Bookies WTF?

3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Gilmour St, Paisley. Right outside the train station there really is a Paddy Power, Hill's and Ladbrokes all in a row.

Screenshot_20180820-090135_Maps.jpeg.d1ba31d750749346a1f5e5f3919e7b51.jpeg

I replaced the router in that Willie Hills many years ago.  Hills didn't want to pay the overtime that would be incurred by doing it out of hours, so we had to go round all the shops doing it whilst they were open.  This involved a period of downtime that their tills and gaming machines were offline meaning that bets couldn't be taken.  I was told by the manager to start as no one was using the FOBT at the time, so I turned everything off.

One of Paisley's delightful inhabitants then came up to the counter wanting to place a bet on a horse race that was about to start.  When he was told that he couldn't he then threatened that he was going to "kill me and f**k me up the arse".

I'm just glad he didn't want to do it the other way round.

I got threatened a lot during that project.  

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

*Something about Tannadice being the source of a lot of amusement.*

Miss opportunity to state there are two large amusement arcades in Dundee.  You pay your money as you go in and are left in tears of laughter. 

IMHO.

They make their money on FOBTs, they are just shops with 3 or 4 very expensive arcade games in them.

And the reason you often see the same bookie with 2 or 3 shops in the same town is they are limited to the number of machines they can have in one shop, it shows how much money they make on the machiines if somewhere like Irvine town centre has as well as a Betfred, William Hill, Paddy Power it also has at least 3 Ladbrokes. Each with 3 or 4 FOBTs in it keeping the shops open

8 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I thought it was normal for wee shite towns to have nothing but bookies, pubs, charity shops and Turkish barbers.

Maybe that's a Lanarkshire thing

... and for the small ones / large villages:   a 'shopping centre' with a Coral, takeaway (probably Chinese... probably called something like Happy Valley), chemist and Spar... and a flat roof.

Just now, ShaggysBeard said:

The village I live in (Pumpherston, West Lothian). It has one chip shop, a basic cafe, one japanese takeaway, 3 chinese takeaways and an indian restaurant all within literally 100 metres.

Only one bookies, next door to the only pub.

Not forgetting the Sawmill and Tannery. 

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Miss opportunity to state there are two large amusement arcades in Dundee.  You pay your money as you go in and are left in tears of laughter. 

IMHO.

20_94.jpg

Eta: they recently changed the one in Codona's from a simple 10p-pick-a-horse-and-money-falls-out-if-it-wins effort to this abortion of a puggyesque ass-loving contraption.  Still seething about it.

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

One of Paisley's delightful inhabitants then came up to the counter wanting to place a bet on a horse race that was about to start.  When he was told that he couldn't he then threatened that he was going to "kill me and f**k me up the arse".

Did you give him good odds?

I'm just glad he didn't want to do it the other way round.

Did his horse win?

15347590783195785.gif

Greenock has a few bookies . West blackhall street has 4 within spitting distance (Ladbrokes, PP, Coral and Betfred 50 yard further is a Willie Hills. Good for comparing prices on bigger events. I know you can get better odds online but I hardly ever cash out winnings when using my on line account.

20_94.jpg&key=a9964f211c63b6b25255b868396e0da4b4c6fff0a2f85644b574a471dad3b331

Eta: they recently changed the one in Codona's from a simple 10p-pick-a-horse-and-money-falls-out-if-it-wins effort to this abortion of a puggyesque ass-loving contraption.  Still seething about it.
Was in Blackpool a few months ago and saw one of those shite things. Used to love the wee horse machines. Great laugh.

Archived