Strikers coming through

28 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I also heard once years ago, from an impeccable source.  George Burley, if you'll remember he left Southampton very suddenly right before the start of a season, when he'd been doing okay.

Well the story I heard was it was a pre-season game, and he went missing before kick-off.  Search party sent for him, he was found, and they were away from home it wasn't their ground, he was found passed out drunk on a table in the boardroom.  Sacked on the spot.  

All these things could be nonsense but come from decent sources, especially that one.

Do you ever post anything that isn't complete and utter bullshit? 

4 minutes ago, Chewing Taffies said:

Do you ever post anything that isn't complete and utter bullshit? 

Oh look, three seconds on google, seems like I didn't make it up after all you fuckin walloper

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/derby-ask-burley-to-come-clean-over-reason-for-leaving-493364.html

3 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Oh look, three seconds on google, seems like I didn't make it up after all you fuckin walloper

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/derby-ask-burley-to-come-clean-over-reason-for-leaving-493364.html

OK so which part of your original story is factually correct then?

- It wasn't Southampton.

- He wasn't sacked - he quit.

- He didn't get the Scotland job straight after the Derby job.

As I said - utter bullshit from you as usual.

6 minutes ago, Chewing Taffies said:

OK so which part of your original story is factually correct then?

- It wasn't Southampton.

- He wasn't sacked - he quit.

- He didn't get the Scotland job straight after the Derby job.

As I said - utter bullshit from you as usual.

He lost his job due to alcohol, a manager often 'resigns' cause he's been told he has a choice of resigning or getting sacked

1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

He lost his job due to alcohol, a manager often 'resigns' cause he's been told he has a choice of resigning or getting sacked

Even if he did lose his job due to alcohol (which he didn't - he left because they were selling players without his consent), the story was he turned up to training drunk. The players refused to confirm this as true.

Your story from your "source" said he was found pished in another clubs boardroom on a match day. And he walked into the Scotland job right after this. Not true.

4 minutes ago, Chewing Taffies said:

Even if he did lose his job due to alcohol (which he didn't - he left because they were selling players without his consent), the story was he turned up to training drunk. The players refused to confirm this as true.

Your story from your "source" said he was found pished in another clubs boardroom on a match day. And he walked into the Scotland job right after this. Not true.

How do you know he didn't?  Scotland was my addition after checking when he lost Southampton job.

I'm not getting into arsey tit for tat. I couldn't give a f**k if you believe me, that's what I heard, I'm relating it here.

19 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
2 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:
Not really a striker coming thru. But Leigh Griffiths, hes still a quality player. Why in the name of f**k can he not get himself fit enough to play more than 10/15 mins?
I've heard some rumours from rangers supporting pals that id take with a line of salt. But there nothing more than just rumours. What's the actual story? Does anyone know?

Can you elaborate on these rumours?

Read my post again, see if you can figure it out yourself.

9 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Read my post again, see if you can figure it out yourself.

There's no need to be subtle, not like Griffiths will have his lawyers dishing out libel claims to Pie and Bovril.

Rangers fans will tell you Griffiths is a wee bam cokehead and thus was removed from football and put through rehab. Celtic fans will tell you he's been struggling with depression and thus was given time to get his head right. The truth may well be a mix of both.

I also heard once years ago, from an impeccable source.  George Burley, if you'll remember he left Southampton very suddenly right before the start of a season, when he'd been doing okay.
Well the story I heard was it was a pre-season game, and he went missing before kick-off.  Search party sent for him, he was found, and they were away from home it wasn't their ground, he was found passed out drunk on a table in the boardroom.  Sacked on the spot.  
All these things could be nonsense but come from decent sources, especially that one.
*if* it's true it's a sad story, and one has to question the approach of sacking on the spot and washing their hands of him. Sounds like a man in need of help.

On 19/12/2020 at 21:01, ewan14 said:

The Easter Road draw so no goals for either Nisbet or Shankland.

I am hoping Nisbet is not coming down with our current malaise of not taking our chances. Still reckoned by some supporters to be a really good all round forward. Shankland thought to be a penalty box striker not getting any service at the moment

He’s playing a bit deeper rather than as a number 9, I believe. Nisbet is EPL quality from what I can see. 

4 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
6 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

*if* it's true it's a sad story, and one has to question the approach of sacking on the spot and washing their hands of him. Sounds like a man in need of help.

I think with the older generation of footballers its incredibly common, much more than is generally made public. Maybe they had already done that who knows. 

I mean the standard thing for retired footballers used to be to buy a pub, and even when playing standard after training was bookies and a few pints.  Its no wonder they end up with problems, high disposable income, lots of time on their hands.
Totally - the Tuesday club culture and the whole era of 70s managers like Clough absolutely caning it. I am partial to a good bevvy, but I guess the distinction is doing it in your down time vs doing it at work.

28 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
5 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:
I mean the standard thing for retired footballers used to be to buy a pub, and even when playing standard after training was bookies and a few pints.  Its no wonder they end up with problems, high disposable income, lots of time on their hands.

Totally - the Tuesday club culture and the whole era of 70s managers like Clough absolutely caning it. I am partial to a good bevvy, but I guess the distinction is doing it in your down time vs doing it at work.

Aye up until about 15-20 years ago the game was full of alkies.  Pressure, fame, adulation, money, time on their hands.  Culture of drinking too, right up to Rangers 9 in a row squad.  The team that drinks together wins together they said, when it turns out the team that drinks together gets ass fisted at home to Juventus.

Aye up until about 15-20 years ago the game was full of alkies.  Pressure, fame, adulation, money, time on their hands.  Culture of drinking too, right up to Rangers 9 in a row squad.  The team that drinks together wins together they said, when it turns out the team that drinks together gets ass fisted at home to Juventus.
Memories of Alec Cleland nearly halving Del Piero at the Stadio Del Alpi after being skinned alive by him [emoji38]

If Turnbull must get a midfield squad berth, who is dropping out?

I see a lot of "X and Y have to be in the squad" but not a lot about who has to not be in there.

If all the folk people thought we had to pick were called up then we'd have about a 40 man squad for the Euros.

To me, Turnbull, McGinn and Armstrong are probably competing for two places in the squad - the starting and backup positions for the role that McGinn plays in the side.

I can't see Turnbull doing enough to dispatch those two, but if there are injuries then he's in with a shout.