Lewis Ferguson

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3068226/lewis-ferguson-hamilton-aberdeen-tribunal-club-philosophy-blow/

Hearing that Accies have knocked back a £400,000 bid from Aberdeen this week. I wonder if this latest bid and their lack of transfer activity shows the panic in the ranks there?

When you read more into it there's little wonder Aberdeen are trying to stop this going to the tribunal on 21st August. Ferguson is already a regular and is clearly miles ahead of Telfer who went for nearly over £200,000 in the only other similar case FOUR years ago. Even then Dundee United technically got him from a League One club where he wasn't even playing.

Surely the SFA are going to rule in favour of the club actually producing the player? They've spent years trying to convince clubs to invest heavily in their flagship Project Brave initiative. Now they've got the buy are they really going to rule in favour of giving away the top talent from one of their elite academies for next to nothing?  

Don't think there's any appeal so if this does go to a tribunal you'd have to think Aberdeen are in a bit of bother. 

Genuinely interested to hear thoughts here? For me, looks like it could be a costly misjudgement. I suppose, saying that, they could probably sell him for 7 figures down south tomorrow if they wanted.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't see why this will be that different to other players leaving under freedom of contract before. Aberdeen got about 300k from teams down south for guys like Ryan Fraser and Fraser Fyvie who'd played about similar or a lot more games respectively.

The SFA can't start ramping up fees without precedent. £400,000 seems about the top end of what would likely be decided on and I really doubt Aberdeen would have bid that.

6 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

What does this mean? 

They have to pay over the majority of their best bid.

I.e Aberdeen have said they have bid over £100k so they'll already have given Hamilton around £100k

12 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Isn't there a formula they use? Seems weird to leave it up to a subjective panel.

I would go with y=mx+c

Where:

y  = how shite Hamilton are,

m = the number of words in Martin Cannings vocabulary

x = the amount of times Bert Racoon sticks his fingers up to the away crowd

c = the size of Rodger's fiveheid.

21 minutes ago, d31 said:

They have to pay over the majority of their best bid.

I.e Aberdeen have said they have bid over £100k so they'll already have given Hamilton around £100k

They just had to pay the first bid, which was 100k. If the panel decided lower that 100k, Hamilton would have to pay it back.

400k is just a last ditch attempt to stop it going to a tribunal.

28 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Don't see why this will be that different to other players leaving under freedom of contract before. Aberdeen got about 300k from teams down south for guys like Ryan Fraser and Fraser Fyvie who'd played about similar or a lot more games respectively.

The SFA can't start ramping up fees without precedent. £400,000 seems about the top end of what would likely be decided on and I really doubt Aberdeen would have bid that.

One could argue the precedent was set and it was for £200,000+ for Charlie Telfer who'd made one sub appearance in league one

8 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Interesting article. Yer man thinks Aberdeen should have acted like Rangers.

Aye.

He also thinks Ferguson played four games for us in the Europa League which would be pretty remarkable.

Not really sure attention to detail seems to be Hamilton's forte.

2 minutes ago, Thralo Rust said:

One could argue the precedent was set and it was for £200,000+ for Charlie Telfer who'd made one sub appearance in league one

In which case playing less than half a season for Hamilton wouldn't come close to the fee they're trying to demand. 

Comparing fees gained for players with years left in their contract as he's tried to do is a nonsense.

8 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

In which case playing less than half a season for Hamilton wouldn't come close to the fee they're trying to demand. 

Comparing fees gained for players with years left in their contract as he's tried to do is a nonsense.

Telford played one game in league one and went for £200K. Ferguson played 18 games in the premier so I'd imagine £900K would be about right.

Will be interesting to see what happens on the 21st and before then.

I'd be surprised if Hamilton aren't keen to do some negotiating themselves as there will be no % sell on, extra for a scotland cap etc if it goes to tribunal.

Surely the maximum would be either the value of the contract Hamilton offered him, or the # years training X cost of a years training formula?

Which would be 3-400k max (see Fyvie & Fraser fees).

Just as well the tribunal can only take his 19 games for Hamilton into account since he's starting to look like 900k would be a steal :thumsup2

Archived