Flanders area

tbsouth

Belgium is often overlooked and slightly mocked but I like it. Ghent and Antwerp are worth a visit. Brugge is nice but touristy. Brussels is a bit meh. 

Is it with an eye to looking at WW1 stuff? Ypres worth a visit even if only for a day.  If you want some time ideas feel free to PM me - especially for WW1 stuff. 

My regular route to Flanders is convoluted but cheap. Easyjet Glas to Luton. Train from Luton airport to St Pancras. Eurostar to Lille then couple of local trains to Ypres.  Whole trip comes in less than £200

Belgian train are cheap and efficient even if the rolling stock and stations can be a bit tired. 

16 hours ago, PWL said:

Belgian train are cheap and efficient even if the rolling stock and stations can be a bit tired. 

Not always the case mate. A couple of years ago I got stranded at Braine I'Alleud station for five hours after some heavy rain flooded the tracks. They were hopeless. Luckily there was a decent pub across from the station so I had ample time to sample some Belgian beer before the replacement bus finally pitched up.

I agree about Antwerp and Ghent. Two of my favourite European cities.

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Do you review hotels on Tripadvisor?

Ha. Alas no.

What I meant is the actual trains are really quite scabby . Scotrail for their faults generally put on half modern trains. Belgian ones tend to be one up from bench seats. The difference is the service tends to work. 

Ghent is a great town, great food, really nice city centre.  Antwerp can be a bit grungy but has good nightlife, Brugge is very touristy and pretty.

If doing WWI stuff I would recommend having a car as a lot of the really interesting commemorative places are way out in the countryside, although Ypres is a really nice town with lots to see related to the great war and you can get to the town by train no problem.  Driving is pretty straightforward in Belgium, a lot more relaxed than the toll-road mad French and the bicycle mad Dutch.  

16 hours ago, tbsouth said:

Cheers for the info, Flixbus from Amsterdam is also a cheaper option than the train. (same time too)

I see you can get it from Schiphol Airport too, direct to Ghent for about £18 return. Might go for a weekend with flights from Inverness.

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I see you can get it from Schiphol Airport too, direct to Ghent for about £18 return. Might go for a weekend with flights from Inverness.

How much are your flights? Easyjet from Edinburgh x4 is £215.. then the bus to Ghent...so not too bad

3 minutes ago, tbsouth said:

How much are your flights? Easyjet from Edinburgh x4 is £215.. then the bus to Ghent...so not too bad

At least double, probably treble, no dates in mind. Free sandwich and drink on KLM though, wahayy! Sounds cheaper for you than the ferry but your kids would love the sea route, just went to Stornoway just for the trip, there's f**k all there.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

At least double, probably treble, no dates in mind. Free sandwich and drink on KLM though, wahayy! Sounds cheaper for you than the ferry but your kids would love the sea route, just went to Stornoway just for the trip, there's f**k all there.

Ferry from Newcastle is £180 then 2 buses to Ghent so much the same really...but 2 extra days holiday i suppose.

1 minute ago, tbsouth said:

Ferry from Newcastle is £180 then 2 buses to Ghent so much the same really...but 2 extra days holiday i suppose.

How old are your kids? Driving to Newcastle and an overnight ferry could be a disaster or a big adventure depending on the age and how it goes. Flying and jumping on the bus would be the stress free choice.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

How old are your kids? Driving to Newcastle and an overnight ferry could be a disaster or a big adventure depending on the age and how it goes. Flying and jumping on the bus would be the stress free choice.

10 and 13....as long as there is wifi.. 

Easyjet Edinburgh to Amsterdam then Flixbus + £340

Train to Newcastle Ferry to ljmuiden bus to Ghent = £410

Train to Hull ferry to Zeebrugge train to Ghent = £470

Looks like flying then, also late flight home so gives you a full day in Amsterdam

3 hours ago, tbsouth said:

Easyjet Edinburgh to Amsterdam then Flixbus + £340

Train to Newcastle Ferry to ljmuiden bus to Ghent = £410

Train to Hull ferry to Zeebrugge train to Ghent = £470

Looks like flying then, also late flight home so gives you a full day in Amsterdam

That's a really good price for 4. Just looked at the train from Amsterdam, 2 hours, changing at Antwerp, compared to 3 1/2 by bus. Much dearer though.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

That's a really good price for 4. Just looked at the train from Amsterdam, 2 hours, changing at Antwerp, compared to 3 1/2 by bus. Much dearer though.

Yeh the train is working out double the price compared to Flixbus....what's another90 mins!

Archived