The City of Dundee Appreciation Thread

Rumours that Groucho’s is shutting down. Shirley no?!

I love the V&A and all the attention that Dundee has received, but it’s going to end up the busiest cafe in the city centre. Assuming it’s free to get in?

Also, I hope it’ll get proper art exhibitions at some point?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the V&A and all the attention that Dundee has received, but it’s going to end up the busiest cafe in the city centre. Assuming it’s free to get in?

It's a design museum though - not an art museum.

1 hour ago, Daydream said:

The owner is retiring. Unfortunately there are big issues with the lease of the building Groucho's is in meaning a new lease is unlikely.

The V&A is free and once the initial rush dies off it will be interesting to see what the footfall settles down to. 

I went down for a wander with the family yesterday and although we didn't go in to the museum itself (huge queues) it was amazing to see Dundee that busy and bustling with people. You had the Pride festival on in the city centre and then the Penguin Parade on at Slessor Gardens. With the sunshine out and the number of people walking around they city it was utterly fantastic and made me very proud.

Was speaking to someone earlier in the week who was questioning what there was to do for visitors to the city but I was arguing that if you were a couple or a family and you wanted a weekend break then you could easily pack your time with  - 

V&A

McManus Galleries

Sensation Science Centre

DCA

Discovery Point

Frigate Unicorn

Verdant Works

Camperdown Park (although it needs more investment in terms of the play parks and the Zoo)

Transport Museum (currently working on a new site)

Plus if you have a car or are willing to travel further afield then you've got Broughty Ferry and the Castle, St.Andrews and, if the weather is decent, the walks and beaches in and around Tayport, Newport, Balgay Park, Law Hill, Monikie, Botanic Gardens. There's also all the other stuff like the football (even though it is shit), Ice Arena, Water Park at the City Quay, Olympia etc.

Personally I would still like to see a central Cinema and Bowling. 

I'm really hope the V&A also encourages other attractions to open. There is chat about a Comic and Journalism museum opening near the Verdant Works. 

Dundee is brilliant.

35 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Camperdown has just added more play ships at the bottom. Looking really good.

Play parks has been fine with plenty companies coming in and using the area at the top. Always something happening .

The zoo for me is basic but then what's wrong with that ? The oldest goes once every 3 months ( it's a thing he goes to via the autism society) great we set up where they get to feed some animals and it's shut to the public.
What is off putting is the price. Very small which you can go around in say 20 minutes.

What would you have different in the zoo ?

I was up when they were working on the new play areas so glad to hear it's up and running. I think they need to do something with Camperdown House and maybe add more play options in terms of different sports, maybe a better putting area or the addition of crazy golf. A small set of little football pitches or upgraded tennis courts maybe? I just think there is space at Camperdown that with a little extra investment could make a big difference. 

The Zoo for me just needs a bit of work in terms of the decor/aesthetic look of the place. The actual layout is okay but basic it maybe just needs a bit of attention and a spruce up.

3 hours ago, stumigoo said:

The owner is retiring. Unfortunately there are big issues with the lease of the building Groucho's is in meaning a new lease is unlikely.

The V&A is free and once the initial rush dies off it will be interesting to see what the footfall settles down to. 

I went down for a wander with the family yesterday and although we didn't go in to the museum itself (huge queues) it was amazing to see Dundee that busy and bustling with people. You had the Pride festival on in the city centre and then the Penguin Parade on at Slessor Gardens. With the sunshine out and the number of people walking around they city it was utterly fantastic and made me very proud.

Was speaking to someone earlier in the week who was questioning what there was to do for visitors to the city but I was arguing that if you were a couple or a family and you wanted a weekend break then you could easily pack your time with  - 

V&A

McManus Galleries

Sensation Science Centre

DCA

Discovery Point

Frigate Unicorn

Verdant Works

Camperdown Park (although it needs more investment in terms of the play parks and the Zoo)

Plus if you have a car or are willing to travel further afield then you've got Broughty Ferry and the Castle, St.Andrews and, if the weather is decent, the walks and beaches in and around Tayport, Newport, Balgay Park, Law Hill, Monikie, Botanic Gardens. There's also all the other stuff like the football (even though it is shit), Ice Arena, Water Park at the City Quay, Olympia etc.

I'm really hope the V&A also encourages other attractions to open. There is chat about a Comic and Journalism museum opening near the Verdant Works. 

Dundee is brilliant.

There is a central cinema (in the DCA).

V&A
McManus Galleries
Sensation Science Centre
DCA
Discovery Point
Frigate Unicorn
Verdant Works

Dundee is brilliant.
And there's also the Opera House/Concert Venue that's supposedly in the planning stage.

Archived