Indian or Chinese ?

1 hour ago, virginton said:

It quite clearly does do the job at the time - the lager scrubs the palate and the active ingredient is flushed away by its volume.

To clarify.  The active ingredient in curry is described as an irritant.  This adds to the flavour since flavour is taste plu irritant plus aroma.
Your body releases natural endophines (i.e. painkillers), which is curry can be addictive.

While this makes it enjoyable to eat, I would prefer it was neutralised after I swallow it.
I have eaten hot curries that my mouth could cope with but the rest of me could not.
An agonising night discovering how long my intestines are.

Lager will not do the job. It will flush your mouth but eventually it gets pissed out while the active ingredient makes a more solid exit - unless your body really objects but let's not go there.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually Capsaicin does dissolve in alcohol, but no where near as affectively as milk. So a beer would help soothe the heat, unlike water that would do nothing.

Capsaicin isn't actually an active ingredient in curry either, but an active ingredient in Chili. Curry is just a blend of spices centred around turmeric which may, in varying degrees, contain chili and some curries don't contain any chilis.

10 hours ago, Fullerene said:

There is a Jamaican restaurant in Inverness - Jerk Chicken, Curry Goat, as well as other stuff.

You can even get a Singapore Sling but what that has to do with Jamaica, who knows and after a few - who cares.

I had goat curry in there, it was on the bone and a bit fiddly to eat, but very good. My mate had the same, but he was steaming, and he thought it was a bit gristly. He had eaten the bones.

How long are you going for? It’s an amazing place to travel. All the street food is just incredible there and so cheap, I particularly enjoy the springs rolls there that are wrapped in rice paper. You could find local draft beer there for 50 p a pint. I would love to go back.

Unfortunately only for 7 days, 4 of which will be taken up by a training course, I did think about extending my stay, but I need to go to India the following week, so will treat it as a recce mission. I’ll only see HCMC & Vang tau with the plan to head out for a week - ten days later in the year for a break, choosing the best of the two destinations, or both if they are equally appealing.

Unfortunately only for 7 days, 4 of which will be taken up by a training course, I did think about extending my stay, but I need to go to India the following week, so will treat it as a recce mission. I’ll only see HCMC & Vang tau with the plan to head out for a week - ten days later in the year for a break, choosing the best of the two destinations, or both if they are equally appealing.

Vung Tau isn't anything to write home about aesthetically, its main claim is being the nearest beach town to HCMC. However, it does have some spectacular seafood restaurants on, if I recall, Ba Muoi Thang Tu road. Absolutely fantastic and as it's in a local area, very reasonably priced.

21 hours ago, Fullerene said:

There is a Jamaican restaurant in Inverness - Jerk Chicken, Curry Goat, as well as other stuff.

You can even get a Singapore Sling but what that has to do with Jamaica, who knows and after a few - who cares.

Someone tell Rusty Lee about the cultural appropriation. Disgusting stealing Singapore's drink.

Archived