Strikers coming through

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

Has Karlan Grant been asked? Decent scoring record in the championship and not making it for England 

I also wouldn’t be shocked to see Harvey Barnes and Angus Gunn agree to play for us a few years down the line 

Hasn't Barnes already been capped for England?

22 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He has been, but is still eligible to play for us because it was only in a friendly. Not that I'd expect him to any time soon.

Agreed. He’s England through and through, but he’s miles behind other attacking midfielders/wingers in their squad. 

They’ve got Sterling, Foden, Grealish, Saka, Mount, Sancho, Gallagher, Smith-Rose and his clubmate Maddison all ahead of him. 

Try again in 3-5 years when he’s still one cap 

5 hours ago, Donathan said:

I also wouldn’t be shocked to see Harvey Barnes and Angus Gunn agree to play for us a few years down the line 

Angus Gunn is now the wrong side of 25 and has no caps. Surely he would be looking at the fact that our first choice keeper is 39 and he could have the chance of being an important player for us in the future instead of getting no caps for England.

6 hours ago, Donathan said:

Ewan Urain at athletic Bilbao? 

He’s only been capped once at u21, but given some mental team selections by the coaching team, I wouldn’t read anything into that. It’s not like Glenn Middleton is the future of anything.

Has he had a glance at first team football yet?

I’d love to see us steal Barnes (albeit he’s not a striker). There’s a few very good English players we could have, but persuasion could be a challenge.

Making a World Cup could help that persuasion. It’s very different to be capped in qualifiers, and another having a realistic choice of making it to Finals.

I don't think we could call Barnes up just now even if both sides wanted it. I think 3 years need to pass since a players last appearance for their first national team before they can ask to change.

v) at least three years have passed since being fielded for his last
match at “A” international level in any kind of football for his
current association, whether in an official competition or non-
official competition...

From what I can see the only reason he can play for us at all is due to an amnesty rule for the years surrounding the rule the change. He played for England u21 in an official competition aged=> 21 and therefore wouldn't have been eligible to play for us at all without it.

Edited by charger29

If I was Clarke I’d chance my arm at another phone call to Angus Gunn pretty soon. He’s 26 now and isn’t anywhere near getting back into the England squad. Pickford is their number one, followed by Nick Pope and Aaron Ramsdale. After that comes Dean Henderson, Fraser Forster and Sam Johnstone. At best he’s their 7th choice keeper and being the backup for Norwich isn’t exactly going to convince Southgate to call him up.

At this juncture it’s probably a choice between switching to Scotland or not having an international career at all, meanwhile conveniently for him we are the retirement of (39 year old) Craig Gordon away from a massive hole in the goalkeeping department so the jersey could be his for the next decade if he wants it. 

Just now, Virtual Insanity said:

Young Jordan Rhodes with a goal and assist today. 

Just posted in the Ukraine match there, he took the piss today. 

9 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
14 minutes ago, TheScarf said:
Just posted in the Ukraine match there, he took the piss today. 

How did he look? I honestly thought he was pretty much done.

Sharp, alert, got an assist and scored a peach to make it 2-0.

Young striker coming thru Jordan Rhodes is just starting on sky against Barnsley.
With our current situation (cant believe im saying this) he could potentially come into contention if he's playing well.

Can’t believe anyone in Scotland is watching some English guff over Killie vs Arbroath.

This is one for a couple of years down the line and a bit under the radar, and he could get a full NI call up. Reminds me a bit of a young Duncan Ferguson. Wiry, tall, aggressive…  Lewis McCann (wee brother of Ali McCann). Can see some team paying a fee and taking him away from Pars even if we go down.