Roast dinner on a Sunday?

Ylf

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/08/2018 at 20:02, supermik said:

I always roast the beef in the morning, allow it to cool and then slice it. About 40 mins before serving I put gravy in a pan then add the sliced meat to it and gently allow it to simmer till serving. 

You must have learned to cook in a cheap pub or The Horn on the A90 as this is the perfect example of how roast beef shouldn't be cooked.

I do a roast about once a month - usually chicken or pork shoulder as they are pretty cheap but tasty.  You can get pork from Tesco for about a fiver a kilo.

When I do roast beef - and only 2/3 times a year - then I buy either sirloin or a rib roast from the butcher.  It may cost £40 a kilo  but it's worth it.  Cook it medium rare  and it is sensational.  Reheat it in gravy then it is utter shite.

6 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

You must have learned to cook in a cheap pub or The Horn on the A90 as this is the perfect example of how roast beef shouldn't be cooked.

I do a roast about once a month - usually chicken or pork shoulder as they are pretty cheap but tasty.  You can get pork from Tesco for about a fiver a kilo.

When I do roast beef - and only 2/3 times a year - then I buy either sirloin or a rib roast from the butcher.  It may cost £40 a kilo  but it's worth it.  Cook it medium rare  and it is sensational.  Reheat it in gravy then it is utter shite.

Yes- but cook a brisket or other such cut faster than it should be to medium, then warm through in a 'bath' of gravy (I just use beef stock) produces slices which are flavoursome and moist. 

Archived