The battle for 4th - Clyde v Edinburgh City

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Utterly shocking today, first 60 mins was a low key a game as I’ve ever witnessed. We were so bad that I’m not convinced Goodwillie would have even made the difference. Worry worrying performance,. 

Nicol producing one of his too often awful displays at Broadwood. Boyle and McStay are not the players they were last year. Not sure exactly what our midfield is all about, I assumed Rankin was a Centre mid but is pushed wide to accommodate Nicol, Lamont should start. Stewart of course was a big miss today

Up front nothing to say; we all know the issues. Big test for Lennon now, some big decisions required and done difficult conversions required with a few players after today. Will console myself with the old it’s early days still but that team with that performance is a mile away from top 4 place.

Edinbourgh City did what they do...stay in the game as long as it takes and take a chance when it comes, deserved victory, . No complaints from me about them, given our performance 100% best team won.

Really poor today. Edinburgh deserved to win but both goals could have been avoided was atrocious defending for both.

Desperately need another striker or two but the midfield never showed up today either.

Predictably poor.

We were a shadow of usual selves without David Goodwillie. And but for the odd cut-back and lofted-ball, we never threatened Edinburgh.

While Edinburgh didn't trouble us much in first half, it was predictable that Sheppard's hard-work, in combination with Henderson's presence would eventually tell the teams apart.

Losing Stewart wasn't ideal today. Nor Boyle to injury in the second-half. The difference of problems really lay with a guileless, sluggish midfield and a poverty of movement and presence ahead of it. You could probably criticise Cuddihy, who was skinned a couple of times, and the rest of the defence if you wanted to be harsh. And really negative spin would be: we're at home, playing a 4-5-1, and we're still losing two-goals to Edinburgh.

If we want to win the league, we'll need to get a forward in, get a dogs-body in for the midfield, and get Tom Lang back on the park ahead of Rumsby.

Huge credit to Edinburgh: that's a right decent side they've put together. Fairly big laddies, good fitness about them; good mix of pace and presence; good mix of youth and experience.

Next...

Edinburgh by far the better team deserved the win

As for us well that was chapmanesc. Devoid of any plan apart from thump it forward a midfield apart from nicoll who played well the rest pulled out of challenges how grant stayed on for 90 minutes is beyond me mcstay was ok

Boyle and cogill don't look interested as cuddhy at least tried and should be put back into midfield, can't even make changes for next week as 80% of the bench is utter guff

I'm away for beer [emoji16]

17 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Really poor today. Edinburgh deserved to win but both goals could have been avoided was atrocious defending for both.

Desperately need another striker or two but the midfield never showed up today either.

You are 4 league games into the season, it's hardly anything to get excited about.

Can’t understand the criticism of Nicol above, he was probably our best player.

Absolutely toothless upfront without Goodie, as every man and their dug knew we would be, but no other striking options brought in. Baffling.

Some nice build up play at times but Mcstay very guilty of overplaying at times and nobody really looking like getting a shot off or causing any serious concerns for the goalkeeper.

Edinburgh are a solid side and have made several very good additions but sickening to see their side captained by a CONVICTED paedophile who was laughing when rightly given abuse. Should keep his head down and get on with it as whatever is shouted at him is far less than he deserves. Scumbag!

Two questions:

1. Is there a rule that Clyde midfielders are not allowed to run beyond the attackers?

2. Are McStay and Grant allowed to sprint back when we lose the ball or are they only allowed to jog?

Edinburgh City deserved their win. 

Can’t understand the criticism of Nicol above, he was probably our best player.

Absolutely toothless upfront without Goodie, as every man and their dug knew we would be, but no other striking options brought in. Baffling.

Some nice build up play at times but Mcstay very guilty of overplaying at times and nobody really looking like getting a shot off or causing any serious concerns for the goalkeeper.

Edinburgh are a solid side and have made several very good additions but sickening to see their side captained by a CONVICTED paedophile who was laughing when rightly given abuse. Should keep his head down and get on with it as whatever is shouted at him is far less than he deserves. Scumbag!

Apologies Need to edit my post I meant nicoll was good the rest pulled out of challenges and agree probably man of the match

Interesting to see that the match report on the website states that Ally Love was onside when played through on goal by Nicoll in the first half. That was my view of it initially.

Nowhere good enough today; absolutely nothing up front to keep us up the park or give us a goal threat. Love can operate fairly effectively as a striker beside Goodie, but even that's a bit of a stretch. Boyle was hopeless, but ultimately on a hiding to nothing given what he was tasked with. A case of chalk and cheese when compared with our usual number 9. It's pretty gutting that the Hopkirk situation has panned out like it has done - he'd have been brilliant for us. Cogill at left back just doesn't work and I thought he sold himself short for the first goal. He was cracking for us at centre back, but poor in his initial left-back role when he first arrived.  I don't think anyone could have foreseen both of the Huddersfield lads being such peripheral figures at this stage of the season. 

Apologies Need to edit my post I meant nicoll was good the rest pulled out of challenges and agree probably man of the match

You’re fine, it wasn’t your post I was referring to. Freddy Fry I think it was taking aim at Nicol, seems very harsh.

Things we learnt today (some of which we knew beforehand);

1) We can't play Grant, Nicoll and Rankin in the same midfield at home. I'd only play one of them in those matches to be honest but all three is just daft. Nicoll had a good first half but second half was back to the way he played in the first half of last season and he gave the ball away both for the second goal trying a daft bit of dribbling, and also at Henderson's missed header. Still contributed more than the other two did. 

2) Cogill isn't a left-back, but he's also a much better centre half than Rumsby who produced an atrocious bit of defending at the second goal and misses chances to retain possession throughout the 90 minutes. I see Stewart was actually on the bench; what is that all about? Especially in a game where we were probably going to be relying on a set piece goal more than usual.

3) Cuddihy is wasted at full-back. We've got a full-back who had a good second half of last season (I appreciate he was dreadful in one of the cup games) sitting on the bench. Get him further forward and start opening up some space for McStay who is the only midfielder at the moment that the opposition team need to bother marking.

4) We're obviously unlucky (are we? Does anyone actually know?) with a good player in Hopkirk disappearing but starting a match without a striker at this stage of the season is dreadful negligence, even ignoring the fact it's Goodwillie who couldn't play.  We've got five centre halves, probably didn't need to sign Rankin, and we've just loaned a guy out. What is worse, is that our game-plan seemed to be to play as if Ally Love was Goodwillie. Boyle is a massive disappointment at the moment but needs a runner beyond him to link with.

Couple of other things; it looked like we were unlucky to not see Love go clean through on goal when the linesman flagged offside (Balatoni made it clear he thought it was onside). I'm not really sure on what planet a goalie shoving someone isn't a penalty, regardless of the wee nudge Love had given him beforehand, and the fact it wasn't enough to knock him over. Edinburgh much improved obviously and deserved to win but I actually thought they'd be better than they were (not that they'll care).

There's still plenty of time left in the season but today ruined a good start to the campaign. Terribly tough match to try and bounce back in next week as well. 

Things we learnt today (some of which we knew beforehand);
1) We can't play Grant, Nicoll and Rankin in the same midfield at home. I'd only play one of them in those matches to be honest but all three is just daft. Nicoll had a good first half but second half was back to the way he played in the first half of last season and he gave the ball away both for the second goal trying a daft bit of dribbling, and also at Henderson's missed header. Still contributed more than the other two did. 
2) Cogill isn't a left-back, but he's also a much better centre half than Rumsby who produced an atrocious bit of defending at the second goal and misses chances to retain possession throughout the 90 minutes. I see Stewart was actually on the bench; what is that all about? Especially in a game where we were probably going to be relying on a set piece goal more than usual.
3) Cuddihy is wasted at full-back. We've got a full-back who had a good second half of last season (I appreciate he was dreadful in one of the cup games) sitting on the bench. Get him further forward and start opening up some space for McStay who is the only midfielder at the moment that the opposition team need to bother marking.
4) We're obviously unlucky (are we? Does anyone actually know?) with a good player in Hopkirk disappearing but starting a match without a striker at this stage of the season is dreadful negligence, even ignoring the fact it's Goodwillie who couldn't play.  We've got five centre halves, probably didn't need to sign Rankin, and we've just loaned a guy out. What is worse, is that our game-plan seemed to be to play as if Ally Love was Goodwillie. Boyle is a massive disappointment at the moment but needs a runner beyond him to link with.
Couple of other things; it looked like we were unlucky to not see Love go clean through on goal when the linesman flagged offside (Balatoni made it clear he thought it was onside). I'm not really sure on what planet a goalie shoving someone isn't a penalty, regardless of the wee nudge Love had given him beforehand, and the fact it wasn't enough to knock him over. Edinburgh much improved obviously and deserved to win but I actually thought they'd be better than they were (not that they'll care).
There's still plenty of time left in the season but today ruined a good start to the campaign. Terribly tough match to try and bounce back in next week as well. 
The old let's pan Kevin nicoll and get him out the team, you don't mention grant who let the guy glide past him for the second continually got the wrong side and Rankine our experienced midfielder pulled out of every challenge . Cuddhy should be back in midfield the two centre backs were let down badly today by their teammates
We have made three terrible signings and one resigning this summer doubt we will be able to unload them

2 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

The old let's pan Kevin nicoll and get him out the team, you don't mention grant who let the guy glide past him for the second continually got the wrong side and Rankine our experienced midfielder pulled out of every challenge . Cuddhy should be back in midfield the two centre backs were let down badly today by their teammates
We have made three terrible signings and one resigning this summer doubt we will be able to unload them

I generally don't look to get into arguments on here any more but...

1) I didn't say Nicoll shouldn't be in the team.

2) I mentioned that both Grant and Rankin contributed less than a guy who gave the ball away at the second goal, and gave the ball away at an incident which should have resulted in a third. 

Archived