The Pedestrianisation of Glasgow City Centre

Glasgow City Council are a joke and always have been.
I would expect them all the look like Harry Clarke, and that's the wimmen.

When I was born Glasgow was a wasteland. Now it's a very popular short break destination and globally recognised for architecture, art, culture and music, and a major shopping destination for those who like that sort of thing. There are world class sporting venues drawing global and continental competitions, that are open to extensive public use all year too. The Riverside has been transformed and huge effort has gone into improving housing. There's an awful lot wrong but it would be nuts to say Glasgow hasn't also had some seriously excellent leadership in the past 30-odd years too.

No of course not and as for the virgin boys taunt of it being a cowp you are missing the point.

Kilwinning Main Street used to be quite busy on a daily basis. They pedestrianised it and it got very quiet very quickly. As a result there is very little left in terms of local businesses/jobs in the town compared to 20 years ago.

George Square is in the centre of Scotland’s largest city centre and next to Buchanan Street, one of Glasgow’s busiest streets. Struggling to see the comparison to places like Milngavie or Kilwinning tbh. People driving through George Square are likely dropping folk off at Queen Street or going elsewhere so I don’t see how it would negatively affect footfall to the Square if traffic is cut off either.

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

George Square is in the centre of Scotland’s largest city centre and next to Buchanan Street, one of Glasgow’s busiest streets. Struggling to see the comparison to places like Milngavie or Kilwinning tbh. People driving through George Square are likely dropping folk off at Queen Street or going elsewhere so I don’t see how it would negatively affect footfall to the Square if traffic is cut off either.

I'm not comparing it at all - it was just a separate point on a related conversation.  George Square would probably thrive as a result of closing off traffic and would end up more like the "squares" you see on the continent with people sitting outside (in the summer anyway) and enjoying George Square more than you do just now.

Sauchiehall Street though I'm not so sure.

I used to drive a van in Glasgow City Centre every working day.  I knew the place like the back of my hand.  I've not had to come into the City Centre with the car, other than straight into the works car park or one of the multistoreys, for years.

The layout has changed to a significant degree that I think i'd end up driving the wrong way up a one way street or get about £100k in fines for driving up bus lanes.

1 minute ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I used to drive a van in Glasgow City Centre every working day.  I knew the place like the back of my hand.  I've not had to come into the City Centre with the car, other than straight into the works car park or one of the multistoreys, for years.

The layout has changed to a significant degree that I think i'd end up driving the wrong way up a one way street or get about £100k in fines for driving up bus lanes.

Do that in London and your liable to get tarred with the ISIS brush.

13 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Kilwinning Main Street used to be quite busy on a daily basis. They pedestrianised it and it got very quiet very quickly. As a result there is very little left in terms of local businesses/jobs in the town compared to 20 years ago.

The days when Amazon was nothing but a rainforest, a gum tree was something that grew in one and eBay had 30 employees.

1998:

ibm-computer.jpg

1.jpg

_81261_tesco300.jpg

• Morrisons opens it's first store outside of northern England
  • David Sainsbury leaves Sainsbury's which appears to be going down the sh*tter
  • Scotland qualify for a World Cup
Edited by Hedgecutter

25 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

The days when Amazon was nothing but a rainforest, a gum tree was something that grew in one and eBay had 30 employees.

1998:

ibm-computer.jpg

1.jpg

_81261_tesco300.jpg

• Morrisons opens it's first store outside of northern England
  • David Sainsbury leaves Sainsbury's which appears to be going down the sh*tter
  • Scotland make a World Cup (because 2nd in the group behind Austria provides automatic qualification).

There's a thread for this shit.

Just now, Dindeleux said:

There's a thread for this shit.

Tbf, it wouldn't be needed had you acknowledged that internet shopping and out-of-town giant supermarkets weren't around at the time you're using as a comparison.

1 hour ago, Dindeleux said:

I'm not comparing it at all - it was just a separate point on a related conversation.  George Square would probably thrive as a result of closing off traffic and would end up more like the "squares" you see on the continent with people sitting outside (in the summer anyway) and enjoying George Square more than you do just now.

This is Glasgow we're talking about, right?

Driest summer for decades:

1.jpg.fee1a21e663fad23ef2f38e5080d85e2.jpg

Edited by Hedgecutter

3 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Aye true. The bottom end of Sauchiehall Street has a lot of good bars and not so good, but popular, clubs. You could probably focus on that particularly since there's a growing clamour to extend the licensing hours in Glasgow.

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

This is Glasgow we're talking about, right?

Driest summer for decades:

There has been loads of decent weather this summer and if there was no traffic in George Sq the business units around the square could expand out with outdoor seating and they could also  run more events in the square.