Queen’s Park v Albion Rovers

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, bobthespider said:

Thought we were good today for the first hour against a poor Albion side . Pleased Mortimer scored and thought he was man of the match.

Fixed that for you Bob, but otherwise I completely agree. Certainly an attacking line up with three potential strikers, but convinced Smart fancies playing out wide as his body language suggests otherwise and his fresh air-swipe when the penalty was about to be given was quite frankly embarrassing for this level.

1 hour ago, bobthespider said:

Thought we were good today against a poor Albion side . Pleased Mortimer scored and thought he was man of the match.

Agree. That was a very comfortable display which could easily have ended 4 or 5 nil. Mortimer's display was excellent and I was delighted to see him score. Roberts drove the midfield and the balance and line up was good. There are at least four or five others in the team who I would prefer to see taking the penalties. Just as well it was a poor Albion side we were playing. On this performance they are really going to struggle this season.

Did what we had to do. We weren’t even very good and looked in no danger. Seriously worrying for Rovers.

Highlights were Mortimer getting his first goal. He’s worked incredibly hard this season and the players surrounding him showed what it meant when he scored. Also really like the look of young James Grant. Certainly looks capable of going up a level if he keeps at it.

14 hours ago, The Spider said:

Fixed that for you Bob, but otherwise I completely agree. Certainly an attacking line up with three potential strikers, but convinced Smart fancies playing out wide as his body language suggests otherwise and his fresh air-swipe when the penalty was about to be given was quite frankly embarrassing for this level.

Bit hard on Smart. He was not the intended recipient of the cross and credit to him for following up the play. Something we have not been good at before. He was about six inches in front of where he would have wanted to be and his weight was on the wrong foot. He could not have corrected that as his right foot was up for a shot thus preventing him from checking back. It is one of those occasions when you are made to look a fool out of nothing. I thought he had an excellent first half with some clever touches and made himself available which is another attribute we have lacked. His header was not the best but he was there to attempt it.

Thought we were very good in the first half with players running at defenders and into space really well rather than some of the side to side stuff we've seen of late. Should've or could've gone in at HT 4-0 to the good with more ruthless finishing and more luck . I didn't think we really got going in the second and stopped doing all the good stuff from the first. Possibly now found the best role for Kurtis. Who is next for penalties? Possibly the poorest Albion side I can ever remember. Interesting debut for Hawke. Really pleased for Billy.

Really enjoyed that first half yesterday. Yes, Rovers are poor but we still lifted our game and kept the tempo up throughout the half. Very encouraging. Mortimer's resurgence continues and you could almost hear the "thank f**k" up in the stands when he scored. The overhead effort shows his confidence and self-belief is high - keep it going Billy.. Had the penalty been converted (Gibby will know) we might have gone on the rampage but it's alway tough breaking down ten men. Gus was right to take an early opportunity to get some of the youngsters on when it was clear we wouldn't lose this game. If nothing else it's proved how far Mortimer has stretched himself. Summers is another who has really accelerated his progress and Grant seems to be improving by the week at the moment. These three should be an inspration to the other youngsters coming through.

Two very good goals, some lovely football and a clean sheet at home. Happy days. 

Very impressed with the first half performance. Pleased how Gus had us set up and hope he repeats for most of the upcoming home games. Also pleased with the quality he has brought in, my first look at Mclean and looks like he could be very useful. The game passed Hawke by him a bit but he will get better. With Mckernon and Roberts pulling the strings in midfield and Billy and Smart showing speed and trickery on the wings things look bright. Not forgetting a really solid defence, goalkeeper and talented wing backs, could be a good season.

What a soft first goal to lose, shite sclaffed clearance, boy in middle of park on his heels leaving the QP player free to run on to it, then f**k knows what the keeper was upto.

Never win games playing like that, total basics letting you down.

2 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

Bit hard on Smart. He was not the intended recipient of the cross and credit to him for following up the play. Something we have not been good at before. He was about six inches in front of where he would have wanted to be and his weight was on the wrong foot. He could not have corrected that as his right foot was up for a shot thus preventing him from checking back. It is one of those occasions when you are made to look a fool out of nothing. I thought he had an excellent first half with some clever touches and made himself available which is another attribute we have lacked. His header was not the best but he was there to attempt it.

Spot on Willie. One of the things that’s held good players back is over-criticism leading to fear of taking responsibility.  Midfielders in for the kill should be encouraged, not mocked.

2 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

Just watched the video Willie and sorry, but I can't find it within myself to amend my initial view. Always easy when you're looking on from your seat instead of being in the thick of the action, but it looked to me like a left footed player who had no confidence in his right foor and so tried to adjust his body weight to play the ball with his stronger foot, when it would have ben a much easier task to turn his body towards the direction the ball was coming in and play the equivalent of a first-time pass goalwards. Had his effort hit the 'keeper then I'd have been a lot more forgiving, but a natural striker (which is what we were all hoping for when we acquired him) would not have missed the ball completely in my view.

As far as his header was concerned, there again I'm afraid I have issues with it. It was extremely noticeable (to me at any rate) that Gus was coaching (and for once not bawling!) Smart in the two minutes leading up to that opportunity by telling him to stop drifting towards the centre of the six yard line and remain beyond the back post so that he could come on to an over-hit cross instead of back-pedalling to reach it. That's exactly what happened when that cross came over, and he was unable to adjust sufficiently to get above the ball. That's something you learn through experience, but the problem for me is that Smart's well beyond the "up and coming youngster stage.

Don't get me wrong though, as I like him and still think he has something to offer the team, but like Cool Hand Luke last season it's going to take a while before Gus works out the best way to use his enigmatic talent for the best overall benefit of the team. I was a little bit concerned that at times his body language suggested he was a little bit miffed at losing the main striker role to Billy yesterday, and it was to my pleasant surprise yesterday that Gus made a demonstrative point of giving him a pat on the back when he came off yesterday. That made me think that Gus knows he's got a player of value there, and that it's just a question of Gus getting Smart to realise that there's a lot he can bring to the team without being the main target man.

I was quietly impressed with Hawke yesterday, as he didn't try to over-do things on this debut and kept things simple winning lots of headers and being an integral link-up player when we were moving the ball around quickly in the first half.  Should have lifted the ball over the 'keeper for the chance he missed instead of sidefooting Mortimer's pass/mis-hit shot straight at him, but apart from that he looked good as did Scott McLean who's (as Pass and Move pointed out) another I think will have a good season for us. So lots to be thankful for (notice that last week's doom and gloom merchants have all of a sudden become a lot less critical) and Gus still hasn't made his move in the loan market yet either so perhaps further improvement to come.

Finally, and I don't know if it was just my imagination or not, but yesterday I can't recall Gus having many (if any?) major strops and it appeared to me that he was tempering his "encouragement" a bit, so if that was the case and it's not a one-off is that another knock-on effect of the effect of having Mark Roberts beside him now, or was the fact that Billy was restored to centre forward yesterday and finally broke his duck connected to that coaching change too?

55 minutes ago, The Spider said:

Just watched the video Willie and sorry, but I can't find it within myself to amend my initial view. Always easy when you're looking on from your seat instead of being in the thick of the action, but it looked to me like a left footed player who had no confidence in his right foor and so tried to adjust his body weight to play the ball with his stronger foot, when it would have ben a much easier task to turn his body towards the direction the ball was coming in and play the equivalent of a first-time pass goalwards. Had his effort hit the 'keeper then I'd have been a lot more forgiving, but a natural striker (which is what we were all hoping for when we acquired him) would not have missed the ball completely in my view.

As far as his header was concerned, there again I'm afraid I have issues with it. It was extremely noticeable (to me at any rate) that Gus was coaching (and for once not bawling!) Smart in the two minutes leading up to that opportunity by telling him to stop drifting towards the centre of the six yard line and remain beyond the back post so that he could come on to an over-hit cross instead of back-pedalling to reach it. That's exactly what happened when that cross came over, and he was unable to adjust sufficiently to get above the ball. That's something you learn through experience, but the problem for me is that Smart's well beyond the "up and coming youngster stage.

Don't get me wrong though, as I like him and still think he has something to offer the team, but like Cool Hand Luke last season it's going to take a while before Gus works out the best way to use his enigmatic talent for the best overall benefit of the team. I was a little bit concerned that at times his body language suggested he was a little bit miffed at losing the main striker role to Billy yesterday, and it was to my pleasant surprise yesterday that Gus made a demonstrative point of giving him a pat on the back when he came off yesterday. That made me think that Gus knows he's got a player of value there, and that it's just a question of Gus getting Smart to realise that there's a lot he can bring to the team without being the main target man.

I was quietly impressed with Hawke yesterday, as he didn't try to over-do things on this debut and kept things simple winning lots of headers and being an integral link-up player when we were moving the ball around quickly in the first half.  Should have lifted the ball over the 'keeper for the chance he missed instead of sidefooting Mortimer's pass/mis-hit shot straight at him, but apart from that he looked good as did Scott McLean who's (as Pass and Move pointed out) another I think will have a good season for us. So lots to be thankful for (notice that last week's doom and gloom merchants have all of a sudden become a lot less critical) and Gus still hasn't made his move in the loan market yet either so perhaps further improvement to come.

Finally, and I don't know if it was just my imagination or not, but yesterday I can't recall Gus having many (if any?) major strops and it appeared to me that he was tempering his "encouragement" a bit, so if that was the case and it's not a one-off is that another knock-on effect of the effect of having Mark Roberts beside him now, or was the fact that Billy was restored to centre forward yesterday and finally broke his duck connected to that coaching change too?

Good post. I would agree with everything you say but I thought your first post re Smart was somewhat unbalanced in that it ignored the positive contributions he made. Your latest description could have been lifted from 60 odd years ago to describe Charlie Church and he was OK in my book. I too was impressed with the coaching from Gus on the sidelines and was pleased to see the  appreciation of Smart"s contribution when he came off. Long may this continue. Saw Roberts taking players aside for one on one coaching.  There were a lot of plus points at Hampden yesterday.

4 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

I thought your first post re Smart was somewhat unbalanced in that it ignored the positive contributions he made.

Guilty as charged m'lud, but I'd ask that numerous previous convictions be taken into account and that the charge be reduced to "selective" rather than "unbalanced" as I only had time at that point to post a quick couple of sentences, and that miss was clearly fresh in my mind (and those of others judging by subsequent posts).  For the stenographer's record though I thought that Smart had a good first half, but faded badly after half time. I remain a fan though, but am not yet convinced he'll last beyond September as the squad is strengthening and he'll have to improve his consistency levels if he's to remain a regular starter, and I think he's the kind of player who would rather be a regular at a lower level than become a regular on the bench......a bit like yourself your honour :)

Archived