Dumbarton v Arbroath.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

50 at best.

That would be disappointing, given how well Arbroath have been doing. I’d have expected closer to the numbers 1320Lichtie reckoned.

I actually think this is the toughest fixture we could have right now. Arbroath have a tremendous away record* in the league, stretching back quite a while. If we’re not right on it, we’ll be in trouble.

*I make it, since their return to L1: P19, W11, D3, L5.

That would be disappointing, given how well Arbroath have been doing. I’d have expected closer to the numbers 1320Lichtie reckoned.
I actually think this is the toughest fixture we could have right now. Arbroath have a tremendous away record* in the league, stretching back quite a while. If we’re not right on it, we’ll be in trouble.
*I make it, since their return to L1: P19, W11, D3, L5.

It’s a fair trek from here, depending on traffic you could be nearer 3 hours. The supporters bus as of now is only around half full

14 hours ago, stan3600 said:

I’m judging from this thread that we’re pretty confident that Dick knows his starting XI and that we mostly agree with him. emoji57.png

13 hours ago, afc_36_0 said:

Think our only position up for grabs is right mid, denholm needs to find his mojo, kadar does a job but nothing spectacular. Think gold deserves to stay in the team so maybe give him a run out wide

Agree with both of these posts; it's a weird position to be in where pretty much everyone agrees on our strongest 11/ formation at this point in time. Danny Denholm is clearly a better overall player than Omar in my opinion, but on current form Omar deserves to keep his place and Danny needs to come off the bench in the next few weeks and show why he should be starting.

Agree with both of these posts; it's a weird position to be in where pretty much everyone agrees on our strongest 11/ formation at this point in time. Danny Denholm is clearly a better overall player than Omar in my opinion, but on current form Omar deserves to keep his place and Danny needs to come off the bench in the next few weeks and show why he should be starting.

Based on Wednesday Danny is desperately low on confidence, could have been all so different if he had buried that one on one he had. I’m not overly worried tho, he will come good eventually in the next month or so

It wasn't until I did all the maths that I realised how many goals you guys have scored so far this season. 

We're going to need to score at least twice today to take anything imo.

16 in 6 games, 17 in 7 including irn bru?

Seen a stat that in first two league games we’ve had 42 shots on goal haha. Hopefully continues today but one of the harder trips we will have this season I imagine.

11 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

16 in 6 games, 17 in 7 including irn bru?

Seen a stat that in first two league games we’ve had 42 shots on goal haha. Hopefully continues today but one of the harder trips we will have this season I imagine.

17 I made it on our infographic. A load in the second-half too. 

That's a decent stat. I'm not sure we had 42 shots across the whole of last season - I actually worked out the number of shots on target we had in the League in 2018 a few months back :lol:. I'm sure it was an average of 2.8 on goal per game or something!

I thought we were just as good if not better than Dumbarton in the play offs, simply shot ourselves in the foot at the end of the first leg. Said at the time they wouldn’t get past Alloa.

We have definitely strengthened since then, better goalkeeper, stronger defence with the addition of Thomson who has been superb, more settled front two who seem to be really clicking well together. Maybe the only area we aren’t as strong is the middle of the pitch where I still don’t think we have properly replaced Martin.

How are Dumbarton compared to last year? Poor result last week but seem to have bounced back well during the week and there’s no doubting Aitken is a good manager at this level.

a point wouldn’t be the worst but a win would keep the run going and an excellent start to the season.

22 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

How are Dumbarton compared to last year? Poor result last week but seem to have bounced back well during the week and there’s no doubting Aitken is a good manager at this level.

On paper, stronger than last season. On grass, the jury is still out.

Today will be a good market of where we are heading this season. I fully expect arbroath to be in the top 4 come May so a win today would give me confidence that we’ll be there with them. A defeat and we’ll need to start reassessing our expectations.

A draw wouldn’t be the worst result by any means, but only if it comes with a good performance. 

Hopefully Tuesday night gave Aitken some confidence to set out a team able take a game to our opponent. 4-4-2 for me with Beany and Gal up top. No point debating the centre midfield as we’ll go with the default pair. Paton and Forbes on the wing then. 

I thought we were just as good if not better than Dumbarton in the play offs, simply shot ourselves in the foot at the end of the first leg. Said at the time they wouldn’t get past Alloa.
We have definitely strengthened since then, better goalkeeper, stronger defence with the addition of Thomson who has been superb, more settled front two who seem to be really clicking well together. Maybe the only area we aren’t as strong is the middle of the pitch where I still don’t think we have properly replaced Martin.
a point wouldn’t be the worst but a win would keep the run going and an excellent start to the season.
We have retained 6 players from the 20 odd who were with us during the playoffs so it's effectively an entirely new squad of players. IMO we have better players this season than we did last season but we also have a smaller squad a severe lack of depth.

1 hour ago, Jordo1872 said:

Today will be a good market of where we are heading this season. I fully expect arbroath to be in the top 4 come May so a win today would give me confidence that we’ll be there with them. A defeat and we’ll need to start reassessing our expectations.

A draw wouldn’t be the worst result by any means, but only if it comes with a good performance. 

Hopefully Tuesday night gave Aitken some confidence to set out a team able take a game to our opponent. 4-4-2 for me with Beany and Gal up top. No point debating the centre midfield as we’ll go with the default pair. Paton and Forbes on the wing then. 

No place for Bobby Barr??? Best player on the Park midweek by some distance I thought.

ETA: I wouldn't drop anyone for Forbes.

Well that was a crazy last couple of hours. Went down at half 10 to make sure everything was ok only to find the rain had washed the lines away. Had to line the whole park again in world record time. First time I've lined it since I came back so give me a bit of slack with a couple of the dodgy lines lol.

Archived