Dumbarton v Arbroath.

I like to think that I'm pretty good at being neutral. But I genuinely didn't know Arbroath had a strong penalty shout until I came on here. I'm more than happy to wait until SonsTV comes out to see it again though. 
Anyway, I think both our teams are extremely similar which is why the game ended up being a slog. Neither side has a great deal of pace and both have seriously strong centre-backs. Two moments of quality from the two most talented players on the pitch was always going to be the only way Dowie/Barr and Little/O'Brien were beaten.
What I would say is that Forfar looked better than anyone (ourselves, Arbroath and East Fife) in the final third. If we're basing predictions on what we've seen so far I'd fancy them to finish ahead of both of us.

I think I’ve seen yourself on twitter replying to another neutral who said

‘Even Dumbarton fans saw the Arbroath 'penalty', right?’

And that we had every right to feel aggrieved. I’ll need to see it back but Kader was one on one with Adam, had no reason to go down. It was probably a red card and a penalty, then Grant Adam looked like he slapped or punched Kader after too. Which could’ve been another red.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol: this had turned quite laughable very quickly... There wasn't much in the game today. Arbroath probably had more of the ball overall (mostly due to our inability to keep possession) but I still think we worked their 'keeper more than they worked Adam. Draw was a fair result but both teams weren't great.

I'm not even kidding when I say I only briefly remember the "penalty claim". I remember shouting about an Arbroath player diving but I don't particularly remember it being in the box...

It does seem like very sour grapes from the Arbroath fans at the moment mind you :lol:

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

And that we had every right to feel aggrieved. I’ll need to see it back but Kader was one on one with Adam, had no reason to go down. It was probably a red card and a penalty, then Grant Adam looked like he slapped or punched Kader after too. Which could’ve been another red.

Are you always this much of a wind up?

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

You have aye. You're assuming the chap running it was a neutral and at the game though...I saw them describe Airdrie's red card as dubious too. Can't have been in two places at once, and can't have seen the highlights.

I'm genuinely confused though. I thought it was Dyer who should've conceded the penalty. Or was there two incidents? 

I remember Adam sliding out at Kader about 5 yards out from goal at an angle, but there didn't seem to be any complaints. A red needs can only be given if there's no attempt made to play the ball too - so even if it was a penalty he wouldn't have been off. That was a few minutes after the handbags incident though.

There wasn't a lot in it. Kader tried to block a drop kick and Adam shoved him out the way. He certainly didn't punch him.

14 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It’s not even worth replying if that’s your opinion, Arbroath were all over Dumbarton for 160 minutes of they play off games. A blind man could see it. And the worst Sons team in a decade is clearly this one, not last years

Last season's Sons team was probably worse than our 2010/11 one where we only just avoided relegation to League Two. At least it had a goalscorer in Jon McShane and some top boys in Pat Walker and Mark Gilhaney. Alan Adamson got us playing some good stuff too.

Though based on league positions I suppose it was actually our title winning squad of 08/09. 

Last season's squad was garbage though. A ramshackle collection of jobbers, loanees and diddies - with only a few exceptions. I watched (and wrote about) them near enough 50 times, and it was painful to watch for the most part.

Anyway, that's going off topic. In terms of watching enjoyment last year was as bad as I've seen since 07/08. Not to say we had bad players (we did mind you) they were just brutal together.

Last season's Sons team was probably worse than our 2010/11 one where we only just avoided relegation to League Two. At least it had a goalscorer in Jon McShane and some top boys in Pat Walker and Mark Gilhaney. Alan Adamson got us playing some good stuff too.
Though based on league positions I suppose it was actually our title winning squad of 08/09. 
Last season's squad was garbage though. A ramshackle collection of jobbers, loanees and diddies - with only a few exceptions. I watched (and wrote about) them near enough 50 times, and it was painful to watch for the most part.
Anyway, that's going off topic. In terms of watching enjoyment last year was as bad as I've seen since 07/08. Not to say we had bad players (we did mind you) they were just brutal together.

It was a ball over the head of Dyer, Kader took a touch and was one on one with Adam, brought down, Adam then either punched or slapped Kader after.

Lol at the man child btw, no wonder people drive.

28 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

If you really want to believe that Arbroath were superior to us today then batter in. We were shite and Arbroath were equal in the shiteness stakes. 

I didn’t think Arbroath were shite at all today. Granted they lacked the killer instinct in the final third but they were were organised and solid at the back, closed us down well and generally made better use of the ball in possession than we did.

We on the other hand lacked composure on the ball and too often tried the direct approach when it clearly wasn’t working. The few times we did try to pass our way forward was the few times we actually looked decent. Carswell may as well not have bothered playing the first half given how far off the pace he was, slightly improved in the second. Barr, Loy and Hutton equally poor.

I didn’t think Arbroath were shite at all today. Granted they lacked the killer instinct in the final third but they were were organised and solid at the back, closed us down well and generally made better use of the ball in possession than we did.
We on the other hand lacked composure on the ball and too often tried the direct approach when it clearly wasn’t working. The few times we did try to pass our way forward was the few times we actually looked decent. Carswell may as well not have bothered playing the first half given how far off the pace he was, slightly improved in the second. Barr, Loy and Hutton equally poor.

Craig or Bobby? Thought both Barr’s were good, Bobby is a proper winger. Didn’t think much of Hutton or Loy, really rate Forbes and Gallagher. Such an annoying goal to lose but it was a great strike, Gallagher gave us a much harder time than Loy did in his time on the park. I think you’ve got a lot of good players there but really don’t think you’ve found the best way of using them yet. Barr and Gallagher should play every week, think you need their pace.

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Craig or Bobby? Thought both Barr’s were good, Bobby is a proper winger. Didn’t think much of Hutton or Loy, really rate Forbes and Gallagher. Such an annoying goal to lose but it was a great strike, Gallagher gave us a much harder time than Loy did in his time on the park. I think you’ve got a lot of good players there but really don’t think you’ve found the best way of using them yet. Barr and Gallagher should play every week, think you need their pace.

Bobby. Not at the races today.

34 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Have you seen a lot of Ross Forbes?

Have you seen a lot of Ross Forbes?

Yes. Love the lower leagues, I’ll sit and watch all the YT highlights every week. Wasn’t that long ago I was saying to my United supporting pals in work that he would’ve been a good signing for them.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It’s not even worth replying if that’s your opinion, Arbroath were all over Dumbarton for 160 minutes of they play off games. A blind man could see it. And the worst Sons team in a decade is clearly this one, not last years

michael-crawford-frank-spencer-some-mothers-do-have-em.thumb.png.f5c4573f3f73ce169b955a2ceeb0d9b7.png

I see Sons TV highlights are up.

Do any Dumbarton fans want to comment on 4:16 to 4:20?

At the match, I thought that Kader was clipped inside the box by the defender. The video at 4:16 hasn't changed my mind. I still think it's a penalty.

However, the referee (who was dreadful for both sides) didn't give it. Accordingly the ball is still in play.

At 4:19, Kader gets up and Adams hits him. Omar wasn't challenging for the ball or doing anything else to warrant the assault. My understanding of the laws is that that's a penalty too.

Does anyone disagree?

Think we genuinely have the angriest fans in the world it’s faf,

Last week at home to stranraer at 1-1 and pishing on them there was hell coming from the terraces and then again today when dumbarton equalised.

Folk are fickle, remember (or do not) the lumsden days getting scudded by [emoji90]. Got a very very good part time squad Thomson, swanks, Ricky, TOB etc...

Archived