Strikers coming through

16 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It's good for him to get minutes, but the fact he's come to Scotland rather than staying in France (or a more similar league like Belgium) suggests to me there's a decent chance he doesn't have much of a future there and they're trying to sell him on already. I think if they were genuinely wanting him to gain experience to go back there then they'd have been sending him out to the French second tier or something like that.

I did read he had several offers but wanted to come to Scotland

5 hours ago, accies1874 said:

It would be nice if we end up in a situation where Hornby, Nisbet and Shankland are all battling it out in the Premiership for one spot in the squad.

Maybe Aberdeen will play Hibs on the last day of the season and whoever scores gets in the squad. Hornby scores in the last second and reveals a Euro 2020 shirt right in front of Nisbet which causes a disgraceful fight between the two, meaning Shankland's the one who goes to the Euros.

Might be worth keeping an eye on.

What about Watt ?

Being serious , the ways things are going for Shankland , and especially Nisbet

I think we have a similar issue developing up front compared with the one at the back.

We've a clutch of reasonable options developing and a few might even end up in the Championship.

Sadly though like most of our out and out centre backs (as opposed to Tierney and McTominay) none of them are currently Premier League quality.

9 hours ago, Scumjob said:

I think we have a similar issue developing up front compared with the one at the back.

We've a clutch of reasonable options developing and a few might even end up in the Championship.

Sadly though like most of our out and out centre backs (as opposed to Tierney and McTominay) none of them are currently Premier League quality.

Why dont we try Mctominay up front? That way we could keep Ryan Jack in midfield 

11 hours ago, Scumjob said:

Sad we don't have more players at Sheffield Utd or WBA

Looking more unlikely that Griffiths is going to be in shape or form anytime soon.

So the striker pool for the Euros is currently looking like:

Dykes
McBurnie
Nisbett/Shankland

With Fraser, Christie and Burke serving as the second striker/foil

I'm not so worried about the second striker lot, but none of the first group are exactly banging in goals - apart from Nisbett, though it looks like he's hit a sticky patch with his transfer situation.

Bit of a concern. Hope we don't go into this tournament toothless up front.

Wonder if SC has anything up his sleeve here in terms of pulling in someone with dual eligibility?

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Looking more unlikely that Griffiths is going to be in shape or form anytime soon.

Dykes
McBurnie
Nisbett/Shankland

I'm not so worried about the second striker lot, but none of the first group are exactly banging in goals - apart from Nisbett, though it looks like he's hit a sticky patch with his transfer situation.

Wonder if SC has anything up his sleeve here in terms of pulling in someone with dual eligibility?

I think James Forrest and Ryan Gauld will also be contenders for the second attacker spot. Dykes aside, the main striker spot is a bit grim. 

I think James Forrest and Ryan Gauld will also be contenders for the second attacker spot. Dykes aside, the main striker spot is a bit grim. 

Gauld wont make the squad.

I suspect there wont be many surprises in the squad. Turnbull looks like he may be making a late run. Gilmour is clearly a talented player but he is not really playing so the euros will come too soon for him.

Dykes and mcburnie will be the options. The only decision will be between shankland, nisbit and griffiths. I cant see him taking 4 strikers.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Dykes
McBurnie
Nisbett/Shankland

Griffiths is still featuring for Celtic in most games - in the last 7 weeks he's made 7 starts and 2 sub appearances. Apart from the two where he was self-isolating, he's only missed one game - that was against Killie last week.

Despite not having played much football before the last triple header, Griffiths still made by far the biggest contribution of any striker apart from Dykes. He scored his penalty in Belgrade, and looked the most likely to score in Slovakia after coming off the bench. Despite his limited minutes he's also still scored more goals Shankland this season (and McBurnie, though he's obviously playing in a different league).

Heading into that England game in 2017, he didn't start a single game from January to April, and then only started the final 6 matches of the season. He only had a single sub appearance in each of January, February, March and April, which suggests that he was fit and still training, a similar situation to now.

Given that his role is almost entirely going to be as an impact sub, I'd much rather have him in the squad than someone like Shankland, Burke or Nisbet.

Is Griffiths is fit and hasn't been completely out of the picture at celtic, he will be in the squad. Simple as that. He offers us something that none of the others can. In saying that, it's very much down to him. Lennon has shafted him a bit recently and flung him under the bus so we'll see how he reacts to it.

If it's Nisbet v Shankland, I'm very much leaning towards Nisbet who I reckon will get a chance in the March games. Apart from being on far better form, he's a better all round player and probably more suited to the Scotland team.