The Correct punishment ??

DanMan

Yes, I can see the disciplinary panel hearing sitting trying to work out if the player was gay before 
You may not class yourself as homophobic but you're most certainly behaving homophobically by equating the negative aspects of someones behaviour with homosexuality. I find calling him a diving wee p***k does the job just fine. 
I generally find that the language people use is directly linked to their attitudes so maybe if you're genuinely not homophobic it''s time to move your patter out of the 1970's. 
We see variations on this sort of incident discussed on here a few times a season. Soon  we're going to have sexually insecure brain donors indignantly asking why it's not ok to be homophobic or racist but you can slag someone for being fat or bald.  Textbook stuff. 
I also anticipate plenty of usage of words they've learned from following Alt-right arseholes on Twitter like "PC brigade" and "Snowflake". 
Exactly.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, .Stuart. said:

Threads like these always bring out the cream of ‘junior’ thickos, namely the people trying to defend it by stating it makes a difference if he was gay or not.

Absolutely embarrassing behaviour.

"aye but whit aboot four poofs and a piano, how come they can say it and ah canny?". 

Like explaining quantum physics to a fucking carrot. 

The action of the referee is to send the player off and note the incident in his report. That's very obvious. It's not up to the ref however to decide any punishment beyond that (and that goes for any red card)

Not sure if sjfa have any direct rule or president to work to. However going by sfa punishments for discriminatory behaviour then we're looking at between 6 and 10 game ban.

The player's sexuality is immaterial. What about offence caused to those who heard it, or are now reading it. As above the rule is clear, a straight red, followed by the suspension.

What if he'd said "Your just like those diving fucking n.....s in the world cup." if the player wasn't black, is the language not as offensive?

I would think that the second you actually asked someone their sexuality for the purpose of determining the length of the ban you would quite correctly be lambasted, and probably be breaking a couple of laws regarding protected characteristics. It's the referee reporting it, not the guy it was said to. 

It’s also completely personal and completely irrelevant. 

30 minutes ago, Shanner said:

I would think that the second you actually asked someone their sexuality for the purpose of determining the length of the ban you would quite correctly be lambasted, and probably be breaking a couple of laws regarding protected characteristics. It's the referee reporting it, not the guy it was said to. 

It’s also completely personal and completely irrelevant. 

I wasn't suggesting anyone should ask if he was gay, that's his business, if said player had already outed himself it would make a big difference IMO, a large suspension would/should become a hammering.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

Not sure if sjfa have any direct rule or president to work to. However going by sfa punishments for discriminatory behaviour then we're looking at between 6 and 10 game ban.

They definitely have a president, but maybe not a precedent.

9 hours ago, DanMan said:

Was at a game today where a player got a Red Card for a Homophobic rant at another player after kicking him up in the air. 

So my question is, what should the punishment be.. 

Is it unacceptable, or does it get put down to "heat of the moment" 

Totally unacceptable... you don’t get away with murder because of heat of the moment so why anything else...

Homophobic and racist comments, remarks or rants need eradicated from football and the sooner the better.

Football is a slagging match at points. You hear players say “aw fucksake ref” and there is no action but say “aw f**k off ref” and there sometimes is. I think it’s down to the way you say it or how aggressive you say it and if it doesn’t just sound like a slip of the tongue in frustration. players may say to another player something insulting and there reply is “f**k up gayboy”. 99/100 times that player isn’t gay. And I can guarantee 99/100 of these players aren’t genuinely homophobic towards gays. But at the end of the day you can’t use the word black while insulting somebody so why should calling somebody gay be punished any less?

3 hours ago, ex-german exile said:

When I read AyrMad's first post, my initial reaction was the same as DanMan.His second post made me realise that he is right. The first possible circumstance is personal and very wrong, the other possiblity is wrong. In either case the punishment must be harsh IMO.

I think this highlights a common problem on P and B threads that it is very easy to quickly misunderstand a post and start an argument with the poster even though you both agree.

The problem here lies with the attitude of the accused, he obviously holds these views regardless of the sexuality of his victim. Therefore he should be punished irrespective of the sexual orientation of the opposition player.

9 minutes ago, Baxter's Nutmeg said:

The problem here lies with the attitude of the accused, he obviously holds these views regardless of the sexuality of his victim. Therefore he should be punished irrespective of the sexual orientation of the opposition player.

It's only the severity of punishment we're talking about.

1 minute ago, Baxter's Nutmeg said:

I get what you are saying, but if he holds those views and says it to any player, I don’t think there should be any difference in the severity.

IMO there is, if a guy was known to be gay I'd go as far as to say the police could/should be involved.

11 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

IMO there is, if a guy was known to be gay I'd go as far as to say the police could/should be involved.

Playing Devils advocate here, but what if he was only known to be gay to the accused. I know it’s stretching things, but that’s why we can’t differentiate imo.

3 minutes ago, Baxter's Nutmeg said:

Playing Devils advicate here, but what if he was only known to be gay to the accused. I know it’s stretching things, but that’s why we can’t differentiate imo.

Then we'd be listening to/watching Peter Tatchell.

If I as a fan went to a match and was found to be guilty of homophobic or racist chanting I would banned from the ground for a period of time or indeed life .
So for me players are no different and they know exactly what they are saying and why that are saying it so I would be handing out at least a years ban for either offence as a severe punishment will rid it out the game completely

Archived