Strikers coming through

I don't want to say too much as I've only watched him once this season and the level of opposition aren't great, but his mental strength to rise and adapt to these different levels is impressive and makes me curious to see how he does for Scotland (although Adams is still the main man). 

17 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I don't want to say too much as I've only watched him once this season and the level of opposition aren't great, but his mental strength to rise and adapt to these different levels is impressive and makes me curious to see how he does for Scotland (although Adams is still the main man). 

They’re a different style of forward really. Adams is great at playing the lone striker role in games that we won’t see a lot of the ball because he can hold the ball up and use his pace on the counter attack. I think stylistically he’s actually quite similar to what Kenny Miller used to do for us back in the mid 2000s when we had some success under Walter Smith and Alex McLeish.

Dykes and Stewart are both penalty box poachers. You try and get crosses into the box or play into their feet and you back them to get you a goal. 

Obviously different styles suit different games (and we’ve had some success playing Dykes and Adams together, though it was a disaster against Ukraine in the playoff), but the big question for me at the moment is whether Stewart can oust Dykes as the preferred option when we are looking for a poacher type. 

On club form you’d definitely back Stewart over Dykes at the moment, but big daddy Dykes certainly raises his game in international football. 

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Lyndon Dykes is absolutely not a poacher.

Have you seen his goals for Scotland? Very often they come from corners or crosses. He's not like Adams who drops very deep and gets involved in the build up play. He's a real penalty box forward.

Based on his time in Scotland, I'd say Stewart is a fairly complete forward, probably quite similar to Adams but obviously not as good. Good in front of goal but very willing to run the channels. No idea if he has developed a lot since he went to Sunderland because I have to admit to not having seen much of him there.

On 08/01/2023 at 11:11, Donathan said:

They’re a different style of forward really. Adams is great at playing the lone striker role in games that we won’t see a lot of the ball because he can hold the ball up and use his pace on the counter attack. I think stylistically he’s actually quite similar to what Kenny Miller used to do for us back in the mid 2000s when we had some success under Walter Smith and Alex McLeish.

Dykes and Stewart are both penalty box poachers. You try and get crosses into the box or play into their feet and you back them to get you a goal. 

Obviously different styles suit different games (and we’ve had some success playing Dykes and Adams together, though it was a disaster against Ukraine in the playoff), but the big question for me at the moment is whether Stewart can oust Dykes as the preferred option when we are looking for a poacher type. 

On club form you’d definitely back Stewart over Dykes at the moment, but big daddy Dykes certainly raises his game in international football. 

I don’t think Adams is as quick as people assume. He’s very strong but his pace is average and less than Stewart’s. Good player though. 

16 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

The absolute disservice to Che Adams, comparing him to Kenny Miller. The only similarity is their finishing ability. 

But aye Dykes isn’t remotely a poacher. I’ve not seen enough of Stewart to comment either way.

Adams is far better than Miller ever was, but that doesn’t mean that they’re not similar in terms of playing style. 

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

Such a pish argument to be making 

Not really. I don’t see how you can compare the two strikers given they played in two different eras.

There are too many football players that have very large amounts of money in the bank but have achieved zilch in their careers in terms of winning major honours. 

Kenny Miller never ever let Scotland down as a player. 

Miller achieved more as a player in England than Che Adams has done so far. 

It’s all about opinions but at least KM has medals and trophies to show his kids and grandkids. 

Just now, Molotov said:

Not really. I don’t see how you can compare the two strikers given they played in two different eras.

There are too many football players that have very large amounts of money in the bank but have achieved zilch in their careers in terms of winning major honours. 

It’s all about opinions but at least KM has medals and trophies to show his kids and grandkids. 

Its not really, miller didn't stop playing long ago. Most Scotland fans would have watched them both extensively. You just use your eyes and form an opinion.

And before I do, im not shitting on miller. He always did his best for Scotland which is all people can ask. But this is the discussion.

For me also Adams is the superior player. Their similar in terms of physical attributes and workrate, but Adams just has better technique and ability.

Im not sure what you think Miller achieved down south. But in comparison with Adams hes way behind.

Millers best season in the championship he scored 19 in 44 games.

Compared to Adams 22 in 46.

In terms of Premier league goals, Adams is miles ahead. Millers best premiership season he scored 4 goals. His total in the premiership is 6 goals in 55 games.

Compared to Adams 24 in 113 games. With a best of 9 goals in a season.

Adams worst premiership season is better than Millers best. Miller only got 2 seasons in the premiership and I think the numbers tell the story as to why.

58 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Aye, as above - in what world has Miller achieved more in England than Adams. 

12 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Aye, as above - in what world has Miller achieved more in England than Adams. 

Has Adams ever been in a major domestic cup final in England or won a league playoff to get to to the EPL?

Miller has managed both.

The only honours Che Adams has won to date are

Oadby Town

Battle of Britain Charity Cup: 2012–13

Ilkeston

Derbyshire Senior Cup: 2013–14

FFS, I’ve sent this thread down a right rabbit hole. The Miller/Adams comparison is just me saying they’re the same style of striker, nothing to do with their abilities relative to one another. There are strikers in Scottish league two that are the same style of player to Harry Kane or Patrik Schick or Karin Benzema. Doesn’t mean they’re as good as them, just means that’s how they style their game.