Strikers coming through

On 22/08/2018 at 22:05, accies1874 said:

I thought he would've played for Preston. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hahahahahahahaahahaahahaaah

17 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

I'd have preferred to see him at a championship club, but good he's getting first team football. A good player I think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Is the Belgian league far above us in the coefficients?

They're in 8th, we're 10th so not a huge differencehttps://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method5/ccoef2019.html

The way I see it is if a striker scored 20+ goals in the Scottish prem he'd be good for a shot at a Scotland place, so hopefully Hornsby can hit that sort of level in Belgium and come into contention.

Edit: I saw RobbieD's post and checked. Indeed, from a more reliable source we are 19th

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2020

It’s clear we are crying out for a Striker, and Griffiths now seems to have been overtaken by Bayo in the pecking order at Celtic.

The fact that Hornby has now moved to get first team football (at a good level), is pleasing. Now I’m not saying that this should guarantee him an automatic call up and starting place but it has to at least put his name forward for contention.

I've seen a  bit of Fraser Hornby (no S) for the U21's, and to me he seems a better all round prospect than McBurnie.   He has a good touch, a turn of pace, over 6ft and can head the ball. Neither is he stick thin, he can hold his own.  His finish against the Netherlands in Doetinchem last year from 40 yards was sublime.

He has just turned 20, although he will be too old for the next U21 campaign after this one.  However, if him and Gilmour are available for the whole of the U21 campaign then we might have a wee chance of getting to the finals. 

Will be interesting to see how he does in Belgium this season, he is off to a good start.

Edited by Burnie_man

I've seen a  bit of Fraser Hornby (no S) for the U21's, and to me he seems a better all round prospect than McBurnie.   He has a good touch, a turn of pace, over 6ft and can head the ball. Neither is he stick thin, he can hold his own.  His finish against the Netherlands in Doetinchem last year from 40 yards was sublime.
He has just turned 20, although he will be too old for the next U21 campaign after this one.  However, if him and Gilmour are available for the whole of the U21 campaign then we might have a wee chance of getting to the finals. 
Will be interesting to see how he does in Belgium this season, he is off to a good start.

What I’ve seen of Hornby he’s certainly got a decent turn of pace, he just needs first team football. Whether it be on loan in Belgium or maybe English Champ level I’d think it would be enough to get him a callup.

• 2 weeks later...

Starting tonight and scored a decent goal.

If folk are willing to throw their weight behind English or Spanish lower league players or youth teamers at English Premier League clubs who they've never actually seen play, then it's not that ridiculous to also see the same thing happening with players who do well in our own leagues and who they do actually watch occasionally.

But this has just come from nowhere. An Aussie who has done f*ck all of note in his career, coming up for 24, scores a couple of goals in the SPFL Prem and we're suddenly talking about trying to persuade him to play for Scotland? That's new levels of desperation.

Fair enough if he finishes the season with a good goal haul and consistently good performances*. Not after a couple of games and goals though. We went down that road with Marc McNumpty.

*Same goes for the likes of Hornby (I assume you were referring to the likes of him).

He's obviously done enough of note to earn himself a move first to Queen of the South and then to the Premiership with Livingston. And I don't think it would be a case of persuading him to play for Scotland - his parents are both Scottish and for all we know he has always wanted to play for us.

I really like him as a player from what I've seen. He's not Scotland quality right now, but he does have a lot of really positive physical attributes and if he keeps at it then it wouldn't be the worst shout.