Dortmund

Loki

I was fancying looking at getting a trip in March to a Dortmund game.  Just had a scan through the flights and it seems direct ones leave with Easy Jet but the flight from Inverness wouldn't get in time.  Has anyone does this before and what flights did you use?  Would it be easier flying in somewhere else and getting the train across?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

9 hours ago, Neilly said:

When I went we based ourselves in Dusseldorf. I think the train was about an hour or so from there to Dortmund and it was free with your match ticket.

Dusseldorf is a far better place to base yourself.Dortmund is a bit meh whilst Dusseldorf has the excellent old town

9 hours ago, Loki said:

I was fancying looking at getting a trip in March to a Dortmund game.  Just had a scan through the flights and it seems direct ones leave with Easy Jet but the flight from Inverness wouldn't get in time.  Has anyone does this before and what flights did you use?  Would it be easier flying in somewhere else and getting the train across?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do Easyjet fly direct from Inverness to Germany?

3 hours ago, bendan said:

Do Easyjet fly direct from Inverness to Germany?

No, he was talking about connecting with a flight from London probably. There are direct flights with KLM to Amsterdam.

Went to the Scotland game there in 2014, flew Glasgow to Amsterdam then caught train. Only one change at Dutch, German border. Couple of bits of advice, don't go to a Dortmund v Shalke game. They hate each other and city shuts down. Also, avoid the main square for pints... Very expensive. There are a few cracking Dortmund supporters bars few mins of square; great atmosphere, memorabilia and cheap pintage

I think the train from Amsterdam requires a change at Duisberg. Haven't been but from a quick google it looks ok. "Duisburg is a city in western Germany, at the junction of the Rhine and Ruhr rivers. It's known for its large harbor and the Innenhafen (Inner Harbour), a waterfront dining and nightlife district."

I think the train from Amsterdam requires a change at Duisberg. Haven't been but from a quick google it looks ok. "Duisburg is a city in western Germany, at the junction of the Rhine and Ruhr rivers. It's known for its large harbor and the Innenhafen (Inner Harbour), a waterfront dining and nightlife district."
We went to a Duisburg game when over for the Scotland game. Some decent pubs across from the train station if you find yourself spending any length of time there

Thanks for all the help.  I will use the Dusseldorf suggestion as you can fly direct from Glasgow in the afternoon.  Flights and hotel are cheaper than I expected currently, and then it will be just trying closer to the time to get match tickets.

As has been mentioned by others, good idea to base yourself in Düsseldorf. Great nightlife whilst Dortmund is more of an industrial/business type city. Dortmund is only a 40 minute train journey away and rail travel is free with a match ticket. We had match tickets in the standing section which were €16 a skull, so about £12/13 all in for the game and travel. Also worth noting that Dortmund have a massive club shop next to the stadium that’s well worth a look. They also operate a cashless system for the kiosks in the stadium, which makes purchasing food and beer (which is absolutely fucking tremendous) much quicker. When you get a into the stadium there’ll be folk standing with a wee machine and cards. Just give them the amount you want put on the card and head to the kiosks. Best to be lenient with how much you put on the card though, I was swaying by half time! [emoji4]

As has been mentioned by others, good idea to base yourself in Düsseldorf. Great nightlife whilst Dortmund is more of an industrial/business type city. Dortmund is only a 40 minute train journey away and rail travel is free with a match ticket. We had match tickets in the standing section which were €16 a skull, so about £12/13 all in for the game and travel. Also worth noting that Dortmund have a massive club shop next to the stadium that’s well worth a look. They also operate a cashless system for the kiosks in the stadium, which makes purchasing food and beer (which is absolutely fucking tremendous) much quicker. When you get a into the stadium there’ll be folk standing with a wee machine and cards. Just give them the amount you want put on the card and head to the kiosks. Best to be lenient with how much you put on the card though, I was swaying by half time! [emoji4]

Didn't think they sold alcohol in stadium. When I was at the Scotland match there it was only non alcoholic beer they sold. Obviously avoided.

Didn't think they sold alcohol in stadium. When I was at the Scotland match there it was only non alcoholic beer they sold. Obviously avoided.

Dunno if that was a separate rule for international matches or something then, but it’s definitely not the case at Bundesliga matches. I’ve been to matches at both Dortmund and at the Allianz and proper alcoholic beer was readily available at both.

Alcohol is readily available in German matches, like most other European countries.

15 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
43 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

As has been mentioned by others, good idea to base yourself in Düsseldorf. Great nightlife whilst Dortmund is more of an industrial/business type city. Dortmund is only a 40 minute train journey away and rail travel is free with a match ticket. We had match tickets in the standing section which were €16 a skull, so about £12/13 all in for the game and travel. Also worth noting that Dortmund have a massive club shop next to the stadium that’s well worth a look. They also operate a cashless system for the kiosks in the stadium, which makes purchasing food and beer (which is absolutely fucking tremendous) much quicker. When you get a into the stadium there’ll be folk standing with a wee machine and cards. Just give them the amount you want put on the card and head to the kiosks. Best to be lenient with how much you put on the card though, I was swaying by half time! emoji4.png

Internationals as well as CL/EL games it's alcohol free, otherwise regular full strength. In some BL stadiums, the away end is alcohol-free / low-strength.

Archived