Strikers coming through

5 hours ago, Binos said:

It's not getting addressed this season It's getting worse since we've left the eu

Our non old firm,  as I keep saying,  clubs will get no better and our national team will suffer 

You are making explicitly counter factual statements.

I am pointing out why you are wrong, with clear evidence, and you're ignoring it. So I'll stop bothering.

Your ceaseless negativity of any thread about every Scottish player will continue, as we both know.

4 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Ok, forget one guy with paragraphs nobody reads on the sky being red.

What do you think would be a solution, higher specified number of home grown players per match squad?

You can fool some of the people, all of the time. 

19 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Up to two sentences - congrats. I've explained in detail what I think and why, if people want to do the same then fine we can have a discussion.

Doesn't work if all the effort is on one side.

Two sentences of sense is worth more than endless paragraphs of drivel.

23 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ones I can think of that were "decent" are...

We got over £1m for Ali McCann last season, the largest fee we've received up front since the 90s

Did Hibs not get £3m+ for Boyle?

If you want to claim theyre Scots, then Dykes moving for £2m counts as a non-Scot

Sam Cosgrove netted Aberdeen £2m

Motherwell get over £1m for Kipre

Genuine question ! How is Ali McCann doing ?

Just now, Gordopolis said:

What an absolute f*cking walloper that man is.

Im not sure either way on that, I dont know the ins and outs of it tbh. But were the sfa not a big part of him getting jailed for not alot. I dont mean its acceptable, but we've seen alot worse on football pitches most seasons, without anyone getting locked up.

Its just a shame, he could have been the difference for us.

On 07/02/2023 at 03:51, Gordon EF said:

Captain strawman to the resuce again. Nobody thinks that a nation would become a world football superpower just by having a domestic league full of players of eligble for their own national team. The thesis, whether you agree with it or not, would be more like, increased levels of players not eligble for their natonional teams stunts home grown development and makes a national team worse than they would otherwise be.

Of course, it's a much more complex situation than reducing it down to banal "theses".

On 07/02/2023 at 15:57, Gordon EF said:

You have absolutely no idea how to conduct a statistical analysis of this.

On 08/02/2023 at 02:44, Gordon EF said:

Well your first step was completely making up what people were actually saying. So forgive us if we're not convinced.

4 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Two sentences of sense is worth more than endless paragraphs of drivel.

Have you ever considered expressing what you think, and why?

I went into detail, backed up by evidence as to what my position is.

The above is your contribution to this thread and it's just attacks on my posts (and increasingly lazy attacks really).

So I won't bother responding again, until you have something to actually say. 

Just now, Satoshi said:

Have you ever considered expressing what you think, and why?

I went into detail, backed up by evidence as to what my position is.

The above is your contribution to this thread and it's just attacks on my posts (and increasingly lazy attacks really).

So I won't bother responding again, until you have something to actually say. 

I told you what I think in the first post. You misunderstood the point that was being made. Nobody is claiming that there's a direct correlation between % of domestic players in a top league and the standard of players produced by that country. It's a ridiculous point to try and make and this isn't what anyone was claiming. But instead of engaging with or understanding what was actually being said, you've made up a strawman argument and put a huge amount of effort arguing against it and acted smug whilst doing it.

My own opinion is that the whole "it's the foreigners what done it" is a lazy argument. It's attractive because it's easy to say 'we were good in the 70s and 80s and we've been shit in the 00s and 10s and what's changed is all the foreigners".

I didn't misunderstand the point, I was incredibly clear on what I thought and why. It was a direct response to posts made earlier in the thread. And if you told me what you thought in your first post, what was the point of subsequent posts?

But glad you agree that it's a lazy argument - for me, the idea of more foreigners in a league = worse national team is provable nonsense. Something about Scotland being able to sell non domestic players for high transfer fees and how this affects the national team seems even more tenuous.

Maybe next time attack the ideas not the poster? Might save us all some time.

Edited by Satoshi

12 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Im not sure either way on that, I dont know the ins and outs of it tbh. But were the sfa not a big part of him getting jailed for not alot. I dont mean its acceptable, but we've seen alot worse on football pitches most seasons, without anyone getting locked up.

I wasn't commenting on the sfa/jail thing (which I have a bit of sympathy with DF over). It's the other stuff I've read about his attitude to Scotland and his billy big baws attitude that left me cold. Pat Nevin's book gives a few revealing insights.

And "could have had 200 caps" shows he's not the sharpest tool either, given nobody AFAIK, has ever reached that level, and he was hardly of such great ability that - even if he hadn't refused selection - he would have been a Ronaldo-like perma-starter.

Edited by Gordopolis

Ethan Laidlaw was absolutely superb for Hibs U19s against Dortmund on Tuesday night, looks like a proper player, lots of pace but quite a tall, gangly player, hard to compare him to anyone really.

Out of contract in the summer and Mark Atkinson at the Scotsman posted in an article that Hibs are likely to lose him which is horrendous news.

Aston Villa and Liverpool both been rumoured to be after him.

20 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Hmm, he had about 6 convictions for assault when out in stirlin ya c**t on the ran dan

Which might have had more of a bearing on his jail time than the sfa 

Including one where he got into an altercation with a guy on crutches and took them off him and was battering him with them 

But he likes to pretend it was other people's fault 

20 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

The first incident led to a £100 fine for headbutting a policeman and a £25 fine for a Breach of the Peace,[63] while the second resulted in a £200 fine for punching and kicking a supporter on crutches. He was sentenced to a year's probation for the third offence.[64] For the 1994 on-the-field headbutting, he received and served a three-month jail term for assault

19 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

I told you what I think in the first post. You misunderstood the point that was being made. Nobody is claiming that there's a direct correlation between % of domestic players in a top league and the standard of players produced by that country. It's a ridiculous point to try and make and this isn't what anyone was claiming. But instead of engaging with or understanding what was actually being said, you've made up a strawman argument and put a huge amount of effort arguing against it and acted smug whilst doing it.

My own opinion is that the whole "it's the foreigners what done it" is a lazy argument. It's attractive because it's easy to say 'we were good in the 70s and 80s and we've been shit in the 00s and 10s and what's changed is all the foreigners".

What's your explanation 

Satoshis is, its all rosy in the garden and everythings great, one qualification in a quarter of a century 

But what's yours?

8 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

. It's the other stuff I've read about his attitude to Scotland and his billy big baws attitude that left me cold. Pat Nevin's book gives a few revealing insights.

And "could have had 200 caps" shows he's not the sharpest tool either, given nobody AFAIK, has ever reached that level, and he was hardly of such great ability that - even if he hadn't refused selection - he would have been a Ronaldo-like perma-starter.

FTFY

9 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

It's the other stuff I've read about his attitude to Scotland and his billy big baws attitude that left me cold. Pat Nevin's book gives a few revealing insights.

and he was hardly of such great ability that - even if he hadn't refused selection - he would have been a Ronaldo-like perma-starter.

First part, I wasn't aware of that tbh. Is it a book worth reading?

Second part I think he probably would have been for us tbh. He doesn't have to be Ronaldo to achieve that.

I remember him when he first broke through hitting the bar with an overhead kick v Germany in a friendly and he was unplayable. We were wearing one of the crazy 90s strips, maybe the salmon pink one, and the hype was real. He came back and  played in the replayed 1997 Estonia game in Manaco and we just lazily launched 40 yard balls in his general direction as I recall. Ian Ferguson also got a recall in that game and fell out with the fans at full time. Definitely a squandered international career though. Gallagher was on a hot streak but we had John McGinley, Gordon Durie and Darren Jackson who were workmanlike at best. Imagine a parallel world where DF plays v Brazil, not DJ.