St Johnstone vs. Dees, Saturday 25th August.

That was one of the most subdued away crowds I've ever been in. There's no excitement or belief for the fans right now and the players don't look like they've got any belief in us as a team either. 

That second half performance was horrendous. Teams know we'll create nothing and are happy to let us have the ball because nothing will ever come of it. There was a point when we had possession and literally every single player was towards the right of the pitch, with no-one smart enough to run to the left in acres of space and start a break. 

Appalling and we're in serious danger if nothing changes 

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was one of the most subdued away crowds I've ever been in. There's no excitement or belief for the fans right now and the players don't look like they've got any belief in us as a team either. 

That second half performance was horrendous. Teams know we'll create nothing and are happy to let us have the ball because nothing will ever come of it. There was a point when we had possession and literally every single player was towards the right of the pitch, with no-one smart enough to run to the left in acres of space and start a break. 

Appalling and we're in serious danger if nothing changes 

Nothing will change, the board will continue to plod along as if all is rosey in the garden when in fact the garden is full of shit.

Dundee’s new signings are a bit of a mixed bag. Mandianga was your best player, didn’t lose the ball once. Elton looked handy as well and at least had the thought to shoot. Mendy is awful, Ralph has pace but gets caught time and time again and goes down to ground too soon. Nabi looks to have all the technique in the world, but no positional sense or real game intelligence. Oh and finally the Finnish striker didn’t get a sniff all game, reminded me of Leith-Smith, but less end product.

As for saints, feared the worst when Murray went off. We also didn’t use McMillan correctly, but for the most part he did a decent job of stopping Kamara moving forward with ease. Watt was excellent and Callum Hendry has a level of swagger to his game which will help him greatly. Alston was good in the middle for once and it’s refreshing to see Wright put the youngsters on. Don’t know where that leaves Scougall and Spoony right enough. Kennedy was wasteful today, but worked hard and is getting better all the time. Wright was a little quieter, but I expect that of wingers occasionally. Kerr was winning everything and Shaughnessy was never overly worried, but needs to work on his passing. The full backs were industrious as well.

So overall a great win, excellent to have the first one on the board. Dundee are in for a rough season, it’s telling they looked more threatening when Moussa came on.

34 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

We’re a better side with Moussa in the team. People who can’t see that are idiots.

If genuinely true that statement says everything you need to know about McCann’s poor recruitment, poor coaching skills and lack of tactical ability.

3 minutes ago, Center half said:

Even more baffling that someone allegedly offered £2M for him! Even more baffling Dundee FC turned it down!

It's easy to turn down money when the player has no intention of leaving for the club offering it.

1 hour ago, RossDee01 said:

We’re a better side with Moussa in the team. People who can’t see that are idiots.

We're better with a donkey that can't score? I think I would've scored more goals from open play v Premier League opposition and I'm in my 50's. Our issue is that we have a manager who can't figure out how to create decent chances- overall the squad is good enough.  I like McCann and a lot of what he has tried to build but enough is enough - he has tried, he has failed to make it work. We, with our budget,should be 6th/ 7th  especially as he has had the time to  make his mark.  The idiots are those that believe that McCann can turn this around when he resorts to the likes of Moussa

2 minutes ago, DieDee said:

We're better with a donkey that can't score? I think I would've scored more goals from open play v Premier League opposition and I'm in my 50's. Our issue is that we have a manager who can't figure out how to create decent chances- overall the squad is good enough.  I like McCann and a lot of what he has tried to build but enough is enough - he has tried, he has failed to make it work. We, with our budget,should be 6th/ 7th  especially as he has had the time to  make his mark.  The idiots are those that believe that McCann can turn this around when he resorts to the likes of Moussa

Moussa is a truly terrible player, but sadly we are a better side with him in. The whole balance of the team is wrong regardless of what McCann does, but the balance is slightly better with the old grinning twat up front.

50 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

t's easy to turn down money when the player has no intention of leaving for the club offering it.

certainly a good point Ludo, I suppose we were in the same position with Danny Griffin  when he refused to go for £1M ! 

I thought Saints were ok with the ball and dreadful without it in the first half. At one point Dundee moved the ball across four players in midfield in too much space. That they ran out of ideas further forward was good for us.
The stats were identical at half time for shots, corners, etc., but Dundee had possession of 61-39. Shows that we did more with the possession we had.
The second half was a different game and our play without the ball was much improved.

Think the point from @andrewh is pertinent; Dundee dominated possession in the first half but had no more to show for it than Saints with less than 40% of the ball. If you are going to build a team that looks to control possession then it needs to bring some sort of advantage, especially when, again as pointed out, the opposition are getting dragged about a bit. You can see the type of midfielder than McCann likes and technically their players looked way ahead of our current central options but when you don't have the width, one of them at least needs to be able to pick a key pass. Kamara, Madianga and McGowan maybe didn't give the ball away but they didnt hurt Saints either.

Still think there is room for improvement with Saints and we need to try and try and address giving up 60% possession at home, it was an issue last season too. Very good finish by Watt and Kennedy has that ability that Swanson did of getting himself on the ball. Centre backs looked solid, the goalkeeper composed but a special mention to Liam Craig, who has stepped up when it's been required in the past few weeks.

A win next week would take some pressure off before a tough run of games.

Thought Jason Kerr’s performance was very assured again yesterday. Delighted to see another young player stepping up to the mark.

Fucking love Tony Watt though. Keep him fit and focussed and he could be the difference between scrambling about the bottom and challenging for top six.

Saw someone, possibly Aitchy, say this on Twitter-but we’ve already had far more entertainment from Saints in the two home league games this term than in the entire last six months of last season.

Archived