Strikers coming through

Reported that wolves are looking to pay 15million to keep McBurnie in the Premier league.
What on earth are they thinking [emoji1787]
Wolves? Blimey.
Probably as a backup, erm, striker?

Edit: "Wolves apparently want McBurnie to come in as cover for Raul Jimenez"

Not a striker 'coming through' but I think Jordan Rhodes has 5 goals in last 6 games.

Given there is definitely a striker position available in the Euro squad, it wouldn't be the most horrific shout. Its likely to be one of Shankland/Nisbet/Paterson/Griffiths  however if Rhodes was to continue to bang in the goals, I wouldn't be adverse to see him included. Very much a form player and when on form, knows where the goal is.

20 minutes ago, DavidMcG said:

Not a striker 'coming through' but I think Jordan Rhodes has 5 goals in last 6 games.

Given there is definitely a striker position available in the Euro squad, it wouldn't be the most horrific shout. Its likely to be one of Shankland/Nisbet/Paterson/Griffiths  however if Rhodes was to continue to bang in the goals, I wouldn't be adverse to see him included. Very much a form player and when on form, knows where the goal is.

Cant believe he's 31 now, doesn't seem that long ago he was coming through as our next big hope of a top striker.

A while ago I’d have been dead against it but with Griffiths all but written off and Dykes looking short of fitness I wouldn’t be against Rhodes making a comeback if he keeps us his scoring form till the end of the season.

Thats been his biggest problem for a number of seasons now I'm afraid. Think he tends to have lots of little purple patches and then gets injured/loses form and not seen for ages.

In fact I think the last season he scored more than 10 goals in a season was 15/16 when Middlesbrough signed him from Blackburn. Got 17 goals that season and hasn't been prolific since. Crazy when you think how many championship goals he was scoring prior to that.

Just now, DavidMcG said:

Thats been his biggest problem for a number of seasons now I'm afraid. Think he tends to have lots of little purple patches and then gets injured/loses form and not seen for ages.

In fact I think the last season he scored more than 10 goals in a season was 15/16 when Middlesbrough signed him from Blackburn. Got 17 goals that season and hasn't been prolific since. Crazy when you think how many championship goals he was scoring prior to that.

He's still had a decent career, scoring well over 200 goals mostly at a decent level. 

I think Messi and Ronaldo warped people's perception of that. 200 goals is 20 per season for ten years. That's a pretty decent return for any striker at any level. 

He hasn't hit double figures for almost five years as you say but probably will this season, at a good level, and finish with about 40 appearances most likely.

We could do a lot worse if there's a couple of injuries. Also if he's playing and scoring next season when October comes round he'd be worth a look. 

Natural goalscorer and they're not to be sniffed at, especially for a team that has always struggled to score goals. I thought he could have been given more of a chance when he was younger too. Decent option to have for one more campaign potentially.

Also if a club like Aberdeen could get him sharp and fit he'd score bucketloads up here. Hibs, Hearts, Dundee Utd should all have a wee eye on his contract situation.

He's still had a decent career, scoring well over 200 goals mostly at a decent level. 
I think Messi and Ronaldo warped people's perception of that. 200 goals is 20 per season for ten years. That's a pretty decent return for any striker at any level. 
He hasn't hit double figures for almost five years as you say but probably will this season, at a good level, and finish with about 40 appearances most likely.
We could do a lot worse if there's a couple of injuries. Also if he's playing and scoring next season when October comes round he'd be worth a look. 
Natural goalscorer and they're not to be sniffed at, especially for a team that has always struggled to score goals. I thought he could have been given more of a chance when he was younger too. Decent option to have for one more campaign potentially.
Also if a club like Aberdeen could get him sharp and fit he'd score bucketloads up here. Hibs, Hearts, Dundee Utd should all have a wee eye on his contract situation.

I read recently that another English Championship club(can’t recall who)were planning to make a move for him in the summer.
Highly unlikely anyone up here outwith the Old Firm could afford his wages.
As much as I was a fan of Strachan, I felt one major mistake he made was to ignore Rhodes, finally gave him a chance against Gibraltar and then criticised his one miss during that game.
Don’t think he’s been in a squad since.

Just now, Rabinho said:

I read recently that another English Championship club(can’t recall who)were planning to make a move for him in the summer.
Highly unlikely anyone up here outwith the Old Firm could afford his wages.
As much as I was a fan of Strachan, I felt one major mistake he made was to ignore Rhodes, finally gave him a chance against Gibraltar and then criticised his one miss during that game.
Don’t think he’s been in a squad since.

Definitely, Strachan was guilty of this a few times. Being overly loyal to what he seen as his players, and reluctant to bow to media or fan pressure to include certain players. Even when to include these players was blindingly obvious.

Its like a sliding doors moment for Rhodes, perhaps an earlier international run and he could have done well and pushed his career on to a higher level.

In defence of Strachan he also got alot of things right, and alot of player picks. Like bringing in Mcginn when he was playing in the championship. A brave and at the time criticised decision, which was ultimately proved a very good spot.

Rhodes would surely be a better bet than McBurnie.

Likelihood hood is that Adams and Dykes are our primary strikers now.

We'll take a couple more to the Euros but outside of injury they'll probably at most just get chucked on when we're chasing a game. Rhodes is as good a bet as anyone else we have in that scenario, if he gets a half chance then he at least knows where the net is.

It's weird to read about Rhodes on here now. He seems so much like yesterday's man, but I agree he's in as decent form as the rest of the shower of Nisbet, Shankland and in better form than Griffiths, Burke and McBurnie.

I just wish we had utilised him more efficiently back in the 2012-16 spell when he was consistently scoring 20-40 goals per season. Not saying he should have been out #1 pick, but he could easily have been our go-to Vs weaker opposition and late sub Vs stronger.

39 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

It's weird to read about Rhodes on here now. He seems so much like yesterday's man, but I agree he's in as decent form as the rest of the shower of Nisbet, Shankland and in better form than Griffiths, Burke and McBurnie.

I just wish we had utilised him more efficiently back in the 2012-16 spell when he was consistently scoring 20-40 goals per season. Not saying he should have been out #1 pick, but he could easily have been our go-to Vs weaker opposition and late sub Vs stronger.

We've a long and proud history of not playing goalscorers, rather building our team around folk who work hard but rarely score (i.e. Kenny Miller).

The prospect of building a team around Che Adams is really a rather odd one.

Boyd, Fletcher, Griffiths, Rhodes etc were all never given a fair crack at international football when they were in their prime.  All subsequently written off because they didn't do enough for the team (the same team that failed to score without them), or neglected due to headstrong or inflexible managers.

Strachan was asked last year if "he would have loved to have Dykes available" to him when he was manager.  His retort was "I did.  I had Chris Martin."

That in a nutshell tells you everything you need to know about Strachan's flaws.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

We've a long and proud history of not playing goalscorers, rather building our team around folk who work hard but rarely score (i.e. Kenny Miller).
The prospect of building a team around Che Adams is really a rather odd one.
Boyd, Fletcher, Griffiths, Rhodes etc were all never given a fair crack at international football when they were in their prime.  All subsequently written off because they didn't do enough for the team (the same team that failed to score without them), or neglected due to headstrong or inflexible managers.
Strachan was asked last year if "he would have loved to have Dykes available" to him when he was manager.  His retort was "I did.  I had Chris Martin."
That in a nutshell tells you everything you need to know about Strachan's flaws.
Yeah I think I posted about that Strachan w**k-ism at the time.

Tbf Fletcher, Griffiths and Boyd all had a hand in messing up their own international careers for a spell, but I agree that a savvier manager would have found a way to keep them onside or admonish them while making it seem like he was supporting them and keep them sweet.

Hope Adams does go on to be a goalscorer for us. We're putting a lot of hope into that goal the other night. It was an impressive move and finish but I hope it's just the start for him.

16 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Rhodes was never seen or trusted by our managers as someone who could play up front on his own, work hard for the team or even defend corners. Rather than change formation to play to his (and other player's strengths), he was often overlooked and ignored when he was firing in the goals - first by Levein and then by Strachan. On those few occasions that Rhodes was selected to start for Scotland, you got the sense that Levein/Strachan felt vindicated when he didn't hit his club form. 

Levein but Strachan in particular, although I have no doubt they wanted to be successful, but only if that meant not being seen to cave into fan/public/media pressure on selecting or playing certain players. Having courage in your own convictions is absolutely fine as long as you underpin that with success which neither manager did. It then becomes pig-headed-ness and Scotland fans seem to have had more than our fair share of that type of manager. 

just 14 caps for someone who in a 6 year period scored over 150 goals in the Championship is shocking, particularly for a team like Scotland. 

13 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Yeah I think I posted about that Strachan w**k-ism at the time.

Tbf Fletcher, Griffiths and Boyd all had a hand in messing up their own international careers for a spell, but I agree that a savvier manager would have found a way to keep them onside or admonish them while making it seem like he was supporting them and keep them sweet.

Hope Adams does go on to be a goalscorer for us. We're putting a lot of hope into that goal the other night. It was an impressive move and finish but I hope it's just the start for him.

I still find Clarke a bit truculent with the media, and is often deliberately difficult with reasonable questions, but nowhere near the level that Strachan or some of his predecessors achieved.

One huge plus point for Clarke is that he's willing to change approaches and adapt.  Adams played 180 minutes across the three matches - something I don't believe previous managers would have done.

I have no problem with managers having 'favourites', as consistency and reliability is hugely important in national teams.  As out of his depth as he was, McLeish was utterly hamstrung by Strachan's failure to blood new players - preferring instead to play the same players, often when they were clearly underperforming, and handing McLeish no centre half options which Clarke has only just resolved.

I can't imagine there are many other teams in Europe of around our size that fail to build their teams around their best assets - usually their best or only goalscorers.  At least Clarke has devised a formation, as problematic as it can be, that seems to get the overall best out of McTominay, Tierney, Robertson, and McGinn (relatively speaking, and subject to form...) 

I've wondered before what our XI would be if Strachan was still in charge. Based on current club form and his decisions with Scotland, I'd guess:

Marshall
Tierney Cooper McKenna Robertson
McGinn McTominay McGregor
Forrest Adams Fraser

Hanley and Armstrong would have probably been there too, and I could imagine there being a Fletcher-like situation with McBurnie.