Stenny Versus Airdrieonians

What a difference a week makes. Last week was atrocious and this week was a real fighting performance. No weaknesses this week whereas last week had zero good performances. Scott Stewart was like a completely different person. The whole team showed great togetherness and fighting spirit in adversity. Unfair to pick someone out but Conroy is proving his doubters wrong. That’s 3 cracking goals from him in 5 days.

I hope Duffy isn’t badly injured. A long term absence from him would be a blow to our attacking potential.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So proud today - by shit, that was a team effort and a half. 10 heroes -but have to mention  the superb cross field pass by Dale Carrick to  Kieren MacDonald for a wee shifty and a perfect cross for Ryan Conroy's beautiful back post header, the lovely feet  from Joao Victoria before again a superbly driven shot from Ryan Conroy and finally a superb goalkeeping performance  from David Hutton . But what a fantastic team performance.   And the Airdrie support - what's left of us  - for those last 10 odd minutes - brilliant - brought back lots of old memories..

So proud today - by shit, that was a team effort and a half. 10 heroes

And the Airdrie support - what's left of us  - for those last 10 odd minutes - brilliant - brought back lots of old memories..

Sums today up for me, travelling back with a big grin on my face thinking how well every player did and never gave up.

Takes me right back to the hours spent watching and travelling back from games of yesteryear with my dad.

Brilliant stuff, roll on next week for a different challenge.

"Well in mate ya c**t, scotty running ya rampant ya cock"

Lovely message received from an Airdrie fan on the forum last night. I hope you enjoyed your evening. Takes the internet very seerious this man.

Hutton had a couple of worldy saves but for me Airdrie deserved that over the piece. We looked the better team when it was 11 v 11 but as soon as Robertson (correctly) got sent off we lacked ideas as Airdrie sat in. We could not move the ball slower if we tried. Two really well taken goals from Airdrie and to be honest could have had a couple more themselves if it was not for a few really good saves from Buzz.

Carrick in particular was outstanding and big Crichton bullied Guigsy at the back. On that evidence Airdrie should be pushing for the play offs I would imagine. 

Tena apparently got Johnston's Bar MOTM which must be a wind up. We are relegation certainties if he is going to play 36 games at the back. Our left hand side is pretty good but we are so below the standard required on the other side and are so easy to get at there. 

2 hours ago, Neilly said:

Tena apparently got Johnston's Bar MOTM which must be a wind up. We are relegation certainties if he is going to play 36 games at the back. 

I haven’t been overly impressed with him either since he’s came in. Looks a few yards short of pace for this level and a wee bit suspect when it comes to doing his job defending. Impressed with gibbo again. Thought we played well though but didn’t ask enough questions of airdrie when they went down to ten. 

That 90th minute save from their keeper though was absolutely outstanding. 

With all the love that's flittering about the SFA at the moment -  the Morelos red card rescinded, no action against Brown and Naismith last week - surely Airdrie must appeal Robbo's red card? Surely after looking at the evidence and taking into consideration the incompetence  of the official in interpreting the rules his card would be rescinded?  Naw.....I forgot we're a diddy club - we'd lose the appeal.

On 16 August 2018 at 18:54, Neilly said:

I always see Airdrie at home as an east 3 points and this will be the same. Cook to run them ragged we all know the score here lads. The boy Stewart won't sleep the night before.

3-0 to The Mighty. Cookie adding to a BRV  hat-trick.

imageproxy.php.png

Safe to say you should never lose a game when against 10 min for 3/4 of the match, but the reality was that we actually played quite well and created enough chances to win, but we came up against a pretty solid backline and keeper, while Victoria was a constant threat up front. Lack of goals remain a worry though. Feel we need to get some goals from the strikers as they are clearly low on confidence, McGuigan in particular. 

The red was clear cut. Last man challenge. Funnily enough it was the turning point as we were well on top up to that point.

Disappointing that we could not beat 10 men for the majority of the game.  Initially thought the red card was harsh but having seen the highlights perhaps the right decision.   We should have been playing the ball out wide stretching the 10 men but failed to do so. Hutton had some cracking saves as well and did very well.  Victoria managed to dance round 5 players to set up the second goal yesterday without a meaningful tackle being put in.  We are creating some chances but failing to capitise on them. Worringly if you consider that Cook's goal was a deflection and we got an own goal against Brechin then we have not scored a direct goal in 7 out of 8 games. Hopefully if we continue to create chances that will change.  Tena and Reid have failed to impress so far and  with Reid being completely lost at the first goal.

Safe to say you should never lose a game when against 10 min for 3/4 of the match, but the reality was that we actually played quite well and created enough chances to win, but we came up against a pretty solid backline and keeper, while Victoria was a constant threat up front. Lack of goals remain a worry though. Feel we need to get some goals from the strikers as they are clearly low on confidence, McGuigan in particular. 
The red was clear cut. Last man challenge. Funnily enough it was the turning point as we were well on top up to that point.
There was sufficient cover from Page to suggest it wasn't last man, the ref had an utter nightmare and it was no more than justice that we held on for the win.

I actually think Stenny were pretty poor as I've said a few posts ago, you moved the ball from side to side in front of us a lot of the time with no penetration, not to mention the goal taken a massive deflection.

Great performance (once we went down to 10). We created 2-3 other good chances, plus hit the bar. Can't really remember Stenny creating anything until the header at the end, even their goal was a shot that was dragged wide until the deflection. Listened to Brown Ferguson's interview and he's trying to make out that they were undone by an inspired goalkeeping performance, which really isn't the case. Hutton did everything he had to do excellently, but apart from a stunning save at the end, he didn't save anything that you wouldn't have expected him to make. It was mainly just shots from 20 yards.

I think it will take a while until we find the perfect system and personnel because for once we do have a lot of options. We just need to keep grinding out wins by showing the same attitude as yesterday until we find our best team. Certainly much prefer the back 4 of MacDonald, Page, Crighton and Robertson/Stewart. Amazing how much better Stewart was at right-back with competent centre-backs beside him, unlike a couple of years ago. Conroy was superb and played with much more freedom yesterday, need to make sure the team set-up continues to allow him to do that.

18 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Great performance (once we went down to 10). We created 2-3 other good chances, plus hit the bar. Can't really remember Stenny creating anything until the header at the end, even their goal was a shot that was dragged wide until the deflection. Listened to Brown Ferguson's interview and he's trying to make out that they were undone by an inspired goalkeeping performance, which really isn't the case. Hutton did everything he had to do excellently, but apart from a stunning save at the end, he didn't save anything that you wouldn't have expected him to make. It was mainly just shots from 20 yards.

I think it will take a while until we find the perfect system and personnel because for once we do have a lot of options. We just need to keep grinding out wins by showing the same attitude as yesterday until we find our best team. Certainly much prefer the back 4 of MacDonald, Page, Crighton and Robertson/Stewart. Amazing how much better Stewart was at right-back with competent centre-backs beside him, unlike a couple of years ago. Conroy was superb and played with much more freedom yesterday, need to make sure the team set-up continues to allow him to do that.

Totally agree about Hutton. Most of the saves he had to make were ones he’d be disappointed if he didn’t except the last minute which was magnificent. I liked his reaction. He bounced up and started giving the defenders abuse for not having cut out the cross.

In other news, was that a bigger than normal stenny support? Used to be half and half in the stand but seemed all home fans. Also see they changed the catering arrangement.
Nae sausage rolls!! Steak and gravy pie was out of this world though

5 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:
16 minutes ago, EJF said:
In other news, was that a bigger than normal stenny support? Used to be half and half in the stand but seemed all home fans. Also see they changed the catering arrangement.

Nae sausage rolls!! Steak and gravy pie was out of this world though

Guy 2 in front of me got the last burger. Was raging.

Be gutted to be a home fan if they lose out on one of the best pie stalls and have to use a burger van.

Archived