Airdrie Utd v Raith Rovers

Was expecting a decisive beating today and it seemed to be happening with a bit to spare. I'll take a win over Airdrie in any style at any time but these are videos I'll be coming back to.

4-4-2 isn't the problem, it's playing the same thing whether away to Boca Juniors or at home to Dysart BBs, that's what shows there's something badly lacking here, and will cost us promotion again. Today's a very enjoyable blip.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During the celebrations of the 4th goal there’s a Rovers supporter at the bottom by the segregation tape standing with his arms outstretched. The seethe from yon Airdrie fan at the opposite side is fantastic.

14 minutes ago, Raithie said:

During the celebrations of the 4th goal there’s a Rovers supporter at the bottom by the segregation tape standing with his arms outstretched. The seethe from yon Airdrie fan at the opposite side is fantastic.

That  was most definitely myself 

A33DDBBD-3ED2-4247-AB54-6B3DC42FC3F3.jpeg

5 hours ago, SuperHans said:

I don't blame Smith for making the decision to back Davo and go for experience. 

Why not? 

Mackay has done absolutely nothing to deserve to be dropped. 

The club plead for fans to back the youth development fund, but Smith empties any youngster from the team the instant he has an opportunity to replace them with a more experienced player, regardless of form. 

From the team that finished the game, 8 of them were Smiths signings (7 of his signings started the game).

After today, his record still shows that's he's dropped just 37 points out of 120. He's now won 24 out 40 games. For the best part of that, he's played this dreaded 4-4-2 formation. I'll agree that it's not been pretty, at times it's not worked and I'm sure we can all think of better styles and systems he can play. But how can anyone argue that he's still not doing his job as a manager and more importantly, hope that we actually lose so that he can be sacked?

I find it fascinating that some people can be so blinkered and have such an inability to accept that despite the fact that he's got over a 50% winning record in the league and his teams have managed to grind out results despite poor performances, you'd rather we lost today so he could be sacked and replaced by god knows who.

Sorry superhans. But today’s result was nothing to do with smith. He got lucky that the team bailed him out of what was an utterly shambolic display for about 60 mins. His constant trying to make 4-4-2 work regardless of personnel available is a joke! Our team would work best as 3-5-2 with players who are available. And as a start, dropping young dave McKay, who has been by far our best defender/player for weeks was a huge mistake! That I for one do not believe smith won’t hesitate to make again!

You cannot defend smith. His ineptitude/stubbornness cost us last season and I don’t doubt for one second it will cost us again this season.

Last season you tried to tell us selling Vaughan was the best move. Then you became Martin. (Which makes no one take you seriously on here anymore) Now you’re trying to back smith when to be honest, he doesn’t deserve backing. If he was more willing to adapt tactics to suit our strengths than suit his philosophy I would give him more support. But the fact he can’t get the basics right for me is why I don’t cut him slack

Why not? 
Mackay has done absolutely nothing to deserve to be dropped. 
The club plead for fans to back the youth development fund, but Smith empties any youngster from the team the instant he has an opportunity to replace them with a more experienced player, regardless of form. 
Absolutely spot on. McKay has been superb since breaking into the team but remember Smith decided to play Robertson in there instead to start with. He has only played McKay when forced to when no other viable option was available. Today's decision was awful and the only reason McKay came on was injury or he'd have spent 90 mins on the bench.

I didn't make it today but listened to it and by the sounds of it the team dug themselves out of a whole which can only be commended. We have some very good players and if coached and set up in the right way should win this league. However Smith insists on doing it "his" way. It's obvious Matthews is not a right midfielder but he plays him there anyway. If we don't have an obvious right winger change the system to suit the players we do have available.

Today was a huge result but it doesn't change how I feel about Smith. He has to show he isn't what the majority of us think and be able to change things up. It was so obvious today Davidson would be brought back in and we'd set up exactly the same that Airdrie knew exactly how to play us from the get go. By the sounds of it it was only when we were forced to change did we look a bit more dangerous going forward.

Sir Alex always said a manager lived and died by his decisions and Barry has to start getting more of them right than wrong. Martyn aka Eric aka Smith Jnr aka Lewis Vaughan's bitter ex school girlfriend may point to things like his win record and that we were "a post" away from going up but other managers with similar or lesser budgets have won harder leagues than we've been in the past year and a post or not it didn't go in and we didn't go up. Luck does not win you football matches decisions by players and managers do.

Archived