Strikers coming through

Having watched Tony Watt this season so far, he’s got the potential to be back in he squad. As he did when he first won his cap. Now he’s in no way ready, but if he has a good season and has finally shown he’s screwed the nut, he may be of use to Scotland. I’d expect him to be back down south next season if he keeps his form up though which may not be the best thing for him.

Having watched Tony Watt this season so far, he’s got the potential to be back in he squad. As he did when he first won his cap. Now he’s in no way ready, but if he has a good season and has finally shown he’s screwed the nut, he may be of use to Scotland. I’d expect him to be back down south next season if he keeps his form up though which may not be the best thing for him.

Watt has had plenty false dawns before. Let’s not get too excited.

On 8/13/2018 at 16:11, forameus said:

* Stage 1: Player not involved, massive calls for him to be involved, hype builds

Stage 2: Player starts getting involved, looks like he might be an answer, if not the answer
Stage 3: Things start to go sour
Stage 4: Proclaimed as shite, neverhasbeen, neverwillbe, usually while looking longingly at the next player reaching stage 1.

Spot on assessment of Scotland fans / media!

I do think that there's a strong tendency (and I've been guilty of it myself with players from Rhodes, to Kris Boyd and way back to Scott Booth) of equating early success with blindly thinking/hoping a striker will be our goal scoring machine for years to come. The reality, is that despite good initial goal scoring returns, these players are usually not of a high enough standard to do it regularly, and/or don't offer enough to the overall team given the limitations of the squad as whole.

Similarly, if a striker doesn't score in their first 5-6 caps, we tend to write them off as not good enough, regardless of how they actually played. I was guilty of this with Griffiths who had some pretty mediocre performances in his first few caps, but with the confidence of the goals against England looked so much better having bedded into international football.

With McBurnie, it could be a similar situation. He's not scored for the NT yet, and looks a bit rough around the edges, but he's only 22, has good physical assets to be a number 9. In addition, he's wracked up a decent number of minutes at EPL level, before scoring a good number of goals in the Championship for Barnsley and now Swansea, so he certainly looks like a player we should persist with and give  enough chances to prove if he can cut it at international level.

Edited by gtbahfm
Edited to say Swansea instead of Leeds!

1 hour ago, gtbahfm said:

With McBurnie, it could be a similar situation. He's not scored for the NT yet, and looks a bit rough around the edges, but he's only 22, has good physical assets to be a number 9. In addition, he's wracked up a decent number of minutes at EPL level, before scoring a good number of goals in the Championship for Barnsley and now Leeds, so he certainly looks like a player we should persist with and give  enough chances to prove if he can cut it at international level.

I agree with your assessment here (although he's playing for Swansea not Leeds), I really wasn't convinced McBurnie would go on to be anything great but I watched the game last night and I thought he was superb. Took both of his goals very well and was a complete nuisance for 90 minutes. If he continues to improve then I think he'll be a good player for Scotland.

I agree with your assessment here (although he's playing for Swansea not Leeds), I really wasn't convinced McBurnie would go on to be anything great but I watched the game last night and I thought he was superb. Took both of his goals very well and was a complete nuisance for 90 minutes. If he continues to improve then I think he'll be a good player for Scotland.

^^^ This!!!

1 hour ago, Blootoon87 said:
On 8/23/2018 at 16:44, Coooombe said:
With McBurnie and Griffiths we definitely have the most glaikit looking strikeforce in world football. 

That's without pouring petrol on the glaiket fire by having Oliver Burke in the team.

Flame-grilled glaikitness

Missed this but Jack Aitchison went out on loan to Dumbarton in League One till January.

Interesting to see how he does. At that level you'd hope he'd show up well. Started yesterday and played the whole game.

Wonder why the mooted loan move to Dundee Utd didn't happen. Does Rodgers feel he's not up to Championship level yet?

• 11 months later...