Roast dinner on a Sunday?

Ylf

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Smell of roast chicken is wafting out of our kitchen as I type this. This is my other half's speciality which she usually serves with carrots, peas, roasted tatties, and delicious gravy.

The price of whole chickens in the supermarkets makes it well worth while - tomorrow we'll have chicken and chips with the left overs.

The chicken is always the best value in the dine in for 2 from M&S as well.

I love having a roast on a Sunday. I just log into P&B and post on it. :)

I do love a roast dinner on a Sunday but in the modern world it is slowly becoming a lost art. Too much work to slam a piece of meat into an oven for an hour or so, lazy bassas. The smell of the meat cooking wafting it's aroma around the house can be a sensory overload, I usually cut small tasters off pretending to see if it has been seasoned enough.

Basting the prized piece of tender meat and tending to if often, hmmmmmmmm.

Sometimes served with butter mash as well as roast potatoes. Sometimes with puff pastry or Yorkshire puddings. Sometimes we modernise the roast to bring it up to date by trying out new ways to cook the veg and also experimenting with the gravy. Sometimes we screw it up and others we totally enjoyed.

You really can't beat a roast to bring the family together especially on a Sunday. It's what families are made of.

The 2nd greatest thing about cooking a Sunday roast is the reaction of your fellow eaters. The best thing is the fact that you can stuff your face with the "accidental" cuts of meat that are not worth putting on folks plates,

Try adding a teaspoon or two of Dijon mustard, makes a big difference. 
i like the idea of that so will be giving it a bash so thanks.

problem with making a roast dinner is being stuffed by the time its ready. sure im not the only greedy b*****d scoffing whilst they cook!?

whats everyone's favourite condiment to accompany their dinner?

chicken = gravy and a whole pickled beetroot
roast beef = gravy, pickle and mustard
gammon = tomato ketchup
Lamb = gravy

3 minutes ago, supermik said:

The 2nd greatest thing about cooking a Sunday roast is the reaction of your fellow eaters. The best thing is the fact that you can stuff your face with the "accidental" cuts of meat that are not worth putting on folks plates,

I know some folk like to cool the roast first but banging that steaming hot pile of perfectly seasoned piece of meat onto the table certainly opens a few eyes a bit wider. Smell of it still crackling in the roasting tray straight from the oven. The there's the embarrassment of not cooking it long enough and has to go back in the oven for a while longer and the rest of the roast dinner has to lay  out or get reheated. The looks on peoples faces says it all. :lol:

I think I know the bits you are talking about it? The crispy bits and the fatty bits? An extra smothering of gravy usually does it for me.

13 hours ago, supermik said:

this, very much so - we had roast beef yesterday, and I had both almost caramelised ends off the joint before it got near the dining table on the basis that "they looked a bit too well done to serve up"

I’m starving reading all these posts. Sunday dinner still seems popular then. Might make a roast chicken next Sunday. Get the pics up guys

I wanted to leave them in the oven a bit longer but some people were impatient!

IMG_1891.jpg

Archived