Annan Athletic v Queen's Park

I thought Smart was very good today, but is being asked to do too much. Needs someone to work with and a more commanding midfield.

Annan will do alright this season, but really quite an even (and ugly) game. Think it will be a very different match at Hampden.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smart is a player that needs certain coachin. Touch of a donkey but pace of a whippet. He.ll do a job in the right role i have no doubt.. Honest player but very frustrating perhaps. Some managers need to accept certain players ability. Jim duffy could whilst BF couldnt and never will. Thats why Alan maitlands and dick campbells will always be a success at our level...

2 hours ago, annanbear said:

Smart was so great your manager took him off half way through the 2nd half.you talk about rose tinted specs.you should read your post back to yourself

Thought my previous post referring to exchange of verbals was clear enough as to why Smart was withdrawn...keep up please!

3 hours ago, jinky said:

Thought my previous post referring to exchange of verbals was clear enough as to why Smart was withdrawn...keep up please!

3 points in the bag who cares a f**k. 1st half shite  - scare folk off football. 2nd half Annan put Spiders in their place - ran them out easy.QP tried to bully  but Annan more than matched them -  no longer  the soft touches.Bring it on.

Comfortably the better team in the first half and should of been ahead. However, a mad 10 minutes cost us. Hopefully macpherson had got a Keena or zanatta type loan lined up. Desperately need another striker 

I do hope that this is not Gus back to his petulant self. We had much the better of the first half with Smart having a decent game, I thought. The substitution killed any chance we had of taking something from the game. Injuries did not help us but the persistent show of nepotism is worrying. Sadly young Ewan is well out of his depth at this level and is not effective in any way. Gus must learn to control his personal feelings and not let them cloud his judgement. His knowledge of the game is not in question but his lack of self control lets him down.

23 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

his petulant self...............the persistent show of nepotism...............must learn to control his personal feelings and not let them cloud his judgement.............. lack of self control lets him down

Wonder how a manager with so many apparent character defects gets a gig in the spfl let alone a Sunday league match to be honest, as the above is clearly an honest appraisal with no obvious hidden agenda behind it.

I'd hoped it would be the end of September before the bandwagon was rolled out again, but I guess our first league defeat was just too good an opportunity to miss.

Can’t believe Swinglehurst got booked for reminding the Spiders supporters what the score was.
Aye but he should have been booked for banging people about. Can't believe people thinking that the ref was giving us decisions.

Anyway, disappointing day and Annan deserved their win. Sadly.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

1 hour ago, The Spider said:

Wonder how a manager with so many apparent character defects gets a gig in the spfl let alone a Sunday league match to be honest, as the above is clearly an honest appraisal with no obvious hidden agenda behind it.

I'd hoped it would be the end of September before the bandwagon was rolled out again, but I guess our first league defeat was just too good an opportunity to miss.

Only talking facts as I saw them. Bawling at Smart consistently before hauling him off minutes after he shouted back at Gus. Arguably Smart was having a good game. Words of encouragement might have been more appropriate. Young Ewan showed very little last season after coming back from injury. He needs to bulk up. He has shown little or nothing this season without any change. Gus has history of petulant substitutions after players try to defend themselves on the park. That is no place for such arguments and Gus should show some leadership on this front. Clouded judgement was there to see on several occasions last season and as I said I hope this is not going to be a feature again this season. Gus has the knowledge but should have learned by now how to transfer that to his players without the histrionics. His current style of man management will get results for a period of time but sooner or later something gives. Fairly textbook stuff actually. These comments apply whether we are winning or not and not just a moan after losing. Apart from the ten minute spell after half time I saw many positives in much of our play and still think we are play off material.

"Fustrating"

Gus has failed to address the same problems which led to our dismal season last year.

Our defence has no height and is often punished by high balls. Gibson was to blame for the Annan 3rd goal which he let bounce over his head (no difficult task considering he's only about 5'9")

We cannot defend on the counter attack. So many opposition goals over the last season and a half have come from errors arising from counterattacking plays.

Playing one up front (especially at Hampden) when the players are only training part time leaves too much for the number 9 to do and so often our midfielders can't seem to get up in support when we get the ball is up the park. We also have no striker this season who can put the ball into the back of the nest on a regular basis (8 competitive games in - Only 1 goal scored by an attacking player) 

I see a mid table finish on the cards unless things change.

7 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Gus has history of petulant substitutions after players try to defend themselves on the park. That is no place for such arguments and Gus should show some leadership on this front.

At our level it's highly unlikely that we are going to get a manager who scores highly on every facet of the role. Some players respond well to touchline and dressing room "encouragement" whilst others benefit from a quiet word and a wee cuddle now and then.  A coach who can easily switch between those two modes is a rarity, even at Premier League level (Neil Lennon for example).

If you are more of an "encourager" than an empath, then the one thing you can't tolerate is anyone who challenges your authority, and even before a ball was kicked this season the descriptions that Clyde fans proffered of Smart's  personality suggested that such a confrontation with Gus's style was highly likely. So the question ultimately is this. Smart is a highly popular player with fans, but if he becomes a casualty of Gus's regime and we go on to make the play-offs then will the outcome justify that decision? If it's a choice between a manager who's everybody's pal but finishes in the bottom half of the table, or one who causes ruptions along the way and gets us in the play-off then I know (as a supporter rather than a player) which one I'd prefer.

Everyone is perfectly entitled to praise or criticise individuals on here as we see fit, and your most recent post was a far more balanced appraisal and far better argued than your initial one which appeared to me to be more interpretive than "factual" as you now describe it.

Gus is clearly a "Marmite" manager who will polarise opinion, but love him or loathe him we are in a results-driven business, and if his style of management fails to produce the desired outcome then quite rightly the man will become his own casualty. But we need a wee reality check here. He's had to built a brand new squad, and yet here we are in the middle of August arguing about whether he's the right man to resurrect our fortunes or not. Let's at least wait until we see what loan players he can source and have played each team once, rather than knee-jerk reactions after a solitary league defeat..

22 minutes ago, Shugs said:

Our defence has no height and is often punished by high balls.

Playing one up front (especially at Hampden) when the players are only training part time leaves too much for the number 9 to do and so often our midfielders can't seem to get up in support when we get the ball is up the park. We also have no striker this season who can put the ball into the back of the nest on a regular basis (8 competitive games in - Only 1 goal scored by an attacking player) 

I see a mid table finish on the cards unless things change.

Shugs, so far Gibson's been one of our best performers and has ably marshalled our defence, so whilst Foy or Nimmo would certainly help address the height issue, is their ground play as good? Also, what height are Hart & McLauchlan?

You're spot on though with your other two points, and I thought we looked better when Peters was playing up front too, but he's injured so we don't know whether that's a factor in the formation change or not.

We are absolutely destined for mid-table (or worse) unless we can find a goal-scorer, but that's been a problem for several seasons in a row now, which has only been filled by loan-strikers. I'd much prefer that we didn't have to rely on that market and could find our own, but is that a poor reflection on Gus and his scouting team, or simply representative that there aren't any out there who would willingly swap the money they get in the juniors (where goal-scorers generally earn more than their team-mates and for good reason) for a crack at the big time with us?

It’s quite simple for me. If only Gus could reign in 75% of his reactions  touchline, that would be about right. I love the guy in every other respect. On balance i’d live with things as they are, but for the sake of encouraging the team, and his own blood pressure, it would be better if he learnt to swallow most of his frustration. Doubt it will happen though.

5 hours ago, marco44 said:

Can’t believe Swinglehurst got booked for reminding the Spiders supporters what the score was.

That was shambolic. We were dishing it out and he gave a bit back. All part of the game.

Archived