Juniors v non-Juniors

9 minutes ago, RobM said:

Course the 5-8000 or so that were attending recent finals didn't get the email saying it was tinpot.  What game this season is going to exceed that at this level?

Maybes a bonnyrigg v hibs an east kilbride v Celtic :whistle

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That wouldn't be the narrative I'd want to take.  The admin, the social media input, the ability to accomodate the needs of teams in the EoSFL is far better than in the Juniors.  The move to the pyramid is a forward step and shows all the signs of shaking the game up.

Be wrong within that to throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Junior Cup was a good tournament, decent crowds. final felt like an event if your team made it to the final and provided man y good days out for supporters.  Similarly it seems that Junior teams are more ready for the step up than many previously Senior sides.  It is worth asking the question if there's things that were happening at |Junior level that has made it stronger as we move forward.

No desire to go back to the old set-up but there are (a few) aspects I miss.

2 minutes ago, RobM said:

You're guaranteeing an EoSFL team make the 4th Round?

Brave man.

You asked a comparison to a 5-8k gate I gave you it. 

Oh and there's nothing better than waiting on the 1st 2nd or 3rd round draws when your club are in them ;)

I was at the Whitehill v Celtic game.  It was ace, once in a lifetime element about it though.  A rare event at any rate.

Junior Cup finals were also ace, be good to see a national tournament in place.

16 minutes ago, RobM said:

That wouldn't be the narrative I'd want to take.  The admin, the social media input, the ability to accomodate the needs of teams in the EoSFL is far better than in the Juniors.  The move to the pyramid is a forward step and shows all the signs of shaking the game up.

Be wrong within that to throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Junior Cup was a good tournament, decent crowds. final felt like an event if your team made it to the final and provided man y good days out for supporters.  Similarly it seems that Junior teams are more ready for the step up than many previously Senior sides.  It is worth asking the question if there's things that were happening at |Junior level that has made it stronger as we move forward.

No desire to go back to the old set-up but there are (a few) aspects I miss.

Apologies... My post was aimed at khufu, not yourself..... 

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

Every single club in the EoS knew there were going to be a lot of one sided games this transitional season eg Tranent 1 Bonnyrigg 8, Linlithgow 1 Dunbar 4. There will be more.

It’s interesting that you think a victory by a 3 goal margin means a one-sided game. By that criterion almost every game played has been one-sided. Even I wouldn’t have made that assertion.

But when you look at the totality of results this season they read like the results you would find in one of the lower divisions of an amateur league.

It’s interesting that you think a victory by a 3 goal margin means a one-sided game. By that criterion almost every game played has been one-sided. Even I wouldn’t have made that assertion.
But when you look at the totality of results this season they read like the results you would find in one of the lower divisions of an amateur league.
[emoji23]

37 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

emoji23.png

Yes, it’s laughable but true.

0-7, 6-1, 1-7, 0-6, 8-1, 1-14, 2-7, 11-2, 0-8, 10-0, 9-1, 1-6, 10-2, 9-2, 2-6, 2-6, 7-3, 0-8, 1-8, 0-10, 0-5, 9-1

That’s 22 results out of 100. There are plenty more 4/5 goal wins - and I’m not even using your own more liberal definition of a one-sided match.

It’s all a bit Mickey Mouse.

2 minutes ago, Khufu2 said:

0-7, 6-1, 1-7, 0-6, 8-1, 1-14, 2-7, 11-2, 0-8, 10-0, 9-1, 1-6, 10-2, 9-2, 2-6, 2-6, 7-3, 0-8, 1-8, 0-10, 0-5, 9-1

That’s 22 results out of 100. There are plenty more 4/5 goal wins - and I’m not even using your own more liberal definition of a one-sided match.

That's not bad considering the EoS this year contains clubs playing at the same tier, that would otherwise be spread across 3 or 4 (maybe more).

East Region Super League had 35/240 games decided by 4 or more goals last year. That's 14.583%

East Region Premier League had 27/240 games decided by 4 or more goals last year. That's 11.25%

East Region South Division had 51/182 games decided by 4 ore more goals last year. That's 28.021%

And the EoS had 57/156 games decided by 4 or more goals last year. That's 36.538%

So 22% isn't all that bad in comparison.

image.thumb.png.206d7a559a33851c140898796ad6e2ea.png

That's not bad considering the EoS this year contains clubs playing at the same tier, that would otherwise be spread across 3 or 4 (maybe more).
East Region Super League had 35/240 games decided by 4 or more goals last year. That's 14.583%
East Region Premier League had 27/240 games decided by 4 or more goals last year. That's 11.25%
East Region South Division had 51/182 games decided by 4 ore more goals last year. That's 28.021%
And the EoS had 57/156 games decided by 4 or more goals last year. That's 36.538%

He's not interested in facts.

It's a rather contrary line of argument anyway. "EOSL is a poor standard" or "mickey mouse", apparently - nevertheless most Junior clubs in the south-east joined it.

2 hours ago, RobM said:

South would suggest only part of Scotland rather than a national tournament?

Tbf, everyone in the pyramid except HL participate in South Challenge Cup. They scrapped their equivalent over a lack of dates.

7 minutes ago, Khufu2 said:

Do you think this trend you have highlighted will continue next season?

1 transition season where everyone starts on an equal footing will be replaced with a tiered pyramid in the East with every club finding their level in their deserving place. Logic tells you games and the leagues will then become competitive.

Very short sighted, no? Looks to be the same short sightedness used by the SJFA towards developing and evolving non league football in Scotland to benefit their clubs.

Look how that approach has worked in the East.

12 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Reveal hidden contents

LOL.  You aren’t using the same comparison. There are many 4+ goal wins to be added to examples I cited.

The reason it’s Mickey Mouse is precisely because of the wide range of ability. 

11 minutes ago, kefc said:

Do you think this trend you have highlighted will continue next season?

1 transition season where everyone starts on an equal footing will be replaced with a tiered pyramid in the East with every club finding their level in their deserving place. Logic tells you games and the leagues will then become competitive.

Very short sighted, no? Looks to be the same short sightedness used by the SJFA towards developing and evolving non league football in Scotland to benefit their clubs.

Look how that approach has worked in the East.

How many levels will there be next season? 

Just now, Khufu2 said:

LOL.  You aren’t using the same comparison. There are many 4+ goal wins to be added to examples I cited.

The reason it’s Mickey Mouse is precisely because of the wide range of ability. 

And the vast majority of them so far are cup games, cups are usually spread across multiple tiers. So maybe we'll see how the league games go since some teams haven't even started their league campaigns yet :)

16 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's a rather contrary line of argument anyway. "EOSL is a poor standard" or "mickey mouse", apparently - nevertheless most Junior clubs in the south-east joined it.

Tbf, everyone in the pyramid except HL participate in South Challenge Cup. They scrapped their equivalent over a lack of dates.

Has anyone said it is poor standard ... now?  There are some  good teams, a lot of mediocre teams but quite a few piss poor teams. The Mickey Mouse nature comes from all these teams competing on a supposedly equal footing. 

Of course, all this happened because of the way the East Juniors panicked and jumped ship.

it’s to be hoped that if West juniors decide to join the pyramid it will be done in an ordered way, not lemming-like as in the East.

4 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

And the vast majority of them so far are cup games, cups are usually spread across multiple tiers. So maybe we'll see how the league games go since some teams haven't even started their league campaigns yet :)

4 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

There’s only one tier in the results I’ve cited. EoS only has one tier. That’s why it’s a bit Mickey Mouse.

Archived