Strikers coming through

7 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Supposedly Brentford are preparing a bid for Ross Stewart, after Ivan Toney picked up a bad knee injury.

Be great if he could find a groove in the EPL

Thats interesting, hes certainly doing very well. And proving people wrong, is it too early for a move? Saying that Brentford don't seem to get it wrong often. ill need to make the time and watch a few of his games for myself.

52 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Thats interesting, hes certainly doing very well. And proving people wrong, is it too early for a move? Saying that Brentford don't seem to get it wrong often. ill need to make the time and watch a few of his games for myself.

Seemingly Toney's injury is not as bad as not feared so not sure if that's still a possibility. 

Now has 9 in 11 and 3 assists. That's an excellent return for his first time at that level playing in a newly promoted team. Would quite like to seem him stay at Sunderland for a bit longer as it defo seems to work for him there.  

Edited by dundeefc1783

If you believe this, which I imagine most won't and will just mock me for, hes hitting the type of form that deserves a bottom half EPL side making a move.

stewart.thumb.png.c263cbd9f341d3fbdb21b67c77a351b1.png

Think his strong possession scores should see him in the Scotland squad too. Like Dykes but he can be limited linking play sometimes, Stewart might be better so would like to see it tried.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

If you believe this, which I imagine most won't and will just mock me for, hes hitting the type of form that deserves a bottom half EPL side making a move.

stewart.thumb.png.c263cbd9f341d3fbdb21b67c77a351b1.png

Think his strong possession scores should see him in the Scotland squad too. Like Dykes but he can be limited linking play sometimes, Stewart might be better so would like to see it tried.

Dykes has done well for us and also had some poor performances, no room for sentimentality if we can do better.

On the youth side Rory Mcleod from Dundee utd is the latest young striker attracting interest in England. We really need a couple of these young guys to come thru.

Agreed on Stewart. 26 goals last season, 9 goals in 11 games in the Championship this season, he's the most in form forward we have at the moment and he has to be involved in upcoming squads minimum. It looks like he's one of those players who's a bit of a later developer and has really stepped on as a player and I'm sure plenty of Premier League clubs are keeping tabs on him.

We all like Lyndon Dykes and I think he's a player that's tended to perform above himself in a Scotland shirt but Stewart is the player performing at club level right now so should probably be our first choice centre forward. If we're going with one up front then him and Adams are obviously quite different players and although it's probably true that Adams is the better player all round at the moment, someone like Stewart might actually fit into our system a bit better as more of a target man. Especially given that set pieces are a strength of ours and he's more likely to be a threat from them.

The prospect of Doak and Stewart pairing up is pretty mouth-watering right now.

The biggest hope for a genuinely top striker emerging has to be Rory Wilson. 12 goals in 13 Scotland u-17 appearences, already breaking into the u-21s as a 16 year old, more than a goal a game for Aston Villa u-18s and is now breaking into their u-21 team.

Just now, Gordon EF said:

The biggest hope for a genuinely top striker emerging has to be Rory Wilson. 12 goals in 13 Scotland u-17 appearences, already breaking into the u-21s as a 16 year old, more than a goal a game for Aston Villa u-18s and is now breaking into their u-21 team.

Yeah at the moment probably, but anything can happen. We've got better numbers going to and being scouted by big clubs. The more the better.

7 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

You may well be right, but he’s probably at least 2 years off any real senior football? For the here and now, I’ll take having Stewart scoring goals in the Championship, as after him it’s pretty much Shankland and Nisbet - neither of whom are really good enough to make an impact at international level.

After that, we’re still hoping for youth players to make the step up. As good as some of them are, it almost never happens for us… without sourcing Dykes and Adams we’d have been looking at Watt as our source of goals since 2019/2020…

Adams, Dykes, Stewart and Shankland are the four to go to for these matches as it stands. People keep writing off Dykes for his lack of goals at club level, but he brings so much to the team in terms of attitude and desire and I don't think you can overlook that.

13 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Adams, Dykes, Stewart and Shankland are the four to go to for these matches as it stands. People keep writing off Dykes for his lack of goals at club level, but he brings so much to the team in terms of attitude and desire and I don't think you can overlook that.

I dont think anyone is writing dykes off. Were just the same as any club or international side, we need to be looking to make improvements all the time. Dykes has not scored alot at club level, and had some poor performances for us. As well as alot of good ones, but its only about making our squad as good as it can be.

Bournemouths dembele appears to be eligible for Scotland. (Karamokos brother it seems) 

came off the bench tonight against United. 5 appearances or so this season. 
plays wing or striker. Maybe worth asking for options but as others said adams and dykes will be the main men for a while, although shankland is on a good streak atm

45 minutes ago, PrestersKTID said:

Bournemouths dembele appears to be eligible for Scotland. (Karamokos brother it seems) 

came off the bench tonight against United. 5 appearances or so this season. 
plays wing or striker. Maybe worth asking for options but as others said adams and dykes will be the main men for a while, although shankland is on a good streak atm

Think Stewart is forcing his way in in terms of his scoring form and all round play. But yeah Dembele is a different type of forward who is worth a call. I'd rather we tried a few backup options rather than continually calling up Jacob Brown or Kevin Nisbet. 

8 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Think Stewart is forcing his way in in terms of his scoring form and all round play. But yeah Dembele is a different type of forward who is worth a call. I'd rather we tried a few backup options rather than continually calling up Jacob Brown or Kevin Nisbet. 

Stewart is 26

May not have been intent of your post but he is hardly coming through,  answer is we have zero strikers at present coming through as our pitiful effort at rearing young strikers in this country continues 

An example of a young striker coming through would be the irish lad ferguson at Brighton playing and scoring at top level as an 18 year old 

12 minutes ago, Binos said:

Stewart is 26

May not have been intent of your post but he is hardly coming through,  answer is we have zero strikers at present coming through as our pitiful effort at rearing young strikers in this country continues 

An example of a young striker coming through would be the irish lad ferguson at Brighton playing and scoring at top level as an 18 year old 

Aye, fully aware Stewart is mid-career - always seems to be the way for us (indeed, Dembele is 26 too). But he is also the only striker on notable scoring form (shankland too but at a lesser level).

Would much rather have a 20 year old to call on, but beggars can't be choosers and all that.

Edit: Conway is probably the next closest thing we have in terms of playing and scoring at a decent level (and he is 20), but he's not knocking at the door to the same extent as Stewart at this moment in time.

Edited by Gordopolis

2 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Aye, fully aware Stewart is mid-career. But he is also the only striker on notable scoring form (shankland too but at a lesser level).

Beggars can't be choosers and all that.

I can't get my head round every single lad out there in every single of the myriad of youth teams across our country,  is shite 

They can't be,  statistically it makes no sense 

Our coaching system is so tragically broken its a complete embarrassment 

9 minutes ago, Binos said:

I can't get my head round every single lad out there in every single of the myriad of youth teams across our country,  is shite 

They can't be,  statistically it makes no sense 

Our coaching system is so tragically broken its a complete embarrassment 

Couldn't agree more. Why can't we nurture just one (or two - imagine!) eagle eyed goalscorers of international calibre?

I do have a bit of faith in the PS system tho, and as mentioned earlier, Rory Wilson at Villa and Doak at Liverpool (albeit more of a winger), look like possibly bringing us up a level in attack.

Edited by Gordopolis

There's also Dire Mebude (18) at Man City. I think he plays more wide right than centre forward but he's scoring a lot of goals for City's u-21s. I've seen some highlights of him playing for scotland u-19s and for Man City's u-21s and he looks a right good player. Fast, strong, two-footed, can take players on, and score goals.

We've been tragically pish at developing players for a long time but there are quite a few players now in their late teens who're showing a lot of potential and, crucially, in more attacking positions. Presumably, quite a few have come through the PS system.

19 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Couldn't agree more. Why can't we nurture just one (or two - imagine!) eagle eyed goalscorers of international calibre?

I do have a bit of faith in the PS system tho, and as mentioned earlier, Rory Wilson at Villa and Doak at Liverpool (albeit more of a winger), look like possibly bringing us up a level in attack.

A reddy for that? @ArabFC