last 5 minutes of the 1st half were played out like the last 5 minutes of a cup tie if Annan needed to hold on to a 1 goal lead.

Annan were awful in the 1st half but knew they just had to last til half time and then they could start playing. Having said that, if QP's offside goal at around the 20 minute mark had stood it would have been a different story.

On 27/08/2018 at 01:39, AAFCSim said:

I would not say they mean nothing. They do not mean everything.

Well put

Oooooooo look at you. 
Maths A level, qualified account, credit manager ICM qualified (degree) oh an a Annan fan. You would be amazed. 
But im sure a lot of Berwick fans have had to learn how to count quickly, with the amount you lot are shipping! 

Account or accountant? [emoji809][emoji810][emoji811][emoji808]️

Oooooooo look at you. 
Maths A level, qualified accountant, credit manager ICM qualified (degree) oh an a Annan fan. You would be amazed. 
[emoji38] Inbred gimp

Archived