Strikers coming through

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

But this has just come from nowhere. An Aussie who has done f*ck all of note in his career, coming up for 24, scores a couple of goals in the SPFL Prem and we're suddenly talking about trying to persuade him to play for Scotland? That's new levels of desperation.

Fair enough if he finishes the season with a good goal haul and consistently good performances*. Not after a couple of games and goals though. We went down that road with Marc McNumpty.

*Same goes for the likes of Hornby (I assume you were referring to the likes of him).

It’s nothing to do with goals, it’s because he’s left the four Old Firm centre halves blowing out their arses and practically in tears after 180 minutes of football. 

He’ll play for Australia of course. 

Pinching myself here to check in awake: Radio Clyde pundits circle-w*nking that Lindon Dykes is the goalscoring solution for Scotland. Eh?

It’s unreal. Last week it was Ross Stewart, this week Lyndon Dykes. Then again, Declan Gallagher has just been called up - visas permitting.

Another couple of goals for Hornby in Belgium. Not saying he should be getting called up yet, but it's always good to see a prospect (particularly one who's actually been involved with the under 21's) start scoring professionally.

2 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Another couple of goals for Hornby in Belgium. Not saying he should be getting called up yet, but it's always good to see a prospect (particularly one who's actually been involved with the under 21's) start scoring professionally.

Don’t be scared. Say he should be called up. He’s miles better than our other strikers. 

If someone had told me at any point during their time together at Queens that of the Dobbie and Dykes partnership, the one most likely to be seriously touted for a call up for Scotland would be Dykes, I’d have thought they’d lost their minds.

It’s fair to say, Dykes split the Queens support - between those who thought he was absolutely hopeless and those who thought he was limited but effective. I’d have put myself in the former camp much of the time, and firmly in the latter camp towards the end of his time at the club.

In his early days at Queens, it was obvious he had some qualities - strong, pacy, athletic, physical, but he resembled an athlete who had never played football before (I’ve read that he played a number of sports when young, including rugby league) and was learning from scratch. He rarely looked like much of a footballer in his early games for Queens, but he did cause Hibs problems at Easter Road in a Betfred Cup last 16 match in Aug 2016. I remember thinking ‘once he learns how to play football he’ll be a real handful’. A few Hibs-supporting pals were asking who he was as he clearly had potential. He rarely lived up to expectations after that, mainly because he couldn’t hit a barn door with a shovel.

His finishing probably looked worse by comparison with Dobbie’s sublime technique. Where Dobbie often stroked the ball low into the corner with supreme confidence, Dykes tended to blast it straight at the keeper, or wildly over the bar or past the post. He looked almost incapable of scoring a one on one with the keeper for instance. Nonetheless his strength often discomfited opposition defenders, and Dobbie prospered as a consequence. 

To be fair, he improved hugely in his last season at Palmerston. He certainly converted a lot of doubters, including myself, and it didn’t surprise me when he got a move to a higher division. He has all the assets to do well at a higher level, discounting his erratic finishing. It seems he’s pushed on again this season, and is continuing to improve, and most surprisingly has added goals to his game. Dobbie’s tuition is starting to pay off it seems.

It wouldn’t really surprise me if Australia had a look at him, though it would be a remarkable transition from his unconvincing early days at Queens to get to that level, but having seen Fraser Hornby play 3 or 4 times for the Under 21s, and impressed me on each occasion, I know which of them my money would be on for the step up to the Scotland team. Dykes wants to play for Australia anyway, by all accounts.

Good luck to him though. He clearly works hard on his game, has improved season on season, and his career is firmly on an upward trajectory.

On 06/10/2019 at 20:37, Aufc said:

If we are going to start pinning our hopes on diddies from the scottish premier league then we might have as well chuck it

That’s Josh Magennis scored against The Netherlands. Diddies are maybe where it’s at. If we can’t find one passable Scottish forward from the Scottish Premiership it’s fairly shocking.

Saying that, we played a guy from the Scottish Championship last night so colour me shocked..

Whatever happened to Jordan Rhodes? Now he’s gone completely off the boil we should call him up. 

I saw him play once for Scotland v Australia at Easter Road and he scored. That would never do, so he obviously didn’t fit in with our low-scoring, shite-football philosophy.

We haven't a goal scorer of even a semi regular basis since McFadden, and even then he didn't reach 20 goals.

Why have we not had someone bang in 30 goals since Dalglish? He and Denis Law are out joint top scorers.

The top scorers of Macedonia (34), Estonia (38), Finalnd (32), Northern Ireland (36), Wales (32), Cyprus (32), Norway (33), Slovenia (35),  Bosnia and Herzegovina (58), Bulgaria (48) and Malta (41) all eclipse our sad decades old record. Latvia and Armenia are just a single goal behind. Lots of other teams have high 20s.

Whatever happened to Jordan Rhodes? Now he’s gone completely off the boil we should call him up. 

We haven't a goal scorer of even a semi regular basis since McFadden, and even then he didn't reach 20 goals.
Why have we not had someone bang in 30 goals since Dalglish? He and Denis Law are out joint top scorers.

Can’t help but think that over the years we just haven’t played our inform Strikers at the right time. Rhodes, Boyd, Griffiths, Fletcher, Ferguson (there are others) were overlooked for others whilst scoring for fun at club level. Then when given their chance, it was by and large too late.

19 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Can’t help but think that over the years we just haven’t played our inform Strikers at the right time. Rhodes, Boyd, Griffiths, Fletcher, Ferguson (there are others) were overlooked for others whilst scoring for fun at club level. Then when given their chance, it was by and large too late.

Why do you think this is, just bad management? Or influenced by the politics of our old crap backslapping largs mafia sfa types?

I'd venture a bit of both

11 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Genuinely think Callum Paterson might be one of the better options right now.

Definitely 

I really hope that Mikey Johnston comes through and gets a call up by the next Nations League, its these games that we should be trying new players and systems etc. 

Also, what has happened to the Karlan Grant link to being called up, it's gone quiet regarding that? 

46 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Genuinely think Callum Paterson might be one of the better options right now.

Why? Like anyone else up front he'll get almost zero chances. What difference would he have made last night for example? We could have had Miroslav Klose up front last night and it would have made no difference.