Annan Athletic v Queen's Park

I've no problem with opponents giving a bang, physically or mentally, as long as they can take it back. Says to me they are winners. It's not the behaviour our young lads will be used to but they're going to have to adapt if they want to play at this level. No question that they were sent out to bully us after half-time and it worked. Couldn't see much of the goals from the far end but the highlights show how quickly we lost the place at the back. Gerry raging at the ref isn't the leadership the young guys are looking for. Better channelling that energy into laying out one of the bullies.

The seven minute madness was just that. We outplayed Annan by some distance in the first half and for most of the second. It's a broken record for QP though to have plenty of possession, some nice play and then gift goals. Fair play to the Annan boys who scored but they had no shots in the first half, on target or not, and three goals in seven minutes before reverting to shooting at the QP bus. I'm the first to say well done to teams who outplay us and I choose to ignore comment on opponents otherwise but that was as brutal a defence as I can remember. Aggression and random violence won't win promotion. Ugly is the perfect description.

Very pleased with McLean's introduction. Most of the others had a decent shift without being spectacular but Mortimer stood out for his aggression and continued attacks. I wrote a long time back that young MacPherson would be better served with a spell in the Lowland or Juniors. Nothing this season suggests anything's changed. His Dad's not doing him any favours, nor is his obsession doing my favourite team any favours either. The defence in a shambles, our highly experienced coach decides the best solution is to hook the striker, who just scored his confidence-boosting first goal for the club, and do a straight positional swap with an inferior player. Genius. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First half was pretty poor. Queens Park having the better of the play. 2nd half only one team derserved to win. To be fair the referee was very poor overall, with a lot of decisions in both directions, being baffling.  The ref was pretty young though and very wet behind the ears, and making decisions from players and fans reactions rather than what he was seeing and believed. 

Some good finishing was the difference at the end of the day. 

Archived