The City of Dundee Appreciation Thread

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

They forgot to add seats in the new entrance of the station. 

Could be a deliberate ploy to stop all of Dundee's jakies, junkies, shabby b*****ds and piss cats from hanging about.

I notice the retail units there are empty. They should open a Casey Jones burger bar there just for some 80's nostagia..

4 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Could be a deliberate ploy to stop all of Dundee's jakies, junkies, shabby b*****ds and piss cats from hanging about.

I notice the retail units there are empty. They should open a Casey Jones burger bar there just for some 80's nostagia..

They could head upmarket and get a Wimpy. "Dingwall, Dundee, New York, Paris and Milan."

4 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

On another note, that big stupid building they're throwing up in front of the V&A is angering me. Typical Dund£$ City C0uncil.

I hear this a lot and still don't quite understand it. What are people wanting to go in that plot of land? 

The V&A is a cracking looking building but its main purpose is to be a museum of design rather than a great building to look at. The argument of 'it blocks the view of the building from the city centre' doesn't make sense either, the waterfront project is about reconnecting the city centre with the waterfront, so the idea is that by building these hotels, flats, bars and restaurants next to Slessor Gardens the waterfront will become part of the city centre, rather than an attachment to it. 

I also suspect the council will need to try and draw in as much investment as possible to pay for the rest of the waterfront redevelopment.

3 hours ago, GorgieRoad said:

I hear this a lot and still don't quite understand it. What are people wanting to go in that plot of land? 

The V&A is a cracking looking building but its main purpose is to be a museum of design rather than a great building to look at. The argument of 'it blocks the view of the building from the city centre' doesn't make sense either, the waterfront project is about reconnecting the city centre with the waterfront, so the idea is that by building these hotels, flats, bars and restaurants next to Slessor Gardens the waterfront will become part of the city centre, rather than an attachment to it. 

I also suspect the council will need to try and draw in as much investment as possible to pay for the rest of the waterfront redevelopment.

If they had to sell the land, they could have insisted on the development looking relatively pleasing on the eye.

It looks like a multi storey car park now and when it's finished it won't look much better going by the artist impressions.

It's just a small detail though; Dundee is still the new centre of the universe. 

4 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

If they had to sell the land, they could have insisted on the development looking relatively pleasing on the eye.

It looks like a multi storey car park now and when it's finished it won't look much better going by the artist impressions.

It's just a small detail though; Dundee is still the new centre of the universe. 

I think it's going to be quite similar to the council building once it's finished which I don't actually mind but agreed it possibly could have been styled a bit better. I like the thought of all of these plots having bars and restaurants on the bottom two floors though, should hopefully encourage more people down to that area once it's finished.

Dundee is easily the best city in Scotland. 

I like Dundee and am there this Tuesday. I'm an infrequent visitor and for a few years have felt: it'll be nice when it's finished. So, with the new station opened and the V&A nearly so, I'm looking forward to my visit this week. Meanwhile, here's another of my favourite buildings.

IMG_1265.JPG

6 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

In the waterfront plan the V&A was supposed to be the tallest building in the area. 

Of course the station and this building knocked that on the head. 

Whilst it would have been nice, the place needs investment so hey ho. At least more tall buildings down there will magnify the already force 10 gales that whistle along the riverside and we may yet see a wind tunnel amusement park opening up.

On 18/08/2018 at 09:01, GorgieRoad said:

I think it's going to be quite similar to the council building once it's finished which I don't actually mind but agreed it possibly could have been styled a bit better. I like the thought of all of these plots having bars and restaurants on the bottom two floors though, should hopefully encourage more people down to that area once it's finished.

Dundee is easily the best city in Scotland. 

Tbh it doesn't look that bad, especially when compared with some of the new developments elsewhere in Dundee.

I'd say the worst aspect of Dundee's regeneration is all the inane shit  that seems to happen every other week, especially in the West end. By that I mean pop up craft fairs and the like. It's like the city has gone soft...

On 8/17/2018 at 22:01, virginton said:

Anywhere in the UK that has just one train station is not a real city. These are facts.

1499622239178.jpg.ff8c98dc046efe1631e37ac76c36d100.jpg

Dundee has 2 stations and you could chip a 9 iron into Dundee from Invergowrie & Balmossie stations. Its basically a northern London

Guest bernardblack
I like Dundee and am there this Tuesday. I'm an infrequent visitor and for a few years have felt: it'll be nice when it's finished. So, with the new station opened and the V&A nearly so, I'm looking forward to my visit this week. Meanwhile, here's another of my favourite buildings.
IMG_1265.JPG.6837e07d0b63533f5544d37dbf832432.JPG

Made of old shipping containers I believe. Excellent use of space

On 18/08/2018 at 04:48, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Screenshot_20180817-195217_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fb7f3183c7f0eef8867dc4ef96a6c0df.jpg

On 17/08/2018 at 02:33, Cerberus said:

I've not been to Dundee in years so I Google Map'd it-

image.thumb.png.ddee5ba9a1e2aa9390a78330e7efe9cc.png

It looks like a paradise so it does...

Biggest difference between the artist's impression and the actual Dundee streetscape is the pedestrians

On 8/18/2018 at 06:10, Ylf said:

Oh we also have mad Alfie from lochee the marathon man and karaoke expert

Is Alfie still alive? I thought he died.

You always knew Alfie was nearby as you heard the coppers rattling in his suit pocket. 

Did he not go viral in the USA at some point? 

On 8/17/2018 at 20:45, tongue_tied_danny said:

They have all been, with their consent, relocated to Perth.

17 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Dundee has 2 stations and you could chip a 9 iron into Dundee from Invergowrie & Balmossie stations. Its basically a northern London

Is Broughty Ferry station not part of Dundee ?

Or have I stumbled into a "Leith/Edinburgh" thing here?

Archived