Juniors v non-Juniors

It was always going to be interesting to see how the clubs moving over from the Juniors would do against the rest in the EoS league but it's no contest, probably around 40-1 in favour of the Juniors in the head-to-heads so far.  I thought it might be a bit more competitive but even LTHV have struggled.  It's early days but I think we can see a pattern already.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also thought it would be a little closer but there's still a long way too go.

I'm not sure what the record score is in the EoS but it wouldn't surprise me to see it beaten this season, indeed it wouldn't surprise me that much if someone scored 20 in a game.

Interesting one this week was Craigroyston, who finished 12th and one point behind Heriot-Watt in 2015-16 before they left for the Juniors. Results that season were 0-1 and 2-1, and on Wednesday it was 1-0, showing that little has changed!

Everyone are senior now, of course.

Rash to dismiss LTHV for Wednesday night's skelping at Bo'ness: in the preceding week they pasted Easthouses 5-0 and won 2-1 at Linlithgow with 9 men in a friendly.

Equally I doubt few were expecting the bottom half EOSL sides to be beating ex-Superleague and ex-Premier teams.

I think the biggest interest - broadly and in terms of contesting for "Top 5s" - is the top half i.e. HW Uni (whose scores haven't been unreasonable out-of-term), Tynecastle, Leith, Preston. They'll likely be disappointed in their opening weeks, as Leith's manager admits:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/lower-leagues/sean-jamieson-banishes-injury-hell-and-vows-to-fire-for-star-1-4785411

Leith boss Steven Chalmers believes it will take time for his squad to adapt to a new-look East of Scotland set-up.

He said: “It’s not been the easiest of starts, it’s safe to say the standard of the East of Scotland League has been raised significantly.

“I think a lot of the [old] East of Scotland teams are going to have to adapt in terms of how we set about games in terms of the opposition and the style of the football. The style of the play is going to suit that of the Junior teams who are used to playing against each other whereas maybe for the East of Scotland teams it’s a bit difficult.

“The standard is a lot higher. We prided ourself last season on being well prepared and organised, and now we need to take a step up again. There’s not going to be any easy or gimme games this season, they are going to be against tactical sides who are well organised.”

Incidentally the precise breakdown thusfar... existing EOSL v ex-Junior (including Dunipace)... is 33-1.

I think the biggest interest - broadly and in terms of contesting for "Top 5s" - is the top half i.e. HW Uni (whose scores haven't been unreasonable out-of-term), Tynecastle, Leith, Preston. They'll likely be disappointed in their opening weeks, as Leith's manager admits:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/lower-leagues/sean-jamieson-banishes-injury-hell-and-vows-to-fire-for-star-1-4785411

Leith boss Steven Chalmers believes it will take time for his squad to adapt to a new-look East of Scotland set-up.

He said: “It’s not been the easiest of starts, it’s safe to say the standard of the East of Scotland League has been raised significantly.

“I think a lot of the [old] East of Scotland teams are going to have to adapt in terms of how we set about games in terms of the opposition and the style of the football. The style of the play is going to suit that of the Junior teams who are used to playing against each other whereas maybe for the East of Scotland teams it’s a bit difficult.

“The standard is a lot higher. We prided ourself last season on being well prepared and organised, and now we need to take a step up again. There’s not going to be any easy or gimme games this season, they are going to be against tactical sides who are well organised.”

That chimes with what I saw when Leith played Oakley - the home side were well organised and had good shape, but Oakley had a few players with considerably better technique, meaning they kept the ball much better and carried more danger up front. Early days, but the older EOS clubs will need to step up if there is to be more than one of them in the EOS Premier next season.

3 hours ago, th1stleandr0se said:

It was always going to be interesting to see how the clubs moving over from the Juniors would do against the rest in the EoS league but it's no contest, probably around 40-1 in favour of the Juniors in the head-to-heads so far.  I thought it might be a bit more competitive but even LTHV have struggled.  It's early days but I think we can see a pattern already.

Could have told you this months ago. There’s going to be some absolute humfuckingdinger scores this season

4 hours ago, gogsy said:

We see a pattern every time you post. ;)

I'm not sure what you're getting at but I was at the LTHV v Kelty game at the end of last season and even though you'd walked the league so had they.  They even beat you that day (though you were the better side IMHO) and I thought they'd almost be favourites for the EoS title this season.  They beat my side last week in a friendly and although we had by far the greater share of the ball they showed a bit of class to take their chances (a bit like the aforementioned game against you).  It was therefore a shock to see them thumped by Bo'ness.  I hope they do recover to mount a challenge but if they don't I can't see many of the other (old) EoS teams doing much either.

19 minutes ago, th1stleandr0se said:

I can't see many of the other (old) EoS teams doing much either.

Please tell me, where did you get your degree in stating the fucking obvious 

10 hours ago, th1stleandr0se said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at but I was at the LTHV v Kelty game at the end of last season and even though you'd walked the league so had they.  They even beat you that day (though you were the better side IMHO) and I thought they'd almost be favourites for the EoS title this season.  They beat my side last week in a friendly and although we had by far the greater share of the ball they showed a bit of class to take their chances (a bit like the aforementioned game against you).  It was therefore a shock to see them thumped by Bo'ness.  I hope they do recover to mount a challenge but if they don't I can't see many of the other (old) EoS teams doing much either.

Bo'ness played really well v LTHV,they hadn't conceded a competitive goal until Wednesday.

On 17/08/2018 at 17:28, Ginaro said:

Interesting one this week was Craigroyston, who finished 12th and one point behind Heriot-Watt in 2015-16 before they left for the Juniors. Results that season were 0-1 and 2-1, and on Wednesday it was 1-0, showing that little has changed!

Interesting point, Heriot Watt have vastly improved from 2015 - 20-6 season having seen one of two games last season. At this time of the season, am sure the tax dodgers have players issues. According to reports, they dominated the match against craigroyston. 

The junior teams have obviously invested,   most of the best players from Eos have all moved to better junior teams. 

Lothian have lost a lot of their players, with the squad they had last three seasons, they would compete against any of the junior teams.

Archived