The City of Dundee Appreciation Thread

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took a stroll past the v&a this morning. I did consider going in but there was a queue of around 50 people. I couldn't be arsed waiting. I may give it a couple of weeks until it dies down a bit. Tbh the ocean liner exhibition doesn't particularly interest me so I may just wait to see whatever is next.

The building itself looks pretty cool, although the concrete slabs just appear to be loosely attached with a couple of bolts. It wouldn't surprise me if one of them fell off and flattened some hapless tourist.

There seemed to be more people going into the Discovery than usual. The knock on effect for Dundee' s other attractions can only be a good thing.

18 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

The building itself looks pretty cool, although the concrete slabs just appear to be loosely attached with a couple of bolts. It wouldn't surprise me if one of them fell off and flattened some hapless tourist.

Trust me, they are securely fastened for now.

Come back in a couple of years time when they've been the Tay has been spurting its salty foam all over them, though.

That building being constructed opposite the train station entrance is absolutely hideous. Who the f**k signed off on that shit? Seen quite a few reviews of the V&A (all positive) saying the same thing.

On 18/09/2018 at 20:43, DA Baracus said:

That building being constructed opposite the train station entrance is absolutely hideous. Who the f**k signed off on that shit? Seen quite a few reviews of the V&A (all positive) saying the same thing.

It's not finished,it's a building site so so it's ridiculous to say it looks hideous.

A lot of people entirely missing the point that V&A is to drive regeneration and that commercial offices were in the plan from Day 1. 

It would be nice just to build big museums for no reason but once up these offices will be prime sites opposite to the V&A and will bring in mega money *

* if Brexit is cancelled.

Actually it's not far off completion so it's totally fair to say it looks hideous. What a shite thing to see when you first come out of the train station.

Also not sure how offices will bring in mega money.

It's not finished,it's a building site so so it's ridiculous to say it looks hideous.

A lot of people entirely missing the point that V&A is to drive regeneration and that commercial offices were in the plan from Day 1. 

It would be nice just to build big museums for no reason but once up these offices will be prime sites opposite to the V&A and will bring in mega money *

* if Brexit is cancelled.

I accept that there needs to be a commercial aspect to developments - it's just at the moment the building looks horrendous - a glass, concrete and steel box.

I hope it looks better once it is finished.

10 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Actually it's not far off completion so it's totally fair to say it looks hideous. What a shite thing to see when you first come out of the train station.

Also not sure how offices will bring in mega money.

The artist's impression does look a bit ordinary. They're hoping for 800 people to be working in it though which could liven up the area. Last time I was in Dundee they were halfway through building the V&A and the area was soulless. A few tourists doesn't bring life to a place in its own. Hopefully ground level will be restaurants, bars and shops.

5a266d027054b-940x513.jpg

Just now, welshbairn said:

The artist's impression does look a bit ordinary. They're hoping for 800 people to be working in it though which could liven up the area. Last time I was in Dundee they were halfway through building the V&A and the area was soulless. A few tourists doesn't bring life to a place in its own.

Im actually more excited at the massive marshmallow  that will be built behind it.

24 minutes ago, Ylf said:

What’s the beef with it tam?

I've been in quite a few museums in my time, including the V&A in London, was just a bit disappointed that's all. The design ideas of the actual building are great in principle, does it look like cliffs on the east coast? Does it f**k :lol:  and those visible brackets on the outside are fucking tinpot. The "livingroom of Dundee" idea is great as well. Is it like that in real life? Not so much. The main hall is well designed but far too vast and a bit of a waste of space imo. Don't get me wrong it's fantastic for Dundee and the east coast as a whole, was just expecting it to be a wee bit better that's all.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The artist's impression does look a bit ordinary. They're hoping for 800 people to be working in it though which could liven up the area. Last time I was in Dundee they were halfway through building the V&A and the area was soulless. A few tourists doesn't bring life to a place in its own. Hopefully ground level will be restaurants, bars and shops.

I thought it was about reconnecting the city centre to the waterfront. How does a hideous beige office block achieve that? Would seem to get in the way no?

46 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

I thought it was about reconnecting the city centre to the waterfront. How does a hideous beige office block achieve that? Would seem to get in the way no?

Leaving it as green space wouldn't exactly have been reconnecting the city to the waterfront, the only way that's going to be done is by extending the city centre out to the waterfront, and that's through building right down to the V&A much like this office block is. I think the bottom floor will be a restaurant/bar.

I don't think it'll look as bad once other buildings start springing up around it, it stands out more because it's basically in the middle of a building site.

2 minutes ago, GorgieRoad said:

Leaving it as green space wouldn't exactly have been reconnecting the city to the waterfront, the only way that's going to be done is by extending the city centre out to the waterfront, and that's through building right down to the V&A much like this office block is. I think the bottom floor will be a restaurant/bar.

I don't think it'll look as bad once other buildings start springing up around it, it stands out more because it's basically in the middle of a building site.

As opposed to having a footpath/road for example?

Or allowing the space to connect the old with the new?

Or some c**t has decided that the project is costing a cuntload of money and there has to be a compromise to recover a shortfall in funds?

41 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

As opposed to having a footpath/road for example?

Or allowing the space to connect the old with the new?

Or some c**t has decided that the project is costing a cuntload of money and there has to be a compromise to recover a shortfall in funds?

It's been on the plans since day 1.

Reconnecting the city to the waterfront is just birthday card pish the PR team put out. The whole project is about economic regeneration of the city centre.

Dundee waterfront was fucked the minute they put the Tay Rd bridge in. There is no way they would re-route west to east traffic around the ring road permanently so you just have to make the best of the fact there is a dual carriageway going through your city centre.

It has reconnected the city to the water in as much as you can actually get down there which you couldn't very easily with old Olympia and hotel.

Folk forget the last time the city was connected to the river the river was at the bottom of Union St

It's definitely better than what was there before.

It's been on the plans since day 1.
Reconnecting the city to the waterfront is just birthday card pish the PR team put out. The whole project is about economic regeneration of the city centre.
Dundee waterfront was fucked the minute they put the Tay Rd bridge in. There is no way they would re-route west to east traffic around the ring road permanently so you just have to make the best of the fact there is a dual carriageway going through your city centre.
It has reconnected the city to the water in as much as you can actually get down there which you couldn't very easily with old Olympia and hotel.
Folk forget the last time the city was connected to the river the river was at the bottom of Union St
It's definitely better than what was there before.
That last sentence sums up your view. What a missed opportunity.

A building (or two) on one or two levels would've for in nicely with the rest of the space, and created less of a wind tunnel.

Connecting the city with the water front is far from birthday caird pish.

Archived