Strikers coming through

To me, Turnbull, McGinn and Armstrong are probably competing for two places in the squad - the starting and backup positions for the role that McGinn plays in the side.
I can't see Turnbull doing enough to dispatch those two, but if there are injuries then he's in with a shout.
That's about right as I see it too. Hopefully Turnbull will relish the challenge and make a big case for his inclusion, but he'll have to be starting and playing 9/10 every single week for Celtic to dislodge McGinn or Armstrong.

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

If Turnbull must get a midfield squad berth, who is dropping out?

I see a lot of "X and Y have to be in the squad" but not a lot about who has to not be in there.

If all the folk people thought we had to pick were called up then we'd have about a 40 man squad for the Euros.

I'd rather have him the squad than say McLean, I'd also argue that if we have O'Donnell and Palmer in the squad we don't need Patterson (providing we're calling up some strikers) however I'd bring in Fraser for him. 

Also an argument to be made that if McBurnie drops out of contention for Sheffield United then he shouldn't be in the squad at all. 

7 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I'd rather have him the squad than say McLean, I'd also argue that if we have O'Donnell and Palmer in the squad we don't need Patterson (providing we're calling up some strikers) however I'd bring in Fraser for him. 

Also an argument to be made that if McBurnie drops out of contention for Sheffield United then he shouldn't be in the squad at all. 

The normal squad for qualifiers has something like 26/27 players in it, so even if you drop the obvious ones like Considine, Taylor, Paterson and Shankland there's still no space once you add the likes of Fraser and Forrest back in.

Edited by craigkillie

12 hours ago, craigkillie said:

If Turnbull must get a midfield squad berth, who is dropping out?

I see a lot of "X and Y have to be in the squad" but not a lot about who has to not be in there.

If all the folk people thought we had to pick were called up then we'd have about a 40 man squad for the Euros.

McLean is snapped so him probably

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

The normal squad for qualifiers has something like 26/27 players in it, so even if you drop the obvious ones like Considine, Taylor, Paterson and Shankland there's still no space once you add the likes of Fraser and Forrest back in.

Aye, it's a hard one and there will be a few difficult choices for Clarke to make. 

47 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Right come on now lads, craigs made it clear a few times now.

Theres to be no more discussing the scotland squad on the scotland threads. 

1 hour ago, Binos said:

McLean is snapped so him probably

McLean ended up only being out for about 3 weeks - he's back in the Norwich team already.

2 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Right come on now lads, craigs made it clear a few times now.

Theres to be no more discussing the scotland squad on the scotland threads. 

I'm specifically asking people to discuss the Scotland squad, specifically to work out which players need to drop out as well as which ones would come in. It's easy to just list names who should be in there, that's probably roughly your level of discourse but isn't really interesting for the rest of us. Much more interesting is to discuss which players need to make way so that we can end up with the 23 we need.

Just now, craigkillie said:

the 23 we need.

Has it been confirmed anywhere that it will be 23 man squads for this tournament?

Genuine question btw, its not something I keep an eye on. Feel like all the mewling from big clubs about needing 5 subs would encourage UEFA to put squad sizes up, and allow more subs.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Has it been confirmed anywhere that it will be 23 man squads for this tournament?

Genuine question btw, its not something I keep an eye on. Feel like all the mewling from big clubs about needing 5 subs would encourage UEFA to put squad sizes up, and allow more subs.

It hasn't been confirmed, but it's sensible to assume the status quo until we hear otherwise. Even in the big UEFA tournaments you're only allowed a 22-man squad for each match.

Just now, craigkillie said:

McLean ended up only being out for about 3 weeks - he's back in the Norwich team already.

I'm specifically asking people to discuss the Scotland squad, specifically to work out which players need to drop out as well as which ones would come in. It's easy to just list names who should be in there, that's probably roughly your level of discourse but isn't really interesting for the rest of us. Much more interesting is to discuss which players need to make way so that we can end up with the 23 we need.

Do you post on behalf of a consortium?

The euros aren't for quite a while. If people want to come on and suggest a player, for me thats fine. I dont see why they have to go through the complete squad at this stage. Just to suggest a particular player is doing well.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

I'm interested in hearing who could/should come in and why. Equally, we will have to tackle the "who drops out to make space?" question at some point too.
There's no reason why we have to do this transactionally, tho I'd agree that it adds something to the debate to have an "x for y" suggestion.

IMO:
Turnbull *could* come in for McGinn or McLean (but won't)
Nisbett *could* come in for Shankland (and might, given the way this season is panning out)
Forrest almost certainly will come in. Not a like for like change in any way, but Taylor may well be the one to make space for him (we have Tierney and Robbo anyway, and it would slightly balance the fact McTominay is also a defender for us)
Apart from that, I can only really see Burke and Patterson dropping out to take us down to 23.

If we are allowed more to cope with covid, then it would be a nice opportunity to keep or add a few to the pack.
If it was, say, 25, I'd keep Burke and add Turnbull.

41 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I'm interested in hearing who could/should come in and why. Equally, we will have to tackle the "who drops out to make space?" question at some point too.
There's no reason why we have to do this transactionally, tho I'd agree that it adds something to the debate to have an "x for y" suggestion.

IMO:
Turnbull *could* come in for McGinn or McLean (but won't)
Nisbett *could* come in for Shankland (and might, given the way this season is panning out)
Forrest almost certainly will come in. Not a like for like change in any way, but Taylor may well be the one to make space for him (we have Tierney and Robbo anyway, and it would slightly balance the fact McTominay is also a defender for us)
Apart from that, I can only really see Burke and Patterson dropping out to take us down to 23.

If we are allowed more to cope with covid, then it would be a nice opportunity to keep or add a few to the pack.
If it was, say, 25, I'd keep Burke and add Turnbull.

What about gilmour? You don't think he will make it in?

What about gilmour? You don't think he will make it in?
Remembered Gilmour about ten minutes into my turkey and sprout (and vino) fest. Yeah, he's probably ahead of Turnbull in terms of inclusion - a better all-round player even if in a slightly different position. Him instead of Jack maybe? That's a difficult call, as Jack did the business in the playoffs. It's an even tighter dilemma - which is actually a really encouraging thing I suppose.
Anyway, back to the food and bevvy for me (and then I'll remember some other quality player I've forgotten to mention).

P.S. I know we're not generally nice to each other here, but Merry Xmas, All. Hope everyone's having a good day [emoji319]

8 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Remembered Gilmour about ten minutes into my turkey and sprout (and vino) fest. Yeah, he's probably ahead of Turnbull in terms of inclusion - a better all-round player even if in a slightly different position. Him instead of Jack maybe? That's a difficult call, as Jack did the business in the playoffs. It's an even tighter dilemma - which is actually a really encouraging thing I suppose.
Anyway, back to the food and bevvy for me (and then I'll remember some other quality player I've forgotten to mention).

P.S. I know we're not generally nice to each other here, but Merry Xmas, All. Hope everyone's having a good day emoji319.png

Christ, don't suggest that. I suggested that before  and  almost got fucking lynched for it. But yeah, makes sense to me.