Montrose v Brechin

5 hours ago, Overthehedge1 said:

I thought for the standards he’s set and how Ive seen him preform hill was below par today but still comfortably one of our better players kind of old school Center half but on his day can play abit didn’t see the second part of his game enough today tho , burns had an off day as did Jackson , thought apart from the goal Boris was poor, sinclare and tapping had quiet games, moreno I just don’t know what he gives the team, mcgeever was ok needs games and lost his man for the first goal,, Conor was good, Kalvin is a typical winger hot and cold, he has a bit of magic tho,  Smith is a hard one I thought pen was really soft and that obv makes you think he was poor but I thought he was ok apart from that, 

Na it's a blatant push for penalty .I prefer Smithy in midfield. . I felt Boris worked hard and never gave up.  He s alright brings more to game than Isaac 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Montrose made hard work of that yesterday,sloppy goal to lose before half time and gave Brechin a much needed lift after we battered them for the first 35 mins.Credit to Brechin though came out a different team in the second half and had a right Good go, we just couldn't get the 3rd goal to make it a bit easier.Good 3 points though well happy with that onto next week.

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 21:52, theoriginalhedge said:

If the popularity of the latest  Angus derbies video is anything to go by we will be the best attended fixture of the SPFL ............Over 64000 people have watched the video on various social network sites and about half that have liked and shared it .  All credit to Corrie Robb who created and produced it . A real creative young graphics designer with a great future ahead of him .  

Just hope these derbies live up to the standards of the video. 

Pity it didn't. Back to square one, awful play, awful tactics from hands on hips Dods.

2 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

A good three points. I can't remember the last time we beat brechin. Must be at least 20 years?

Yep. :(

I felt there was not much between the teams just that our continual bad habit of gifting teams goals surfaced again. 

As was said there seems to be a lack of motivation from the sidelines . .......All the more worrying as it was our first derby match of the season and Dods didn't seem to realise that. 

I thought it a real negative substitution taking off Jackson  when chasing the game in the last quarter.  Maybe he was tiring but throwing caution to the wind with 3 up front might have been a better option and given the fans some hope that Dods actually had a desire to win compared to just not wanting to lose . 

Oh dear, oh dear. 

Looked like two shite teams with the shittiest losing. The ball got battered.

Yes Montrose started better and yes it was a pen but we were poor all over the place with Conner, Dougie and Boris getting pass marks, just. We had nothing in midfield, a lot of huffing and puffing and Dods doing nothing to influence the game. A prime example was when Shields was down injured all the players went over for water - Dods handed bottles out and took them back but appeared to say little - he could have used this time to galvanise, motivate and encourage the players to push for the last 15 minutes but on the face of it did nothing. And then pinging two centre halves up to ping balls into at the end smacks of desperation, in fact he could have done that from the first minute as everything was getting pinged into Jackson (who still does not look fit but does link with Boris) and Boris.

Nothing against the guys on the bench, but their abilities do not lie with chasing the game and being the creative spark that we need - Dods signing policy clearly not paying dividends.

So where from here?

There is an easy and clear solution but that is not likely to happen.

5 hours ago, brechincity said:

Pity it didn't. Back to square one, awful play, awful tactics from hands on hips Dods.

To be fair  you have forgotten the hands behind back Dods . Thats my personal favorite . Like  ' its nowt to do with me guv ' .

1 hour ago, Cold Feet said:

Oh dear, oh dear. 

Yes Montrose started better and yes it was a pen but we were poor all over the place with Conner, Dougie and Boris getting pass marks, just. We had nothing in midfield, a lot of huffing and puffing and Dods doing nothing to influence the game. A prime example was when Shields was down injured all the players went over for water - Dods handed bottles out and took them back but appeared to say little - he could have used this time to galvanise, motivate and encourage the players to push for the last 15 minutes but on the face of it did nothing. And then pinging two centre halves up to ping balls into at the end smacks of desperation, in fact he could have done that from the first minute as everything was getting pinged into Jackson (who still does not look fit but does link with Boris) and Boris.

Nothing against the guys on the bench, but their abilities do not lie with chasing the game and being the creative spark that we need - Dods signing policy clearly not paying dividends.

So where from here?

Lets hope for all our sakes it happens soon before its too late.

3 hours ago, Cold Feet said:

Oh dear, oh dear. 

So where from here?

I know there was nobody on the bench yesterday that filled you with any hope .

Books have to be balanced and club ran efficiently but we ve been in debt and came out unscathed that's the way little clubs work I'm sure another couple players in won t ruin the club . Get a couple better players in start improving then give Scots Cup a good go we might be lucky to get a plum draw again . 

Or don t they trust DD with the cash ???? 

I got the excuse that they had to get players in quickly to be registered for the league cup .  Hence the quality of some was not too good as they were panic signings. 

Sorry but that is a pretty poor excuse and more reason to question the management team's preparation  for this season.   They had at least 6 months to prepare and target players so why wasn't this done?  

I think they have got off very lightly after the disaster of last season and it looks as if the finger has been taken off the pulse as regards this one.  No targets were set regarding points/ wins  to be gained and it appears that is the same this season.  I know we are regarded as a community club who look after their  staff well , but I think that has been pushed to the limit now. 

To try and get any better players in at this point in the season is futile as they have all been snapped up already .   Would we get any better than we have at present ? And by all accounts the quality loan players who would make a difference are outwith our budgets as the parent clubs are demanding more and more. 

Personally I think we have the makings of a pretty good team , it just looks as if they need managed and coached  a bit better.  That sadly seems to be the dilemma facing the committee .  Do they keep backing the management team in the hope things change ( throwing cash at more panic signings ) or do they bite the bullet and start looking for fresh ideas ? 

24 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I got the excuse that they had to get players in quickly to be registered for the league cup .  Hence the quality of some was not too good as they were panic signings. 

Sorry but that is a pretty poor excuse and more reason to question the management team's preparation  for this season.   They had at least 6 months to prepare and target players so why wasn't this done?  

I think they have got off very lightly after the disaster of last season and it looks as if the finger has been taken off the pulse as regards this one.  No targets were set regarding points/ wins  to be gained and it appears that is the same this season.  I know we are regarded as a community club who look after their  staff well , but I think that has been pushed to the limit now. 

To try and get any better players in at this point in the season is futile as they have all been snapped up already .   Would we get any better than we have at present ? And by all accounts the quality loan players who would make a difference are outwith our budgets as the parent clubs are demanding more and more. 

Personally I think we have the makings of a pretty good team , it just looks as if they need managed and coached  a bit better.  That sadly seems to be the dilemma facing the committee .  Do they keep backing the management team in the hope things change ( throwing cash at more panic signings ) or do they bite the bullet and start looking for fresh ideas ? 

We have as good a starting 11 as I’ve seen at the club in the last 5 years , it’s getting everyone fit, the team being more consistent and actually having a way of playing, can Dods do this I hope so if not it’s time to change

1 minute ago, Overthehedge1 said:

We have as good a starting 11 as I’ve seen at the club in the last 5 years , it’s getting everyone fit, the team being more consistent and actually having a way of playing, can Dods do this I hope so if not it’s time to change

Hope seems to be the common denominator here sadly !!  :(

2 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Ha, ha, ha...

Here we are, just delighted to get promoted and the Brechiners are going into meltdown over a loss to us. Happy days!

_101980608_mediaitem101980605.jpg

6 hours ago, Brummo said:

Ha, ha, ha...

Here we are, just delighted to get promoted and the Brechiners are going into meltdown over a loss to us. Happy days!

Don't flatter yersel getting beat from Montrose is not the main issue here its the way  we are playing basically Saturday was just more shite in a long line of shite that we have had to endure.

8 hours ago, Brummo said:

Ha, ha, ha...

No disrespect to Montrose you win games you lose games ! 

But we are having a meltdown about 1 win in 40 league games since April 2017 certainly not about losing to you guys . At the moment your a club on the up better management,  better hospitality , better facilities. You are a COMMUNITY CLUB and good for yous .

Us we re miles behind the other Angus Clubs on and off the field . 

You guys have been the poor relation for last 20 years but now your getting your time ...  Enjoy it ..

MELTDOWN OVER HA HA HA 

I didn't think that our second half display was terrible, but there was just no real threat at all other than simply relying on wild shots.  Overall there were just far too many sloppy mistakes (from both sides), the pass completion rate being pretty poor, even for pretty simple short ones.  First 20 mins really let us down but other than that, I thought we would have taken a draw from that.  However, that was a pretty poor Montrose team that we should be beating if we have any aspirations of avoiding a relegation scrap, which one can only see in the pipeline.

To echo and combine a couple of points that have already been made:  I think we have the basis of a decent team but it's the management that's letting us down with absolutely no direction or even encouragement from the sidelines, with the aforementioned Shields injury being the perfect example.  Dods could have selected the team and then gone to the pub for the first half and it would have made absolutely no difference at all.  It would have been the same for the second half, except he was there to make the questionable subs.  That was it.   You'd think he'd learned management from Football Manager with the auto-play option on and thinks that the real thing should be exactly the same.  That's just piss poor management and just a coach that works with the team midweek could keep the status quo. 

Also agree with the lack of targets being set, which should be a job from the board.  There's just no pressure on him (or the players) and it seems that there's a strong hint of "ach, it'll be fine, remember the great escape season?" lingering in the background.  He's been given his chance and has used it to show absolutely no signs of changing his evidently failing approach or attitude that is directing us towards the abyss.  In any other line of work he would have had not only his written / verbal warning by now, but also his P45.  He needs to go.

5 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

However, that was a pretty poor Montrose team that we should be beating if we have any aspirations of avoiding a relegation scrap, which one can only see in the pipeline.

You see it's this that I take exception to. While you are entitled to your opinion, this comes across as arrogant, from a supporter of a time that were frankly a laughing stock last season. It remains to be seen if Petrie will be able to achieve success with a team, minus scorers of 30 goals last season, with the loss of Templeman, Milne and Ballantyne but I would certainly contest your opinion that we are a "pretty poor team". 

42 minutes ago, Brummo said:

You see it's this that I take exception to. While you are entitled to your opinion, this comes across as arrogant, from a supporter of a time that were frankly a laughing stock last season. It remains to be seen if Petrie will be able to achieve success with a team, minus scorers of 30 goals last season, with the loss of Templeman, Milne and Ballantyne but I would certainly contest your opinion that we are a "pretty poor team". 

Sorry you will have to toughen up a bit  and get used to this kind of thing this season.  A bit like going up to the big school. ;)8)

People take teams as they find them and generally we all thought that Montrose were not much better than us on the day.   Granted you took advantage when we were in pub team mode for the first half hour but after that it was pretty even . 

No doubt you will probably play better but the comment was made on Saturday's performance . 

40 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Sorry you will have to toughen up a bit  and get used to this kind of thing this season.  A bit like going up to the big school. ;)8)

People take teams as they find them and generally we all thought that Montrose were not much better than us on the day.   Granted you took advantage when we were in pub team mode for the first half hour but after that it was pretty even . 

No doubt you will probably play better but the comment was made on Saturday's performance . 

Patronising comment. If the original  comment was about the performance of the team on the day, then that should have been made clear. You seem to be Angus's version of  Clyde in terms of your opinion of your club's self-importance.

Your club is a pale shadow of what it was during the David Will era.

Archived