St Johnstone vs. Dees, Saturday 25th August.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd hope we were monitoring the Shankland situation as well.  Speak to Watt about an extension, and if it's fairly certain he's looking for a bigger club next season then let's be prepared.  Could attempt to sign Shankland now and loan him back to Ayr until January.

I know it's not really in our way of doing things, but a transfer fee for a young up and coming goalscorer with sell-on potential should definitely be considered.

If Dundee offered £70k (which is a pretty generous offer for a player who is unproven above league one level) then that’s what they feel he is worth. They’ll have seen Ayr turn down £150k from AFC Fylde and probably decided to not go back - I certainly doubt they’d treble their original offer when they can sign him on a pre-contract in 3 months time. 

Just now, ayrmad said:

I'd hardly regard paying £70k as a guaranteeing  a starting berth.

Jack Hamilton in our goal is absolute proof of this.

70k is a lot of money for most clubs in Scotland. Regardless of transfer fee though, if Shankland didn't feel confident of getting a game ahead of our strikeforce then he'll never hack it.

23 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

At what level?

Stevie May scored 27 goals in one season for us, 20 in the Premiership, and a few in Europe. He also played in a Scottish Cup winning team. He was 21 years old, and a regular u21 international, and had scored a barrowload of goals at both of his loan spells in lower leagues as well.

He joined Sheffield Wednesday in the bottom half of the English championship.  So what league do you see Shankland going to?

Top of League One/bottom of the Championship.

He's a totally different player from May and May doesn't seem to be the same player now, maybe the cash went to Stevie' head.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

I'd hope we were monitoring the Shankland situation as well.  Speak to Watt about an extension, and if it's fairly certain he's looking for a bigger club next season then let's be prepared.  Could attempt to sign Shankland now and loan him back to Ayr until January.

I know it's not really in our way of doing things, but a transfer fee for a young up and coming goalscorer with sell-on potential should definitely be considered.

Fair play on Tony Watt by the way. He's a player that I'd have been disappointed if we'd signed in the summer but he really looks to be getting his career back on track. Remains to be seen whether it's a David Clarkson style renaissance, but he looks to have given you the cutting edge you lot have lacked for a while!

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

If Dundee offered £70k (which is a pretty generous offer for a player who is unproven above league one level) then that’s what they feel he is worth. They’ll have seen Ayr turn down £150k from AFC Fylde and probably decided to not go back - I certainly doubt they’d treble their original offer when they can sign him on a pre-contract in 3 months time. 

He'll not sign for Dundee in 3 months as £70k showed they don't see the same player he knows he is.

2 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

He's a totally different player from May and May doesn't seem to be the same player now, maybe the cash went to Stevie' head.

Could've been the cash. Could've been the career threatening injury that means he'll never be the same player again. I'm undecided which it is.

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

He'll not sign for Dundee in 3 months as £70k showed they don't see the same player he knows he is.

They don’t see him as that player because he’s fluffed chances in the premiership and championship before. I’ve not seen him but his goal scoring record suggests he can finish which Dundee are clearly short of just now. They’ve already paid 6 figures for a player this summer though so I doubt they’ll do it again. 

Unless an English team at a decent level see Shankland as the player he reckons he is then he might be without a club for a while next summer. That kind of attitude puts me in mind of Craig Sibbald who fucked Falkirk about all last summer, stayed and then signed for Livingston this summer after it became clear the interest wasn’t there. 

2 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

He is totally different. At 21 May was doing the business in the top league of Scotland and then tried himself down south.

Shankland has went from top league to league 1 to championship. Is unproven.

And isn't shankland older than 21 ?

Having already flopped at Aberdeen, St Mirren and Morton to boot.

39 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Detest him but think McGowan in saints midfield would really finalise our team this season. So much goes through him etc. Would have been a good capture.

Thought that all game, exactly the type of player we are needing........just not him though.

He will probably end up living in Perth soon enought mind you, B hall will have some team for a few years

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Fair play on Tony Watt by the way. He's a player that I'd have been disappointed if we'd signed in the summer but he really looks to be getting his career back on track. Remains to be seen whether it's a David Clarkson style renaissance, but he looks to have given you the cutting edge you lot have lacked for a while!

It's been a huge signing for us. It was obviously a gamble, but Tommy has a decent record of taking on good attacking players whose careers are stalling and getting the best out of them. Swanson, O'Halloran, and you could possibly add May as well.   Conveniently ignoring Adam Morgan, obviously.

I thought he looked good for Hearts against us, if a bit too greedy at times, but I hadn't realised just how good he is. He's big and physical and can hold the ball up, is quick and has great movement in behind, and he can score goals.

He could easily be playing English championship if he can knuckle down and find consistency.  There is every chance he loses motivation/ goes off the boil/ implodes, and I'm at risk of doing what they Ayr fan is doing over Shankland, but I'd say Watt has all the attributes of a top striker, certainly at this level.

1 minute ago, G_Man1985 said:

He is totally different. At 21 May was doing the business in the top league of Scotland and then tried himself down south.

Shankland has went from top league to league 1 to championship. Is unproven.

And isn't shankland older than 21 ?

I'm not interested who did what when, players don't need to be playing at a high level for anyone to judge how good they think they are, sometimes you're right and sometimes you're wrong.

6 minutes ago, Kyle said:

They don’t see him as that player because he’s fluffed chances in the premiership and championship before. I’ve not seen him but his goal scoring record suggests he can finish which Dundee are clearly short of just now. They’ve already paid 6 figures for a player this summer though so I doubt they’ll do it again. 

Unless an English team at a decent level see Shankland as the player he reckons he is then he might be without a club for a while next summer. That kind of attitude puts me in mind of Craig Sibbald who fucked Falkirk about all last summer, stayed and then signed for Livingston this summer after it became clear the interest wasn’t there. 

Shankland has a great attitude and he's far more than his goals.

You're right, Real Madrid are simply biding their time for their Shankland bid.

Whats gone before in football is absolutely f**k all to do with what will happen, and if Shankland thinks he's worth £5m then he definitely  is.

ETA - for the Ayr fan, not you Ali!

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

Shankland has a great attitude and he's far more than his goals.

St Mirren and Morton fans used to talk about how he didn’t try a leg and was fat as f**k. He’s maybe had a Stephen Dobbie style boot up the arse after dropping down the leagues but the body of evidence doesn’t suggest a club in our top flight should be paying 6 figure sums for him at this stage. 

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

You're right, Real Madrid are simply biding their time for their Shankland bid.

Whats gone before in football is absolutely f**k all to do with what will happen, and if Shankland thinks he's worth £5m then he definitely  is.

ETA - for the Ayr fan, not you Ali!

Shankland doesn't think anything of the kind, he thinks he score at a higher level, I couldn't agree more with him.

1 minute ago, ali_91 said:

I think we look quite good for strikers at the moment. Hendry looks promising, Kane is a year older than Shankland and could be doing with more game time, McMillan a different option. And obviously Tony Watt. I’d rather spend any potential transfer fee on a contract extension for him. Shankland is totally unproven and would be a gamble that we don’t really need to take. 

Probably true. Keeping Watt for a couple of season on current form would be an amazing bit of business.

I think of the others, Hendry could well be the one to step up to the plate. He looks to have that energy, hunger and swagger that May had and Watt is currently displaying. How good a spring has Hendry got to win headers by the way?!

7 minutes ago, Kyle said:

St Mirren and Morton fans used to talk about how he didn’t try a leg and was fat as f**k. He’s maybe had a Stephen Dobbie style boot up the arse after dropping down the leagues but the body of evidence doesn’t suggest a club in our top flight should be paying 6 figure sums for him at this stage. 

He most certainly has, I'm just glad Morton took him when they did or I might have been watching that Lawrence Shankland in an Ayr strip, them's the breaks.

Archived