Strikers coming through

3 minutes ago, NickMcG said:

Where would we put Hearts and Hibs if they were playing in England with their current squad? League One or, at a push, lower championship? I hope Nisbet moves because I think a lot of people underestimate how much of a step up other leagues are compared with the SPL. That's why I'm not getting too excited about Shankland having a good season.

Don’t play this game, it’s English football fanboy shite. There are plenty good players in the SPFL as evidenced by the fact many of them go on to have excellent careers in the Championship or EPL. I am sure Nisbet and Shankland would do just fine down there, there given Ross Stewart is one of their top scorers and he could only manage 1 in 4 for Ross County.

40 minutes ago, NickMcG said:

Yes, of course there are, but until they make that step up we should be realistic about where they are. Shankland appears to be a decent striker in the Scottish game but he hardly covered himself in glory in Belgium.   Put it another way, how many goals would Che Adams be scoring in the SPL? My guess is a lot.  I'd bet McBurnie would also be a level above everyone else.

The team that Shankland played for over there were pretty hopeless and finished 12 points adrift, don’t think that’s a great measure of him as a player 

Che Adams would score lots of goals in our league because he's an English Premier League striker at the top of his game. McBurnie would be as much of a big lump here as he has been at every other level of football in the last five years or so.

Just now, craigkillie said:

Che Adams would score lots of goals in our league because he's an English Premier League striker at the top of his game. McBurnie would be as much of a big lump here as he has been at every other level of football in the last five years or so.

Not that i think Mcburnie is a great player, but hes near the top of the championships topscorers, with one of the best minutes per goals ratios. Funnily enough only Stewart ahead of him in that regard. So not bad for a big lump.

If mcburnie played for celtic or rangers I think he would be scoring regularly.

Its a player by player basis, some who look good here go down south and do badly. And some like Stewart who did ok here, go down and thrive. The only way to really get an idea of where a hearts or hibs would finish is actually seeing them in that league.

Just now, NickMcG said:

McBurnie has been playing well this season. He obviously has had some personal issues but it looks like he has grown up. At this moment in time, I'd have him and Stewart in well before Shankland and Nisbet.

I think thats it, some people forget that footballers are actually people with normal issues that affect and influence people. Rather than simply stats on a page.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

6 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I think thats it, some people forget that footballers are actually people with normal issues that affect and influence people. Rather than simply stats on a page.

Except the ones in Championship Manager/Football Manager, who are definitely just stats on a page 

2 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Dykes is a grafter but an absolutely pish footballer. If he drops down to EF League One will he still get picked for Scotland?

Well, this isn’t really true. He maybe isn’t the best technically at times, compared to others but he isn’t remotely “absolutely pish.” 

Also no idea why he would be dropping down to league one…

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

I couldn't care less if he's playing in the Outer Mongolian farmers league. His form for Scotland deserves a spot in the squad until proven otherwise.

The outer mongolian farmers league is a higher standard than scottish premier

4 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Dykes is a grafter but an absolutely pish footballer. If he drops down to EF League One will he still get picked for Scotland?

“If X player dropped down to a level we almost never pick players from would they still get picked?”

Even by your standards on here that’s pish.