Indian or Chinese ?

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Most British Indian and Chinese takeaways are really shit, they would be starved of customers and probably stoned to death for taking the pish in their own countries.

I’ve been lucky enough to visit India and China and eaten local dishes in the respective countries and you’re absolutely right, the biggest difference being with the Indian food we get here which bears no resemblance whatsoever to the authentic stuff 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
indian is vastly superior. try and sample somerging different each time. last week was Garlic Chilli Masala and a Kadie. we aalways order 2 and split them. unless shes being a halfwit and demanding Korma which i think is vile and the same texture as cat sick

Had a garlic chilli masala with some beers watching the boxing last night. Braw!

Kadie is a new one to me. What is it?

Had a garlic chilli masala with some beers watching the boxing last night. Braw!

Kadie is a new one to me. What is it?

its an Afghan dish. mostly tomato, ginger, coriander, loads of garlic and tons of green chillies. works with chicken or lamb but not with prawns.

eta i also believed that the name of the dish came from the name of the pot its cooked in, a kadie. i thought it was a clay pot type thing but finding hee haw online about it!

I’m heading there in 2 weeks, what’s your recommendations?

How long are you going for? It’s an amazing place to travel. All the street food is just incredible there and so cheap, I particularly enjoy the springs rolls there that are wrapped in rice paper. You could find local draft beer there for 50 p a pint. I would love to go back.

I’m heading there in 2 weeks, what’s your recommendations?

Depends where you are going, in the South: seafood generally and Pho Ba, Banh mi

In the north: Bun Cha, Bun rieu

And if your brave enough Vitlon

333 (ba ba ba) beer in HCMC is not bad.

All in all a wonderful country.

On 19/08/2018 at 22:25, Unleash The Nade said:

I’ve been lucky enough to visit India and China and eaten local dishes in the respective countries and you’re absolutely right, the biggest difference being with the Indian food we get here which bears no resemblance whatsoever to the authentic stuff 

They're both big diverse countries though. 

Some stuff is authentic (ie available over there) like crispy duck or some curries (makhana for example). These won't be everywhere any more than you get paella or borscht in Kircaldy; still west European.

Some is made up here for uk palates in a pastichey style: tikka massala or lemon chicken.

if people like it, f**k authentic. Authentic chinese has chicken feet in it.

You thinking of Sams and Rajah?
I've had many Indians in Inverness - sorry I shouldn't discuss my personal habits - but Cinnamon is a cut above all the others.

Back in the day, we were always looked after by Mr Ali and enjoyed the grub in The Gulistan.

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

Some stuff is authentic (ie available over there) like crispy duck or some curries (makhana for example). These won't be everywhere any more than you get paella or borscht in Kircaldy; still west European.

Some is made up here for uk palates in a pastichey style: tikka massala or lemon chicken.

I agree with that. Any food snob who drones on about "authentic" Indian food should be forced to shite into an authentic Indian toilet afterwards.

Indian for me. I seem to have gone off the Chinese that last few years for some reason. These days if it has to be Chinese I default to chicken curry or kung po chicken & chips. Which is usually ok. 

Indian is where it's at for me whether take away or sit down :) 

Garlic pili pili chicken, rice and garlic naan does the job very nicely. Usually accompanied by poppadoms, chicken tikka starter and spicy tikka rice. 

This is very true. Tikka Masala, Vindaloo, Samosa and several other dishes are not originally Indian (or our variations are not Indian). Food in India is very different in many ways than the UK, but is excellent.

The food in India like everywhere is regional and varies greatly from region to region.

China, as mentioned before, in the UK is really just limited to Canton food more or less.

Food in China varies dramatically region to region. Food in Guangdong (Canton) can be very bland, Jiangsu is very sweet, Szechuan and Hunan is spicy and Yunan is quite similar to Thai and they cook with flowers, insects, wasp larvae, wasps and various other bizarre ingredients.

If comparing Indian/Chinese food in the UK, Indian wins hands down. If in each respective country, overall India wins, but I would probably choose Hunan and Yunan over Indian individually.

Chicken feet can be surprisingly good depending how they are cooked.

8 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

Indian for me. I seem to have gone off the Chinese that last few years for some reason. These days if it has to be Chinese I default to chicken curry or kung po chicken & chips. Which is usually ok. 

Indian is where it's at for me whether take away or sit down :) 

Garlic pili pili chicken, rice and garlic naan does the job very nicely. Usually accompanied by poppadoms, chicken tikka starter and spicy tikka rice. 

Same here, although I still eat it.

A Chinese takeaway is the wise choice when hungover as an Indian can go either way. An Indian restaurant wins out the rest of the time, largely due to the starters, condiments etc. And the usual generic lager works just fine for scouring the taste buds of chilli heat as well. 

2 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Erm, that’ll be the chicken feet curry I expect.

Probably best stick to a good old haggis then you narrow minded peasant. 

I expect this overly beligerent online persona is overcompensating for some real life inadequacies, so i won't get into an argument. It's quite a leap from not wanting to eat chicken feet to being a narrow minded peasant. 

Archived