Stenny Versus Airdrieonians

Let’s start this off with just how important it is that we get a massive response from the team on Saturday. The last two league games have been no where near the standard we should be looking to set. I didn’t get to Berwick Rangers last night but a positive result with a few changes to the team.

I think on Saturday we have to play the same team and HOPEFULLY Millar is back into the middle of the park, I find it strange that he hasn’t featured, even just a little, in the games against Montrose and Berwick Rangers after the match preview for the Montrose game saying that he was likely to have recovered from his groin strain. Moving onto the rest of the team, I think we need to go with the 4-3-3 formation and have at least one of Victoria or McIntosh starting, it gives us another much needed dimension.

I’m not even going to try and predict a score line to this game given our recent form against Stenny. I expect a decent test from them and hope we can pick up the 3 points.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We all know Stenny have been a bogey team, and there is no doubt this result will be scrutinised from the boardroom down. Too early in the campaign for the manager's job to be at risk, but the investment the directors have put in is likely to mean there will be a lack of patience. 

The depth of squad is great, but it seems to be compounding the fact that the dugout don't seem to have settled on what the best starting eleven is. Maybe its a case of horses for courses and we field personnel to suit the opponents. But that didn't seem to be the case against either Forfar or Montrose. 

A scrappy win will buy some breathing space. Anything less and the dugout may be starting to look over their shoulders.

I hope Cairns retains his place, Millar is back and Stewart is given a seat on the bench. Also, O'neill may provide some pace and width, sadly lacking of late.

4 minutes ago, OTL2014 said:

We all know Stenny have been a bogey team, and there is no doubt this result will be scrutinised from the boardroom down. Too early in the campaign for the manager's job to be at risk, but the investment the directors have put in is likely to mean there will be a lack of patience. 

The depth of squad is great, but it seems to be compounding the fact that the dugout don't seem to have settled on what the best starting eleven is. Maybe its a case of horses for courses and we field personnel to suit the opponents. But that didn't seem to be the case against either Forfar or Montrose. 

A scrappy win will buy some breathing space. Anything less and the dugout may be starting to look over their shoulders.

I hope Cairns retains his place, Millar is back and Stewart is given a seat on the bench. Also, O'neill may provide some pace and width, sadly lacking of late.

I agree with your last paragraph apart from the bit about O’Neill. He’s only a squad player and not nearly as good as Robertson.

Seats on the second bus to Stenhousemuir going fast, all Aces travelling on the bus get free travel and entry to the game as well as getting to enjoy the entertainment before the match and a free lunch. The bus is open to non Aces and adults too for a £5 donation on the day.

To book a seat on the bus simple e-mail the names of all those wanting to travel to airdrietrust@hotmail.com

So please remember to join up to the Aces if you haven't already done so, £10 membership for the full season. The value of this trip alone is over £10 and with lots more plans coming up over the season this has to be the best £10 you will spend this year. You can join on the bus on the day.

39135002_2164895326878172_82827408786744

21 hours ago, OTL2014 said:

I agree and this was a problem last season too. Now last season, we were guff and had a makeshift team so fair enough. But this season Findlay has been able to sign the squad he wants and did so early in pre-season so there's really no excuse. 

Can't add anything more really to what's been said. Big game for the management team and squad already. Good result on Tuesday but the response to last Saturday isn't over yet. We need to get a win this weekend. 

Would imagine we will go for the same team as Tuesday but would like to see Millar back in, if fit, and would start Duffy too alongside Carrick and Victoria with McIntosh coming off the bench to make an impact if needed. Duffy is our player most likely to score as long as chances are created for him. 

Stenny have been a right bogey team for us the last few years. Would take a scrappy 1-0 OG off the defender's arse win. 

Also please shout lots of abuse at Kevin O'Hara for me please.

I'm sorry to be missing this match due to holiday but I reckon we can given Airdrieonians a decent go. We showed up well enough against Queen of the South for the best part of the match on Tuesday night and, by all accounts, we were a little unlucky not to have taken something from the game with Raith Rovers at the weekend.

Airdrie will have gone through a lot of changes since we last faced them but I was impressed by their recruitment over the summer and, on paper at least, have a squad well equipped to challenge towards the top of the table. Kieran Millar was always a favourite of mine when he was at the Warriors and I'm pleased there's some doubt as to whether or not he'll actually platy. Still, some big hitters in the team, especially in defence and up top.

I'm not sure what our availability's like but I think we'll probably go with:

- O'Hara - McGuigan -

- Cook - Dickson - Gibbons - Duthie -

- Donaldson - Tena - Neill - Reid -

- Smith -

Don't see why we can't win it. A draw the likelier of the outcomes, I reckon.

I always see Airdrie at home as an east 3 points and this will be the same. Cook to run them ragged we all know the score here lads. The boy Stewart won't sleep the night before.

3-0 to The Mighty. Cookie adding to a BRV  hat-trick.

3 hours ago, Neilly said:

I always see Airdrie at home as an east 3 points and this will be the same. Cook to run them ragged we all know the score here lads. The boy Stewart won't sleep the night before.

I think he might be up against Robertson ( ex Stranraer) who is a lot more experienced and is actually a defender which Scott Stewart is not. The points rather than going "east" might be coming "West" ?  I like Ochilview as a venue despite our recent woes!

Airdrieonians maybe already in the place where you learn that spending big doesnt always bring you success. saying that I think they will come good once they bite the bullet and settle on a confirmed starting 11. hopefuly that comes after saturday and its a convincing 2-0 win for stenny. goal from o'hara and BRV

Last two games against Raith and Queen of the South we have given a good account of ourselves - we should not have lost last Saturday - but I am hoping that O'Hara is the missing piece of the jigsaw, as we haven't looked like scoring any time soon. Team is certainly competitive at this level so we have nothing to be afraid of going into the game tomorrow.

5 hours ago, Burnsythebinman said:

Airdrieonians maybe already in the place where you learn that spending big doesnt always bring you success. saying that I think they will come good once they bite the bullet and settle on a confirmed starting 11. hopefuly that comes after saturday and its a convincing 2-0 win for stenny. goal from o'hara and BRV

Who’s this BRV character?

Enjoy yer three points mate.

‘Cookie’ will be having nightmares of Scott Stewart tonight.

GTRFUY.

It was very satisfying watching 'Cookie drift inside after getting no joy out of Scott Stewart.

For what it's worth I thought we were excellent performance from us today despite the ref being absolutely terrible, up there with the worst of Matt Norcrofts performances. I said at half time that I felt Stenny didn't really do much other than move the ball from side to side with next to zero penetration and that if was in fact our own fault that they moved forward as we sat deeper and deeper, I thought the writing was on the wall at half time and we would walk away with our usual result at Stenny. To my (and many I'm sure) surprise we were excellent to a man. We were well organised and clinical when we had the chances. A deserved 3 points.

Special mention to our away support today, absolutely fantastic and makes you wonder why we can't get behind the team at home.

Mon the Diamonds [emoji815] [emoji815]

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 22:37, Chapelhall chap said:

I think he might be up against Robertson ( ex Stranraer) who is a lot more experienced and is actually a defender which Scott Stewart is not. The points rather than going "east" might be coming "West" ?  I like Ochilview as a venue despite our recent woes!

I got it wrong with both Robertson/Stewart and Cook: Robertson caught caught  out and certainly it was a foul on Cooke but was it a clear goal scoring opportunity? I think not and someone said to me that the Ref's wife was getting a good view of his days work from the houses behind that goal.  We had made a few good chances in that period and Crichton just missed from a corner. The Red card let Stenhousemuir dominate possession but much of that was sideways. The opening goal was a great attack from Conroy and Mcdonald's  cross was just begging to be headed in but I was amazed that it was Conroy (has he ever scored a header?) . Should have gone in ahead but careless space for Cook and it was all square. In the second half Scott Stewart finally shut him down and Cook drifted always infield where our CBs blocked everything. Conroy's second was even better than the first after good work from Vittoria, After that it was back to the wall/ counter attacks and the MOM in that period was Hutton who produced some great saves especially from the last minute header. A real fighting display and the points came west. This will be like all the games in this division and Stenhousemuir were no mugs. Conroy just looks so much more enthusiastic and hopefully home games will be better,

9 minutes ago, el Gringo said:

And THAT is how the ‘Cookie’ crumbles.

I thangyoo.

Archived