Strikers coming through

9 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

True SLW, but Forest were known as a team who sat deep and hit on the break, so Burns had plenty of cover.  I just think the main problem was, and is for any team, if you've a weak defence - and that one was hastily put together / chopped and changed - you're in trouble with midfielders then having to cover areas they shouldn't have to. Just becomes a shambles

That said, Iran took some explaining, brutal performance all round. The documentary did point to the 'hotel' they were staying in which looked equally brutal together with the training facilities, and the players were bored rigid. So whether that played a part, who knows. 

Aside from Dalglish and Jordan, I think the second choice strikers we had around that time were Harper, Johnstone, Wallace and Andy Gray. When Stein came in I think he only gave Gray a few starts then started introducing the likes of Steve Archibald & Alan Brazil, then a bit later Nicholas etc. But we did seem to have a greater number of options going into the 90's than we have in recent years. 

Surely your average midfielder knows to track an opposition runner , 

unless of course that is beneath  them

3 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Burns, Robertson, McGovern all won 2 European cup finals immediately after Argentina.

Did Derek Johnstone not score 40 goals in the preceding season, and so on form for Argentina but did not get a minute?

I thought Masson and Rioch were both very good players.

For me Rough was brilliant at times, but frequently left looking a bit silly at World cups.

Aside from him, that squad were good enough to perform against Iran and Peru, so something else was at play.

Did Andy Gray miss out despite being one of the top scorers in England's top division? Think his place went to Joe Harper? Could be wrong, but seem to remember a bit of grumbling about it.

McQueen did go, and stayed in a much better hotel than the squad, if the after dinner circuit is to be believed.

I really find it difficult to understand why Lawrence Shankland is repeatedly called out yet he is being out performed and outscored in his domestic side by Nicky Clark who doesn't even get mentioned. 

It's bewildering, I think it must be because Nicky has played for Rangers tbh. 

54 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I really find it difficult to understand why Lawrence Shankland is repeatedly called out yet he is being out performed and outscored in his domestic side by Nicky Clark who doesn't even get mentioned. 

Nicky Clark has scored 3 in 10 in the league; Shankland has scored 2 in 5 in the league.

Shankland is 25 and has scored 28, 34, and 29 in the last three seasons.  Clark is 29 and managed 7, 15, and 21 in the same period.

There's no conspiracy here.  Shankland is a very good, relatively young player.  Clark is a decent striker who will never offer anything substantial at Premier League or international level.

What's your point, caller?

1 minute ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Nicky Clark has scored 3 in 10 in the league; Shankland has scored 2 in 5 in the league.

Shankland is 25 and has scored 28, 34, and 29 in the last three seasons.  Clark is 29 and managed 7, 15, and 21 in the same period.

There's no conspiracy here.  Shankland is a very good, relatively young player.  Clark is a decent striker who will never offer anything substantial at Premier League or international level.

What's your point, caller?

amazed GIF

It actually worked. 

11 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Threads busy, must be a couple of cracking strikers coming thru.

Oh no, its actually the never ending chat about Scotland teams from past decades.

Fair comment, suppose the mind wanders when a thread in theory could be very short.

OK, let's give it a go.  Assume we're talking here about "goalscorers" ready to come into the full international set up between now and next couple of years.  Current recent picks seem to be Dykes, McBurnie, Shankland, Burke, Brophy, Griffiths (maybe?).  Don't know if we're placing Fraser & Christie in this category.   Doubt we'll include the likes of Paterson and Naismith 

So, how many SPFL clubs have Scottish strikers playing and scoring regularly for their clubs, and how many of those clubs are regularly playing at European level - all combined just as an indication a young lad's getting ready for the international first team ?

How many eligible strikers are playing & scoring regularly at Championship or Premiership level in England, or overseas ?

Lewis Morgan in the States and the young lad Hornby in France might be worth a look.  Anyone else ?

Been impressed with Dykes but there's a reason Clarke looked around and then persuaded him to commit to Scotland. 

Threads busy, must be a couple of cracking strikers coming thru.
Oh no, its actually the never ending chat about Scotland teams from past decades.
I'm still reeling from the revelation that years ago, in the past, things were different to what they are now, in the present.

Mind blown.

4 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Is he Scottish ?

2 hours ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Fair comment, suppose the mind wanders when a thread in theory could be very short.

OK, let's give it a go.  Assume we're talking here about "goalscorers" ready to come into the full international set up between now and next couple of years.  Current recent picks seem to be Dykes, McBurnie, Shankland, Burke, Brophy, Griffiths (maybe?).  Don't know if we're placing Fraser & Christie in this category.   Doubt we'll include the likes of Paterson and Naismith 

So, how many SPFL clubs have Scottish strikers playing and scoring regularly for their clubs, and how many of those clubs are regularly playing at European level - all combined just as an indication a young lad's getting ready for the international first team ?

How many eligible strikers are playing & scoring regularly at Championship or Premiership level in England, or overseas ?

Lewis Morgan in the States and the young lad Hornby in France might be worth a look.  Anyone else ?

Been impressed with Dykes but there's a reason Clarke looked around and then persuaded him to commit to Scotland. 

I'd say it's almost guaranteed to be Dykes, McBurnie, and Shankland, with the possibility of Griffiths as well if fit and in-form.

In addition, Burke, Russell, Paterson to make up numbers, or offer alternatives..

The only strikers I can see coming through, or being given a chance in the next 12-18 months are Hornby and Nisbet.  No one else seems be the right age or performing at a suitable level.

5 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I'm going to have to deliver a yellow card for your use of the phrase "called out" here.

1 hour ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Just now, Marshmallo said:

"The young lad Hornby" 😫

Indeed the young lad hornby, I think he looks a great prospect.

I would also probably throw Ryan Fraser in there as well. He played up front the other night, maybe not as an out an out striker. But he played very well.

19 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
3 hours ago, Marshmallo said:
"The young lad Hornby" emoji31.png

You slagging the patter or do you just not rate him?

The former - don't know enough about him to really have an opinion on him as a player. 

Good record for the u21s. If he can get consistent games for a decent French team then I'll probably have a closer look.