Laptop Trade in/sale

gc_smfc

Looking to see if anyone has any experience of trade in a laptop when upgrading? Is it worth the hassle, or should I try to go with a private sale instead

I've currently got a two-year-old surface book pro and I'm looking to upgrade to something that can handle the software packages I use for work slightly more efficiently.  My upgrade isn't reliant on getting a certain amount back for my current laptop, but I won't be using it, so might as well get something for it, and attempt to maximise the amount.

A rough estimation of what you'd expect as well for it; 13.5" Pixel Sense touch screen, Intel Core I7 with 256GB RAM.

Any advice is appreciated.

11 hours ago, gc_smfc said:

Looking to see if anyone has any experience of trade in a laptop when upgrading? Is it worth the hassle, or should I try to go with a private sale instead

I've currently got a two-year-old surface book pro and I'm looking to upgrade to something that can handle the software packages I use for work slightly more efficiently.  My upgrade isn't reliant on getting a certain amount back for my current laptop, but I won't be using it, so might as well get something for it, and attempt to maximise the amount.

A rough estimation of what you'd expect as well for it; 13.5" Pixel Sense touch screen, Intel Core I7 with 256GB RAM.

Any advice is appreciated.

Im assuming the 256GB is the hard drive not the RAM!

Out of interest, what are you upgrading too? Thats a pretty high end surface

I traded in an old HP laptop a couple of years ago. It was 5 years old and the battery was goosed but still got 50 odd quid for it.

I used Cash In Your Gadgets, great service, they collected the laptop via a courier service, no postage involved and money was in my account next day.

https://www.cashinyourgadgets.co.uk/

8 hours ago, Mr X said:

Im assuming the 256GB is the hard drive not the RAM!

Out of interest, what are you upgrading too? Thats a pretty high end surface

Yeah, your right it's 8GB.

I'd been looking at getting something with a 1TB SSD Drive, I7 processor or better and a pretty high spec graphics card.

I'm getting quite a bit of processing and CAD work from home, so the heavy outlay will cover itself with a couple days work. Ideally, need a laptop so I can work on the go.

4 minutes ago, gc_smfc said:

Yeah, your right it's 8GB.

I'd been looking at getting something with a 1TB SSD Drive, I7 processor or better and a pretty high spec graphics card.

I'm getting quite a bit of processing and CAD work from home, so the heavy outlay will cover itself with a couple days work. Ideally, need a laptop so I can work on the go.

Ah right. Didnt realise you meant upgrading to a laptop.

If the surface is only a couple of years old I would say you'd be better selling it privately ... and cheaply .. to me :lol: I'll happily give you the £50 JOC got for his laptop

21 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Ah right. Didnt realise you meant upgrading to a laptop.

If the surface is only a couple of years old I would say you'd be better selling it privately ... and cheaply .. to me :lol: I'll happily give you the £50 JOC got for his laptop

I've looked at the new Surface Book 2, as my current surface book has served me well, just need a little more oomph for work. Just got to reason the cost up, and actually shop around a bit.

I've had a look on eBay, and I'd be getting up to 7times what the website suggests based on current listings for the same spec.

Currys /PC World have a trade in deal just now where you're guaranteed £200 against any Macbook and certain Windows /Chromebooks laptops.

Alternatively, with a bit more hassle, you could sell this one, get any old working laptop and still get £200 trade in. Check the T&C's first.

Archived