Strikers coming through

55 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I've wondered before what our XI would be if Strachan was still in charge. Based on current club form and his decisions with Scotland, I'd guess:

Marshall
Tierney Cooper McKenna Robertson
McGinn McTominay McGregor
Forrest Adams Fraser

Hanley and Armstrong would have probably been there too, and I could imagine there being a Fletcher-like situation with McBurnie.

Looks like a pretty decent team tbf. I'd love to see it, 4 left footers in a back 4, some on here would have a coronary.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Looks like a pretty decent team tbf. I'd love to see it, 4 left footers in a back 4, some on here would have a coronary.

I think most of his final matches in charge had an all left-footed back four - it was mainly Robertson, Berra, Mulgrew and Tierney. That was with a left-footed keeper (Gordon) behind them too.

Just now, craigkillie said:

I think most of his final matches in charge had an all left-footed back four - it was mainly Robertson, Berra, Mulgrew and Tierney. That was with a left-footed keeper (Gordon) behind them too.

And the world didn't end? Amazing. 

I've wondered before what our XI would be if Strachan was still in charge. Based on current club form and his decisions with Scotland, I'd guess:

Marshall
Tierney Cooper McKenna Robertson
McGinn McTominay McGregor
Forrest Adams Fraser

Hanley and Armstrong would have probably been there too, and I could imagine there being a Fletcher-like situation with McBurnie.
To be honest, personnel-wise, that's pretty close to a Clarke team. Probably a different shape tho, maybe a 433 you've suggested, or the 4231 that Strachan mainly used.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Touched upon on Moldova thread but assuming we may see a new name to the squad for the game given Dykes and Christie out.

There is a good chance he calls up nobody of course and he hopes he can get through that game with Adams, Fraser, Nisbet and McGinn as forward options and this wouldn't surprise me. However, lets say he decides to call up another striker, where does he go?

Does he go with someone who has been in and around the squad before - McBurnie, Burke, Paterson, Shankland etc

Does he go with someone scoring goals in League One  - Ross Stewart, Ryan Hardie

Does he go for one of the under 21 strikers - Glenn Middleton, Dapo Mebude

I would say out of that lot, my gut is telling me Clarke won't call anyone new up unless there is another injury. If there has to be a call up I think Ross Stewart might be the most likely name.

If anyone comes back in I would fancy it to be Shankland but Clarke has been keen on giving players playing in Scotland a chance if they're doing well rather than dropping down to the diddy leagues in England. More likely to be someone like Kane at St. Johnstone than anyone in League One in England. 

48 minutes ago, DavidMcG said:

lets say he decides to call up another striker, where does he go?

Does he go with someone scoring goals in League One  - Ross Stewart, Ryan Hardie

Was speaking to a Plymouth fan the other day who says Ryan Hardie has been unreal this season. 10 goals in 13 games, top of League One. 

I fully expect Adams to play (if fit) but wouldn't be surprised to see Hardie brought in for a look anyway

58 minutes ago, DavidMcG said:

Touched upon on Moldova thread but assuming we may see a new name to the squad for the game given Dykes and Christie out.

There is a good chance he calls up nobody of course and he hopes he can get through that game with Adams, Fraser, Nisbet and McGinn as forward options and this wouldn't surprise me. However, lets say he decides to call up another striker, where does he go?

Does he go with someone who has been in and around the squad before - McBurnie, Burke, Paterson, Shankland etc

Does he go for one of the under 21 strikers - Glenn Middleton, Dapo Mebude

I would say out of that lot, my gut is telling me Clarke won't call anyone new up unless there is another injury. If there has to be a call up I think Ross Stewart might be the most likely name.

McBurnie

50 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

If anyone comes back in I would fancy it to be Shankland but Clarke has been keen on giving players playing in Scotland a chance if they're doing well rather than dropping down to the diddy leagues in England. More likely to be someone like Kane at St. Johnstone than anyone in League One in England. 

Brophy ?

Tony Watt

It's a shame Horn(s)by has dropped off the radar a bit (injured and not playing in France). He - in theory - could be a close fit to play the Dykes role for us in LD's absence. He was rather shite at Aberdeen on loan last season, but I think it's a bit harsh to judge him solely on that.

How far is Forrest from full fitness? He’s not a replacement but if he’s fit and playing SC might just use him as an attacking space.

Even if there’s no Adams, I can’t see another striker making it. Moldova is the only issue (assuming Dykes is fit) and playing a Watt or McBurnie is a bigger risk than Nisbet.

For what it’s worth, McBurnie would be my expectation if we need another striker. Not my decision but it’s likely SC’s. With 16 caps, he’s got experience, and that does count for something.

If Adams is fit I reckon Clarke will go with Adams and Armstrong as the most forward 2, as at least they'll have experience of playing together at club level. I can't see him calling anyone else up, I think his squad is completely settled now. 

The only one I'd include is Gauld, but I think we all know he won't get a look in.