Strikers coming through

If riordan, o'conner or Griffiths decided to screw the nut at any point during their careers,  OR if Nisbet, shankland or to go back a little bit dobbie took things seriously before they ended up at last chance salon for FT football whilst robertson chucked thing following his release by celtic, Tierney decided to give up after any one of his injuries and Hickey used his move abroad to chase women and drink beer,  we'd be sitting here wondering why taylor is comfortably first choice left back with little behind him when we have consistently produced top class strikers. 

If riordan, o'conner or Griffiths decided to screw the nut at any point during their careers,  OR if Nisbet, shankland or to go back a little bit dobbie took things seriously before they ended up at last chance salon for FT football whilst robertson chucked thing following his release by celtic, Tierney decided to give up after any one of his injuries and Hickey used his move abroad to chase women and drink beer,  we'd be sitting here wondering why taylor is comfortably first choice left back with little behind him when we have consistently produced top class strikers. 

Still steaming?

18 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

We probably won’t create a Lukaku or Haaland, but a country of our size should be absolutely capable of making a Zahavi/Dolberg/Braithwaite/Schick/King/Sorloth/Bamford-level striker capable of performing for a Europa League, or low-level Champions League team.

How can we not create a Haaland? 

Norway have produced a Haaland, Bosnia have a Dzeko, Wales produced Bale, Ireland produced a Robbie Keane, even Serbia have produced Mitrovic and one of the top prospects in Europe in Vlahovic recently. Would you say these countries have superior youth setups and facilities than Scotland?

We have been very unfortunate not to have produced a top striker for such a long time.

29 minutes ago, tartanbrush said:

How many strikers have the Old Firm produced in the last 20 to 25 years between them? Absolutely damning

Strikers eligible for Scotland to have came through the youth ranks at the Old Firm who have at least one first team appearance since 2000:

Rangers/Sevco
Tom Brighton
Steven MacLean
Darryl Duffy
Bob Davidson
Ross McCormack
Steven Lennon
Rory Loy
Barrie McKay
Kal Naismith
Calum Gallagher
Ryan Hardie
Dapo Mebude

Celtic
Mark Burchill
Shaun Maloney
Simon Lynch
Craig Beattie
James Keatings
Denny Johnson
Jack Aitchison

Don't think I've missed anyone obvious there?

55 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Strikers eligible for Scotland to have came through the youth ranks at the Old Firm who have at least one first team appearance since 2000:

Rangers/Sevco
Tom Brighton
Steven MacLean
Darryl Duffy
Bob Davidson
Ross McCormack
Steven Lennon
Rory Loy
Barrie McKay
Kal Naismith
Calum Gallagher
Ryan Hardie
Dapo Mebude

Celtic
Mark Burchill
Shaun Maloney
Simon Lynch
Craig Beattie
James Keatings
Denny Johnson
Jack Aitchison

Remember Denny Johnstone was meant to be the next big thing. 

He's scored less than 30 goals in the last 7 years or something! 

14 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Remember Denny Johnstone was meant to be the next big thing. 

He's scored less than 30 goals in the last 7 years or something! 

I don’t tbh, there’s always one that scores for fun in the youths but I don’t remember him being massively talked about.

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Rangers/Sevco
Tom Brighton
Steven MacLean
Darryl Duffy
Bob Davidson
Ross McCormack
Steven Lennon
Rory Loy
Barrie McKay
Kal Naismith
Calum Gallagher
Ryan Hardie
Dapo Mebude

Celtic
Mark Burchill
Shaun Maloney
Simon Lynch
Craig Beattie
James Keatings
Denny Johnson
Jack Aitchison

So absolutely no one then? They literally havn't produced one international class striker between them. Maloney and McCormack are the only ones and even then Maloney was an attacking Midfielder and McCormack had to go to Motherwell to make a name for himself. It is indeed an absolutely pathetic list of strikers they have amassed between themselves, for the two biggest clubs in Scotland to produce that standard of striker for the last 25 years is utterly shocking.

29 minutes ago, tartanbrush said:

Karlan Grant scoring tonight for WBA seems to be in decent form this season. Powerful and quick looks a not bad player

5 goals in 5 games and apparently quite a good one tonight. I'd imagine we will be asking him for next squad due to lack of strikers so if he doesn't appear he wont be interested.

Edited by red23

13 hours ago, ahemps said:

How can we not create a Haaland? 

Norway have produced a Haaland, Bosnia have a Dzeko, Wales produced Bale, Ireland produced a Robbie Keane, even Serbia have produced Mitrovic and one of the top prospects in Europe in Vlahovic recently. Would you say these countries have superior youth setups and facilities than Scotland?

We have been very unfortunate not to have produced a top striker for such a long time.

Scotland will never produce a Haaland through design, its just daft to suggest Norway did either. Hes a physical freak of nature who is 6 foot 4 but can still run 60m in ~6.6 seconds, a pace that would put him in the top 60 sprinters over the past World Athletics season. Honestly just weird how many folk think its a reasonable expectation for more than one country in a generation to get someone like him.

I don't think a single one of those players were in their countries of birth when they turned 19? Bale was in English football before he was 10 for example. Dzeko was a failed CM who was close to giving up the game before a Czech side turned him into a striker, did Bosnia "produce" the player he became? Did Wales "produce" the player Bale was? Or are you crediting these Countries for their physical attributes?

FWIW I'd absolutely say Serbia have a better youth set up than Scotland. Partizan alone probably produce more quality players a decade than Rangers and Celtic combined.

Edited by RandomGuy.

23 hours ago, parsforlife said:

what the hell is that all about?

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Scotland will never produce a Haaland through design, its just daft to suggest Norway did either. Hes a physical freak of nature who is 6 foot 4 but can still run 60m in ~6.6 seconds, a pace that would put him in the top 60 sprinters over the past World Athletics season. Honestly just weird how many folk think its a reasonable expectation for more than one country in a generation to get someone like him.

I don't think a single one of those players were in their countries of birth when they turned 19? Bale was in English football before he was 10 for example. Dzeko was a failed CM who was close to giving up the game before a Czech side turned him into a striker, did Bosnia "produce" the player he became? Did Wales "produce" the player Bale was? Or are you crediting these Countries for their physical attributes?

FWIW I'd absolutely say Serbia have a better youth set up than Scotland. Partizan alone probably produce more quality players a decade than Rangers and Celtic combined.

In the 3 tournaments Serbia have competed in, Partizan have produced 9 players, for the national squad.

2006 -4 2010 - 2 2018 - 3

Celtic produced 5 players for the last Euros. Rangers 2.

I'm not defending the old firm here, I'm just pointing out that the top clubs of the countries don't produce as many players as people think. Crvena Zvezda produced the most for Serbia, with 10 players over the 3 tournaments.

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Scotland will never produce a Haaland through design, its just daft to suggest Norway did either. Hes a physical freak of nature who is 6 foot 4 but can still run 60m in ~6.6 seconds, a pace that would put him in the top 60 sprinters over the past World Athletics season

Sounds like someone I know.... A certain Mr Olly Burke anyone... Olly Burke hasn't and never has had the mentality to become a top football player, had all the attributes needed apart from the most important mentality and a will to improve. What a disappointment that boys been.

1 hour ago, tartanbrush said:

Sounds like someone I know.... A certain Mr Olly Burke anyone... Olly Burke hasn't and never has had the mentality to become a top football player, had all the attributes needed apart from the most important mentality and a will to improve. What a disappointment that boys been.

Console yourself with the fact that had he been anywhere near the player Haaland is, he would have played in white, not blue.

Console yourself with the fact that had he been anywhere near the player Haaland is, he would have played in white, not blue.

Oli Burke is Scottish, why would he have played for England? He was one of the hottest prospects in Europe when he made his debut with us.