The Correct punishment ??

DanMan

Was at a game today where a player got a Red Card for a Homophobic rant at another player after kicking him up in the air. 

So my question is, what should the punishment be.. 

Is it unacceptable, or does it get put down to "heat of the moment" 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DanMan said:

Was at a game today where a player got a Red Card for a Homophobic rant at another player after kicking him up in the air. 

So my question is, what should the punishment be.. 

Is it unacceptable, or does it get put down to "heat of the moment" 

Would depend on whether the other boy was known to be gay or not.

Just now, DanMan said:

Really ??  Are you serious .?? Why would that make a difference?? Is it not unacceptable regardless??

Personally I think it's far more unacceptable if the boy is gay, that doesn't detract from shit like that being unacceptable in the other circumstance.

3 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Personally I think it's far more unacceptable if the boy is gay, that doesn't detract from shit like that being unacceptable in the other circumstance.

I dont think it makes a difference either way tbh. But it is all about opinions 

Just now, DanMan said:

I dont think it makes a difference either way tbh. But it is all about opinions 

It is different, if the guy is gay then it's personal and not just a "homophobic rant" IMO.

1 minute ago, DanMan said:

Is it not wrong either way ?? 

I said it was unacceptable either way but I'd expect the authorities to hand out a far stiffer punishment if the guy was openly gay, it would be big news and they'd be under immense pressure to dish out a stiff penalty.

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

I said it was unacceptable either way but I'd expect the authorities to hand out a far stiffer punishment if the guy was openly gay, it would be big news and they'd be under immense pressure to dish out a stiff penalty.

Get what you mean now. 

Depends if the red was for the "kicking him up in the air" or for what he called him

I would also agree that it depends if the player was actually gay, if he was, then the whole scenario changes

Too difficult to make a call without being there, but i dont think i am alone in having called players like neymar and ronaldo derogatory names questioning their sexuality as they roll about feigning injury, doesnt make me homophobic, far from it 

Yes, I can see the disciplinary panel hearing sitting trying to work out if the player was gay before 

3 hours ago, Kilsyth Gers said:

Too difficult to make a call without being there, but i dont think i am alone in having called players like neymar and ronaldo derogatory names questioning their sexuality as they roll about feigning injury, doesnt make me homophobic, far from it 

You may not class yourself as homophobic but you're most certainly behaving homophobically by equating the negative aspects of someones behaviour with homosexuality. I find calling him a diving wee p***k does the job just fine. 

I generally find that the language people use is directly linked to their attitudes so maybe if you're genuinely not homophobic it''s time to move your patter out of the 1970's. 

We see variations on this sort of incident discussed on here a few times a season. Soon  we're going to have sexually insecure brain donors indignantly asking why it's not ok to be homophobic or racist but you can slag someone for being fat or bald.  Textbook stuff. 

I also anticipate plenty of usage of words they've learned from following Alt-right arseholes on Twitter like "PC brigade" and "Snowflake". 

Guest brycey

oh dear o dear what nxt - i remember dunbar utd reporting and sending a letter to the sjfa complaining about the swearing they had to listen to from the fauldhouse fans - apparently the home support were shocked at the language at the game and the children in the wee park nxt to the ground were upset as well at what they heard - this club now has a no swearing sign up when you enter there ground lol only problem now is the dunbar players swear like troopers on the park and always have done he he - needless to say the letter was flung out by the sjfa lol

Men’s Football is one of the few areas of society still living in the dark ages as far as  sexuality is concerned.  Here in 21st century Scotland we have no openly gay players that I know of at  the highest level of the game.  That I find surprising as the country has become more liberal in its outlook. I’m sure many young men at both junior and senior level are gay but would never come out to their teammates or fans as they would be frightened of the reaction. That’s sad!!

We have witnessed on this forum an incident of unchecked, casual homophobia, on at least one occasion in the last week. Maybe we need to have a look at ourselves as well. 

To go back to the original question , if the player has been sent off for his language a strong message needs to be sent with a lengthy ban and an attempt at educating the lad. 

Threads like these always bring out the cream of ‘junior’ thickos, namely the people trying to defend it by stating it makes a difference if he was gay or not.

Absolutely embarrassing behaviour.

Would depend on whether the other boy was known to be gay or not.
Really ??  Are you serious .?? Why would that make a difference?? Is it not unacceptable regardless??
When I read AyrMad's first post, my initial reaction was the same as DanMan.
His second post made me realise that he is right. The first possible circumstance is personal and very wrong, the other possiblity is wrong. In either case the punishment must be harsh IMO.

I think this highlights a common problem on P and B threads that it is very easy to quickly misunderstand a post and start an argument with the poster even though you both agree.

Archived