Dumbarton -vs- Greenock Morton

Jan Vojáček

Playing a stack of youth jobbers in this or any other competition is a disgrace; we have no game on Saturday and so had no excuse for 'resting' our entire first team. Rotating the actual first team squad is fine but it wasn't scheduled as a gubbins Colts match and that's clearly not what those in The Famous' fanbase who traveled wanted to see.

The League Cup exit was down to a collective failure by the club to gets its finger out of its arse in time for the new season; this exit is a black mark on McKinnon's copy book. Even if he doesn't think the cup is in any way important, it is absolutely going to cost him goodwill in the same way that Duffy's miserable failure last season did. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of the team Morton put out I was delighted with how we played in that first half. A flat 442 seemed to suit everyone, nobody out of position aside from Perry and you could argue Thomson but the latter especially did well tonight. We moved the ball quickly and players were looking for the ball, movement from all front players too, absolutely night and day from Saturday.

Aitken has a headache head of Saturday now. Paton and Bobby Barr were excellent wide, Barr especially had the full back on toast every time. Hutton and Carswell actually worked well as midfield two as well, something we've all dreaded, but maybe it does just need the right attitude from both players and plenty movement round about them? Thommo was good but he's turning into the utility man, shunted around where needed, so its difficult to see where he comes into contention for a starting spot. For me though, Iain Russell deserves a start on Saturday next to Gallagher up front. He was buzzing around tonight, winning fouls and was confident enough to turn and take players on, finished the goal well and looked to be absolutely delighted with it. We all said he looks fit ejough this year, if he finds confidence then just maybe he could be a very important player.

All in I'm delighted with that reaction from the squad, need to approach Saturday with the same attitude and intensity though or all the positive things we're feeling will be lost (again). Certainly gives me a bit more hope going forward though.

That was an enjoyable game.

We didnt play great football but the performance was night and day compared to Saturday.  The Morton fans will say that it was a team of their back-ups and bit part players. That doesnt mean that there wasnt some guys on show who would be starters for a League One side.

The big difference tonight was the shape and the application. We were noticeably worse in the 2nd half when Barr went off and we had to put Ryan Thomson to right back. In the first half he was closing people down higher up the pitch when we didnt have the ball and always offering himself as an option when we did. I thought Hutton and Carswell looked far better tonight because they weren't both sitting deep. If those 2 are playing as our 2 central midfielders then with one sitting deep, the other should have a bit more license to push forward and close down higher up the park. To actually go to the man in possession rather than sitting and inviting them to run onto us. One sits, one goes. They can both do that and can take it in turns depending on what side of the park the threat is coming from.  Beany was a big surprise too - his movement alone is a handful for opponents and he looked far fitter and sharper than the end of last season. Deserved his goal too.

I expect Stevie to make changes on Saturday but I'll feel a bit sorry for anybody who ends up missing out from that starting 11 tonight. I certainly wouldn't be rushing Forbes or Loy into the starting 11 right now.  I know they're our big names in this squad but they can't assume that they'll get a start without earning it and tonight I thought Beany and Thomson looked like they wanted to earn a start on Saturday.

A good game and potentially something positive for the manager to ponder between now and the weekend.

Those officials though. f**k me. 

That was enjoyable tonight. Nice to beat a Ray MacKinnon side. Nice to see that perhaps Hutton and Carswell can play together as long as the formation is correct and the players in other areas of the park do their job properly. Nice to see Bobby Barr run a mock. Nice to see Beany looking more like the Beany of old as well.

Thomson was impressive both up front and at full back. I would be happy to start the same starting 11 as tonight on Saturday. Loy didn't seem to offer too much tonight though and the changes overall seemed to weaken us. But I won't worry too much as Morton strengthened with their changes and are FT plus we were starting to tire a little bit.

2 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Fancy swapping Thomson for Rory Loy?

That sounds like the best swap deal since we got Ross Forbes for Andy Barrowman.

In all seriousness though that was the first game Thomson's had in months, I'd read nothing into his performance tonight as bad as it was.

8 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Fancy swapping Thomson for Rory Loy?

I'll take the gamble, aye.

4 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

That sounds like the best swap deal since we got Ross Forbes for Andy Barrowman.

In all seriousness though that was the first game Thomson's had in months, I'd read nothing into his performance tonight as bad as it was.

Same performances he was putting in last season. Absolutely brutal.

10 minutes ago, Deego said:

Narrow victory against a bunch of wee guys and Robert Thomson. Don't get too excited about your performance.

You would have a point, but I'm afraid you lost to a Dumbarton side with 13 fit outfield players (probably 12 actually given Mango was subbed at half-time) one of whom was Ross Perry.

Just now, Deego said:

I'll take the gamble, aye.

Same performances he was putting in last season. Absolutely brutal.

He started really slowly with us. He went on to have a fantastic season and his performance in our 4-0 hammering of Raith is one of the best individual Sons player performances I've seen in years. I think he's a guy who needs to be playing regularly. If he's playing regularly and playing with confidence then he's a very decent forward.

3 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

You would have a point, but I'm afraid you lost to a Dumbarton side with 13 fit outfield players (probably 12 actually given Mango was subbed at half-time) one of whom was Ross Perry.

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

Archived