Edinburgh City v Stirling Albion

First visit of the season for the Binos to Ainslie Park temporary home of Edinburgh City to face a City side who have started the season well and could be the surprise team of the League this season. 

For the Albion pointless after 2 games we need to start picking up points asap to keep us in the hunt for at least a playoff spot and not let too big a gap develop between ourselves and the likes of Clyde, Peterhead etc.

Team wise for the Binos we will again be without Darren Smith and Darren Barr for this game but hopefully Kevin Moon should be back. 

City will no doubt fancy their chances of getting all 3 points this Saturday. Always a difficult place to pick up points but hopefully we get a share of the points this Saturday to start our season. 

Prediction City 1 Binos 1      :thumsup2

hopefully we can find a little bit of form but its hard to be optimistic. taking in the back end of last season and the beginning of this, its been quite a long run of poor form in the league.  I'd be well happy with the draw you predicted.

there aren't a great deal of options to freshen things up with Barr and Smith still out.

Guest Landan Spiv

I just hope City don't concede again in the 945th minute like last season. I had the absolute seethe after that game. Talking red in the face seethe as well 

23 hours ago, scrooge1928 said:

Just to let folk know that the upstairs bar won't be open before the match on Saturday, but will be after. Team photos, apparently.

sounds like a good idea not to let club photographers near the booze before the match! 

Well not the greatest of games for the Albion today, lucky to go in at halftime 0-0 thanks to a great penalty save by Callumn Ferrie from Blair Henderson. 

2nd half we go 1-0 down but somehow we manage to get back on level terms before losing another 2 goals to go down 3-1. Game over after that and our 3rd defeat on the trot, 2nd bottom of the League, pointless only Albion Rovers below us on goal difference. 

Only gets harder for us next week at home to Peterhead, hopefully we can turn things around quickly and start getting points. 

Just home from the match. Firstly I would like to say that anyone who blames the current Exc board, Brown, Christie & Douglas for this mess is deluded. They have backed Mackay and have given him free reign to go out and buy the players he wanted, within a budget that he was happy with and felt he could work with, there is nothing more the Exc can do with on the field issues and I Back them 100%.

I feel like i’m super critical this season and that’s not me, but days like today sum up why. With the exception of a 10 minute spell before scoring, we were pretty shocking. People weren’t working as a team. One of the best things about Ainslie Park is that supporters can hear everything on the pitch, and the amount of players who went listening to the instructions of our Captain (Allan being the biggest culporate) and from the bench, was terrible. It was as if some of the team were playing to their own agenda. Peaso’s diving to win free kick, also terrible, our defending for 2 of the 3 goals, terrible, the decision to continually launch long balls up to a midget strike force, terrible and our performance in general terrible.

I said last week that we are back to where we were when Stuart McLaren went and today summed that up. The lowest point for me was ending the year bottom of the league after a heavy defeat at the Meadowbank stadium......well there was a lot of similarities between that performance and today.

It’s not that the players aren’t trying, they genuinely are, it’s just they are not good enough or that the long diagonal balls to Peaso and Stewart seem to be our only tactic going forward and that’s not working, and, like last week against clyde, no wonder when you have those 2 up against the land of the giants.

I have absolutely no idea what formation we were playing today. Some times it looked like a 4-2-3-1 with Thomson & Robertson in the Defensive roles, other times it looked like a simple 4-4-1-1 with Peaso being the deepest striker, other times it just looked like a bunch of zig zags with people everywhere. Whatever it was, we scored the only time we got near Callum Antell.

It wasn’t all bad, there were a couple of positives that you can take away, namely, Ferrie looked like a really good keeper, McGeachie continued to do what he does and looked more comfortable in the Centre Half position in the 2nd Half, and without being excellent, I thought that Danny Jardine looked lively enough during the first half and at least tried to make things happen.

People who know me know i’m Not the type of guy to go shouting about chopping managers, especially only 3 games into the season but I just can’t see a way out of this and I think soon the Exc will have a decision to make. If you think that Mackay and Wright are genuinely the man to take us forward then we need to ride it out, if not then we need to seriously look elsewhere. We can’t go binning players every transfer window but we also can’t go on like this, where we are thankful of a terrible Albion Rovers team on a Saturday night.

So what do we do now?? We wait until Barr, Smith and Moon are back and keep our fingers crossed everything will be ok? I’ve followed football long enough now to know that doesn’t happen at this level. We also hope that one day soon, everyone clicks and we start playing seamlessly as a team, again, that doesn’t really happen over night at this level....so what now, I honestly don’t know.

I could go on and on but i’m going to leave it at that. I think back to this time last year and the joy and excitement of watching Dave Mackay’s team, currently, I see none of that, I just see more and more reasons to be frustrated, but I also believe the Exc are blameless for this mess.

Thought we played really well today, we looked fitter and stronger than Albion all over the pitch.

Black was tremendous today and Robbie McIntyre is an absolute Rolls Royce at left back.

Was a bit surprised at just how little Stirling had to offer, horrendous start to the season from them.

Black was tremendous today and Robbie McIntyre is an absolute Rolls Royce at left back.

He’s a good player mate, think that was him at his usual if I’m being honest. Would have loved to have kept him and he’ll be a big player for you this season.

He’s a good player mate, think that was him at his usual if I’m being honest. Would have loved to have kept him and he’ll be a big player for you this season.

Aye he’s been really good since we signed him to be fair. We’d been desperate for some aggression in midfield for ages and he’s certainly delivering that. Judging by what I saw today youse could have done with still having him.

Can someone tell me how this has happened AGAIN? I thought Stirling Albarcelona would have the league wrapped up by now?
You should really concentrate on your shower of shit.

1 hour ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Can someone tell me how this has happened AGAIN? I thought Stirling Albarcelona would have the league wrapped up by now?

Like a previous poster says YOU should concentrate on your own team and not worry about the Albion. Any team that loses 4-0 to Cowdenbeath should be worried about their own future rather than another team. 

City played quite well, and look a more confident team this season.   Should make top 4, at least.

It's a good time for us City fans just now, having a team that wins games and looking like they know what they're doing, instead of the struggles from the first two seasons!

Stirling were OK in patches,  and will improve when injuries to key players clear up.  could still push for play-offs by May.

Was impressed by the Stirling goalie, and the big number 2 guy was good as well.

Apart from Albion Rovers and probably Berwick Rangers, the league looks pretty even this year with not much between the other eight teams.

League 2  Should be a good competition this season!

Archived