Bullied into boozing

ICTChris

throbber, the thread.

I was never bullied into drinking but I do blame society at large for normalising and even glamourising alcohol consumption right in the face of young people. Maybe it’s just the frequencies I was wired in to but I always felt under pressure to be out drinking at weekends otherwise I wasn’t properly enjoying my youth.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Again, makes little sense to me. If you're a non-drinker and you're heading to a nightclub full in the knowledge that being on the dancefloor without a drink will make you anxious then I have to question what you're doing there. If you're a drinker standing on the dancefloor feeling vulnerable then going to the bar and getting a drink solves your problem.

To be honest, if you don't drink but most (or all) of your friends do then you have to put up with going to places like pubs and clubs or you won't be going out at all.

5 hours ago, ICTChris said:

New research shows that 8 out of 10 Scots have been "bullied into boozing" by their friends.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/3059091/alcohol-scotland-pressure-to-drink/

Some statistics from this article

- Most common bullying tactic is to say "Go on, just have the one"

- 60% of people gave in and drank to avoid "looking boring"

- In the North East 97% of adults had experienced pressure to drink alcohol.

- 33% of Scotsmen feel "vulnerable" on the dancefloor without drinking

Have any P&Bers ever been bullied into drinking alcohol?

Have any P&Bers ever bullied someone into drinking alcohol?

Have any P&Bers ever felt vulnerable on the dancefloor?

Do any P&Bers fancy going out for a pint?  Just the one?  Don't be boring.

I think the answer to all of these would be yes for majority of posters.  When I tell people I don't drink very often the high-pitched responses of "whaaaaaaaaaat" make you quickly realise that these sad weirdos need alcohol to get through life.

Not me, just the weed for me.

I've never tried to persuade anyone to have a drink, especially when it's my round, and on the rare occasion I've said no, there hasn't been any pressure to change my mind.  Being mean with mean friends is the healthy way to be.

4 hours ago, mizfit said:

I’ve got one pal who I’m concerned has a drink problem.

At least 5 times a week I’ll get a message and an offer of a drink at his.

I don’t mind going in to see him, but he’ll sink 4 cans in the time it’ll take you to do one, then pressure you into staying if you make excuses.

You're being groomed.

I’ve had a drinking problem and kinda had to stop a couple of years back. I’ve never felt pressured into having a drink since (mind you I’ve also not been back to Scotland in all that time either)

There is a worrying drink culture here, where a silly number of people feel the need to drink to have fun, but "bullied into drinking" is ott. I don't know anyone who would think difrerent of someone who doesn't partake in a swally. To me it seems like people making excuses for getting drunk. I did drink heavily in the past but got bored of it, and probably drink once a month now, but still visit 2 "jakey" pals and they have no issue in it. The drinking to lose your inhibitions on the dancfloor I can understand to an extent, but just remember 99% of those in the club will be pished or tuned to the moon so won't remeber you trying to floss the night before.

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I've never tried to persuade anyone to have a drink, especially when it's my round, and on the rare occasion I've said no, there hasn't been any pressure to change my mind.  Being mean with mean friends is the healthy way to be.

:lol:

16 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Have any P&Bers ever been bullied into drinking alcohol?

Have any P&Bers ever bullied someone into drinking alcohol?

Have any P&Bers ever felt vulnerable on the dancefloor?

Do any P&Bers fancy going out for a pint?  Just the one?  Don't be boring.

Yes.

Yes.

Link

You buying?

I knew a couple of people like that when I was younger- they pretty much drank every night of the week and almost certainly had some kind of problem with it.  I think having everybody around them drinking as well normalised their own behaviour in their own minds, so they were always hyper-keen for anyone in their company to be on the scoop as well.

"You no' drinkin'?"

"It's Tuesday, man..."

"Ah, come ONNNN....."

I'm with the punters on here that calling it "bullying" is a lot of shite though. It's social pressure, no more, no less.

"Bullying" would be holding somebody down, holding their nose and pouring Dragon Soop down their throat.

7 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

I knew a couple of people like that when I was younger- they pretty much drank every night of the week and almost certainly had some kind of problem with it.  I think having everybody around them drinking as well normalised their own behaviour in their own minds, so they were always hyper-keen for anyone in their company to be on the scoop as well.

"You no' drinkin'?"

"It's Tuesday, man..."

"Ah, come ONNNN....."

I'm with the punters on here that calling it "bullying" is a lot of shite though. It's social pressure, no more, no less.

"Bullying" would be holding somebody down, holding their nose and pouring Dragon Soop down their throat.

I regularly do this to people, but I wouldn't call it 'bullying'. 

Archived